Bring Back Mr MacPhisto Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulrg

Refugee
What do y'all think?

Do we need him now more than ever?

Do the Bush family miss him? Could Bono get away with it now or would it detract from his efforts on the global stage?

I miss the old guy, what's the chance of him making an appearance during the night of Vertigo? Perhaps entering to the opening notes of ... what?

So many questions.

Six weeks till they're answered.

Last edited:
I think if he was brought back again, it would be a very fleeting appearence, and he would have to be a lot more careful with what he said this time around!
For instance, if he was to say the things he said on the Sydney ZooTV vid, a lot of ppl wouldnt get the joke...

Aardvark747 said:
I think if he was brought back again, it would be a very fleeting appearence, and he would have to be a lot more careful with what he said this time around!
For instance, if he was to say the things he said on the Sydney ZooTV vid, a lot of ppl wouldnt get the joke...

Unfortunately I fear this is true. Free speech is not cheap anymore thanks to lawyers and interest groups and generally unoriginal folk with too much time on their hands and a retentive backside. Therefore we do need him more than ever.

I would LOVE to see Macphisto make a return. (Or The Fly, for that matter.) But unfortunately I don't think it's too likely. We might get a sly reference to it...a pair of devil horns one night, maybe. Or a speech or a phone call in the Macphisto accent. But I don't think Bono will ever do the whole character again.

i think the whole character generation stage is over...

now its just paul hewson playing bono..:wink:

:no: :no: :scream: No MacPhisto. It's scaring and makes Bono look ridiculous. I like The Fly :wink: but I really prefer just Bono, with no shades. I know it won't happen, though.

They should go back to the homeless stylings of the Joshua Tree days:wink:

I liked the character macphisto with 1 exception.....

the smug version of with or without you during the zootv tour. Where he is basically speaking the lines. It's like bad comedy karaoke to one of their best songs.

Loved him for everything else, just not that song.

New alter-ego for Bono would be nice. But what kind of character could he be in during the tour? I would picture him in a jumpsuit, sort of reminds me of Kim Jong Ill-type.......................

BonoFan78 said:
I liked the character macphisto with 1 exception.....

the smug version of with or without you during the zootv tour. Where he is basically speaking the lines. It's like bad comedy karaoke to one of their best songs.

Loved him for everything else, just not that song.

It starts off kitsch or like comedy karoake as you say but by the end of it he is singing with real passion. It's the transformation from MacPhisto back to Bono.

miss becky said:
I would LOVE to see Macphisto make a return. (Or The Fly, for that matter.) But unfortunately I don't think it's too likely. We might get a sly reference to it...a pair of devil horns one night, maybe. Or a speech or a phone call in the Macphisto accent. But I don't think Bono will ever do the whole character again.

Or maybe they'll show concert footage from a ZooTV concert on one of the video screens, like when they showed excerpts from older U2 videos during ZooTV, thus referencing their past?

Now that i'm older, and don't burst into tears in fear at the sight of him as I did when I was younger, I would like to see him resurrected, although as mentioned earlier, I think he'd lack the lustre of his '93 self. In that sense, I guess it's better to leave the memory be.
I'm not too sure Bono could pull it off as well now either in terms of the humour he used back then.

Bono has done a few MacPhisto related things recently...have any of u all heard that phone message that was posted here a while back?

"Into the Heart of a child, I'll stay a while...Hello boys, Hello girls, MacPhisto here"

Speaking of resurrecting things from the past, I have the strongest feeling that U2 will add Stories for Boys to the setlist too

Last edited:
I don´t like the idea of Bono repeating what he has done in the past. He did it, was great, and now it should remain as a memory. A new character would be great, but I can´t see that happening either.

financeguy said:

Or maybe they'll show concert footage from a ZooTV concert on one of the video screens, like when they showed excerpts from older U2 videos during ZooTV, thus referencing their past?

That would be sweet. :up:

I love Macphisto... But if Bono bring him back, I`t might ruin our good memory.... It is best to quit while you`re on top! Let Macphisto live on as we know him!

A new character... hmmm.. yummy!!:wink:

Macphisto, bless his little golden horns, was fantastic, but he was very much a child of ZooTV and would look out-of-place anywhere else IMO. BTW, I totally hated his rendition of With or Without You as well.

Back
Top Bottom