Boy versus How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is better?

• Boy

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 64 52.5%

• Total voters
axver, you're a sonofabitch...
this poll very clearly steers this entire forum down a path more dangerous than we can possibly imagine.:ohmy:
personally, i'm terrified. the fallout from the ensuing events is certain to be worse than a tsunami, the death toll catastrophic.
frankly, i may be too scared to vote.
:ohmy:

the road to the apocalypse...
to the very fires of hell!

if you believe that sort of shit.:huh:

the rockin edge said:
and just how does this poll lead to the very fire of hell? :scratch:

alright, i can see you're not getting this. in this post i'll take nothing for granted. therefore, in order to get you up to speed:

1. u2 is a rock band. rock music was apparently invented by the devil to woo the pants off of young people or something like that.

2.u2 is from ireland and have a rabid following.
i like u2. you also like u2.
people in ireland like beer. u2 like beer. i like beer.

3. the colors on the irish flag are green, white, and orange.
ireland is in europe. apparently u2 are europeans.
and they like americans.
go figure.

4. there have been a few polls recently comparing 1990's u2 albums to HTDAAB -
the discussions in these threads have been quite 'energetic'

5. this poll is comparing 'boy', u2's first album, to HTDAAB (which stands for 'how to dismantle an atomic bomb') - u2's most recent release.
presumably, this is in response to a request to compare HTDAAB to albums from the band's '80's catalogue.

6. U2 had 7 or 8 releases in the '80's, depending on how you count things. this thread could represent the beginning of a series of polls comparing HTDAAB to those albums. considering the amount of venom already vented in the prior polls...

well, as i said before, this path can only lead to one place...chaos - destruction - seas boiling - fire and brimstone- dogs and cats living together - Mass Hysteria!

if any of the above points are in any way ambiguous, i would be happy to clarify.:wink:

It's SO difficult for me to choose one or the other. While both albums share common themes (e.g. mortality) they're coming from totally different places.

Thematically, it's the difference between being in control of your environment, or letting it control you.

For example, there's "Out of Control": "One day I'll die / The choice will not be mine / Will it be too late / You can't fight fate" and then there's "Crumbs": "Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die," which, I think, invites us to challenge the fate of those less fortunate than ourselves. "Boy" is sort of hopeless, but "HTDAAB" is full of hope.

I love them both, but I had to go with HTDAAB because it's a more mature album created by 4 seriously rockin' men. :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

1. JT
2. AB
3. TUF
4. Boy
5. HTDAAB

They are close but I had to go with Boy. Like Axver said it never stops growing on me... it's an awesome album for a debut :rockon:

Achtung_Bebe said:
"HTDAAB" is full of hope.

This description keeps appearing in these forums - why is Bomb considered an "uplifting" album?

The only two optimistic songs on it, as far as I can tell, are All because of you and (in a way) Original of the species.

U2girl said:

This description keeps appearing in these forums - why is Bomb considered an "uplifting" album?

The only two optimistic songs on it, as far as I can tell, are All because of you and (in a way) Original of the species.
i reckon 'miracle drug' is hopeful, if not triumphant. same for yaweh. at least that's how i hear them...

atomic bomb. Boy is a great album, but it's kinda rude recorded, obviously depending of that time.
But it's curious to notice how both albums begin almost the same, there's a great similarity between I Will Follow and Vertigo.

nightninja56 said:

whats wrong with those two songs?

AMAAW makes me feel like I'm listening to a band of 60-year-olds, and Yahweh just makes me cringe with the synthesizers. Live/acoustic it's nice, but the album version is not up to par.

I think someone made a comment about HTDAAB sounding "sterile" from the overproduction, and I have to heartily agree.

I like Boy better as a whole. Another Time Another Place --> Electric Co --> Shadows and Tall Trees is one of my favorite album closers, and I think the majority of the other songs are really strong too. HTDAAB is sort of hit and miss with me. I really loved hearing City of Blinding Lights and Love and Peace live. Most of the other songs I'd consider to be "good" songs but I don't really want to listen to them over and over.

And that is a fact. :wink:

dudeman said:

6. U2 had 7 or 8 releases in the '80's, depending on how you count things. this thread could represent the beginning of a series of polls comparing HTDAAB to those albums. considering the amount of venom already vented in the prior polls...

well, as i said before, this path can only lead to one place...chaos - destruction - seas boiling - fire and brimstone- dogs and cats living together - Mass Hysteria!

ah :wink:

i wnder who will start the next in this series of polls :hmm:
i see you out there, sneaking around, biding your time until we seem our most content...and then blammo, you hit us with another one of these polls.

which one of you will it be?!?!?!? :shifty:

Im probably in the minority here but... Boy does absolutely nothing whatsoever for me, its my least favourite U2 album.
The odd song such as I Will Follow, Out Of Control and Electric Co. are ok, but mostly I just find the album boring.

I find HTDAAB a far, far more enjoyable album than Boy.

Have to go with Boy.

I just somehow seem to relate to this album more than HTDAAB. Sure, HTDAAB seems to flow more in its theme, but Boy is all over the place for a reason. It's Bono's teenage angst, confusion, immaturity, anxiety, and aspirations all on display. All these themes are represented in each of the songs.

Original of the Species is Bono reliving his Boy themes through his daughter.

Boy has follow , out of control , stories for boys , electric Co
bomb sucks big time

it's like to choose between 54 year old lady ( bomb ) and 18 year old girl - boy

bomb was done for fm stations and food chain stores

namkcuR said:
It seriously makes me want to scream that Bomb is winning this poll.

:banghead:

why?
it doesn't mean it's better (or worse) - just means that more people here prefer it right now. my favorite albums change on a daily basis, don't yours?

WinnieThePoo said:
Boy has follow , out of control , stories for boys , electric Co
bomb sucks big time

it's like to choose between 54 year old lady ( bomb ) and 18 year old girl - boy

bomb was done for fm stations and food chain stores

well, i can see your point.
but a 54 year old lady has some positives.
first off, WAY less likely to get all psychotically attached - she's past her birthing years, so presumably she's just out for a good time
and she is less likely to hang on your every word and care what you think. that type of confidence is only born out of experience.
speaking of experience - she probably knows what's up. an 18 year old is a relative novice. unless, that is, she is a slut.

also, the analogy doesn't work if you like dudes...

Back
Top Bottom