"Boyo" -- Bono's lost solo album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So in the mid-80s, I seem to remember something being published in Hot Press (or some such publication) about Bono's "lost" solo album, titled "Boyo," recorded during 6 months in 1986. Of course this was a sham -- the song titles were things like "I Still Haven't Found What I Stuck It On" -- but it recently got me thinking about what a Bono solo album, composed of a representative sample of his solo work, would look like.

So I've put one together.

This isn't exhaustive, it doesn't include everything Bono's done on his own (I have about 30 or so such tracks), but I've tested out this playlist and it seems to hold up nicely. 12 songs, 53 minutes -- right up the alley for U2's usual album standards.

I already know I'm going to be hit with "How could you not include 'In a Lifetime' or 'Billy Boola'?" In my mind, when putting an album together, you want songs that somewhat flow into each other, and these songs each seem to flow nicely from one to the next. This almost seems to be in thirds -- the blues/jazz stuff up front, the more classical strings section second, then the more up-tempo, rawk-ish stuff third.

Anyway, try it out yourselves, and share what you think...

== Boyo 2005 ==
1. Let the Good Times Roll (w/ Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles)
2. That's Life
3. I've Got You Under My Skin (w/ Frank Sinatra)
4. Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
5. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (w/ Jools Holland)
6. Save the Children (w/ Marvin Gaye)
7. Stay (w/ Craig Armstrong)
8. Hallelujah
9. In the Name of the Father (w/ Gavin Friday)
10. Tomorrow (w/ Adam Clayton)
11. What's Going On (w/ Coldplay)
12. Can't Help Falling in Love With You (soundtrack)

Songs that almost made the cut but didn't seem to fit:
- Dreaming with Tears in My Eyes
- Silver and Gold '86

Something I wasn't expecting was the strong jazz influence on Bono -- makes me wonder if, once U2 finally decides to call it a night, he'll continue in this vein.

Dreaming... :drool: :drool:

and both Hallelujah and Can't help are amazing.

I would have added I'm not your baby, feat. Sinéad... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Aren't most of these collaborations, not true solo works? I was under the impression that with the possible exception of the soundtranck to "Captive" by The Edge, that none of the members of U2 has really done any true solo work. I could well be wrong as I haven't really followed much lately, but that's my impression.

I think you're right there...Adam and Larry's take on Mission Impossible hardly counts as solo work either, since it's a DUO and a SINGLE, at that...I guess they just go well as a foursome, except The Edge with Captive I'm told

Pretty much all those songs are collaborations so they really can't be considered "solo" Bono songs." For example even the U2 songs I really wouldn't be solo, because even if bono wrote the words it was U2 that came up with the music(then jools holland or whoever played it again) Bono and Edge cowrote "Two Shots of Happy" and it was recorded by U2, so it's definitely not a solo song.

I think for a true representation of Bono's solo work, you need to look at "American Prayer." :barf:

ImOuttaControl said:
Pretty much all those songs are collaborations so they really can't be considered "solo" Bono songs." For example even the U2 songs I really wouldn't be solo, because even if bono wrote the words it was U2 that came up with the music(then jools holland or whoever played it again) Bono and Edge cowrote "Two Shots of Happy" and it was recorded by U2, so it's definitely not a solo song.

I think for a true representation of Bono's solo work, you need to look at "American Prayer." :barf:

This is messy work, at best, I agree. (Though from Bill Flanagan's book, Bono came up with most of the stuff for "Two Shots of Happy" and dragged Edge into it after a night of debauchery just before meeting Bill Clinton.) However, it's pretty clear that Bono set the pace for a lot of these one-off songs, so it gives an insight into what his own proclivities might be...and what an album on his own MIGHT look like....

Besides, didn't he write American Prayer with the other Eurhythmic? And I think that song's okay ... "If you get to the top of the mountain, would you tell me what you see?" is kind of a nice lyric.

The Disciple said:
Damn... where can I get that version of If You Wear That Velvet Dress?:huh:

Hidden behind this link

h**p://s50.y s i .com/d.aspx?id=0HCZCYFU3JE1N1AY3KKHZUOD5Z

Back
Top Bottom