Boy Remastered in May ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't tell me they're going to remaster the whole catalog all at once now. For JT it made sense because it was the 20th anniversary, but it doesn't make sense to do it on the 28th anniversary of Boy's release :huh:

I don't know if I believe this. If they were planning a release like this, I think they would've been talking it up by now.

I could see a Zooropa remaster in May.... 15 years. Or War. That's 25 years.

hey they gotta make up the money lost from illegal downloads somehow.

theyve already oversaturated their greatest hits market. now its time for remastered discs out the wazoo.

Dusty Bottoms said:

theyve already oversaturated their greatest hits market. now its time for remastered discs out the wazoo.

Yeah. Well, who are we kidding though? We'll all buy the remaster discs.

aww here we go with the complaining. for fuck sake these cds need remastering. thank god they're getting a release. REM have done it, Dylan's done it, the Stones, the Cure, Sonic Youth, etc. Why do people see everything as a money grab??

...and the Joshua Tree was a landmark album, of course that's going to be a remaster that gets promoted as a special anniversary release. I doubt the others are intended as anything more than replacements for the shit quality discs that are being sold now.

Last edited:
Dusty Bottoms said:

really?

Dorian Gray said:
aww here we go with the complaining. for fuck sake these cds need remastering. thank god they're getting a release. REM have done it, Dylan's done it, the Stones, the Cure, Sonic Youth, etc. Why do people see everything as a money grab??

Because people have large chips on their shoulders.

bring on the moaning

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Don't tell me they're going to remaster the whole catalog all at once now. For JT it made sense because it was the 20th anniversary, but it doesn't make sense to do it on the 28th anniversary of Boy's release :huh:

I don't know if I believe this. If they were planning a release like this, I think they would've been talking it up by now.

JT re-release wasn't hyped much either. :shrug:

Wait, why is this a surprise? Just a couple of months ago, we had some quotes that everything was going to be remastered in the immediate future and the forum immediately got spammed with threads creating ideal remaster tracklists. Since we hadn't heard anything about any releases though, I was starting to get skeptical that any of that was true. Nice to see that just maybe, it might be happening. Boy is dying for a remaster and there are so many unreleased songs from that era.

phanan said:
Normally I would agree, but with the recent quotes directly from U2's camp that more remasters are on the way, this seems more than plausible to me.

But 3 released on the same day?? That seems a little off to me.

Not to me. Recently artists such as Depeche Mode and R.E.M. released batches of 2CD sets of their albums, remastered and reissued with lots of extra stuff. I don't see anything as elaborate as the super deluxe Joshua Tree, as that was a 20th anniversary special, but I definitely could see double disc sets of all these released in small amounts.

If indeed there are bonus tracks (and I expect there will be), U2 have shitloads to choose from for Boy. I wonder how much they'd be willing to use, and if the cupboard is so bare for October that its bonuses might in fact be more Boy stuff.

April 1978 demo: Tonight, Trevor, Inside Out, Jack In A Box
1 November 1978 demo: Street Mission, The Fool, Shadows And Tall Trees (was released on iTunes)
February 1979 demo: Lost On A Silent Planet (aka Life On A Distant Planet, The Magic Carpet, Judith, and others), Alone In The Light (aka All In The Light, City At Night), False Prophet (aka I Realise), plus early versions of Another Time Another Place and Twilight

U2:3: Boy/Girl, plus early versions of Out Of Control and Stories For Boys; a demo of A Day Without Me is apparently from this time period too

December 1979 London recording session: Another Day, The Dream Is Over

5-6 April 1980 recording session: 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Touch

Mid-1980 (Boy sessions?): Things To Make And Do

U2 almost certainly also have a studio version of Pete The Chop, as they held onto that song as a potential emergency single until late 1982, when they turned it into Treasure.

Then there are a stack of unreleased songs that may exist in studio form, or that they may have live recordings of. We have recordings circulating of Cartoon World, The Speed Of Life, The Silver Lining (early 11OTT), Inside Out, and The King's New Clothes (early The Dream Is Over). Plus we know of Concentration Cramp and an original song - not a Margin Gaye cover - called What's Going On.

Then there are other song titles floating around that may or may not be real tracks: In Your Hand (Boy/Girl?), Walk Away (early I Will Follow?), So Sad (early Out Of Control?), Hang Up!, and Night Fright.

That's twenty-seven definite songs that exist on tape in either studio or live form, and possibly up to thirty-four! And then in all likelihood there are other songs we don't have records of. Trying to decide what to include can't be easy - personally, I just hope it includes a good amount of unreleased material, especially Lost On A Silent Planet and The Dream Is Over.

Last edited:
I should add one more: there might be an early An Cat Dubh in U2's vault. I believe an Into The Heart-less early version existed as far back as 1978 and was entirely in Gaelic. I think it was played at the now famous Harp Lager Talent Contest. So that takes us up to a possible count of 35! And that's not moving on past Boy through the October era up to War. That has:

Some early vinyl pressings of Boy: brief Fire riff as a hidden track
Gloria single: J. Swallow
Non-album single: A Celebration, Party Girl
New Year's Day single: Treasure
SBS/THBAO single: Endless Deep

Boy Tour unreleased songs: Father Is An Elephant, Carry Me Home, When I Fall Down (early I Fall Down with no keyboard)

My favourite unreleased song that Bono once mentioned in an interview from late 1980: Assaulted By Underpants!

War demos: Like A Song, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Surrender, and shitloads of versions of Two Hearts Beat As One

And surely more stuff hiding in the vaults ...

I preordered these just to get an email everytime something changes, i.e. release date, they get removed the database, etc.

Dorian Gray said:

It just seems to me that U2 has done so much in the last year already--U2 18, the Popmart DVD, the JT remaster, U2 3D, talk of a new album by the end of the year. I'd argue that they're risking oversaturation with everyone except the hardcore fan base. I'm wondering what the rush is to rerelease another album (or three, as the case may be). They're not going to be together forever. Why not spread the rereleases out a bit so they can hold a bit more significance.

I don't have a problem with it. God knows, the sooner the better. Their original mixing sucks on pretty much every album.

phillyfan26 said:
I don't have a problem with it. God knows, the sooner the better. Their original mixing sucks on pretty much every album.

These are remastered albums, not remixed albums.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

These are remastered albums, not remixed albums.

A change in the master general equates to a change in the levels on the songs (see remastered version of Exit).

phillyfan26 said:

Yeah, exactly.

And it's not as if they're promoting the shit out of this. Even with JT, you really had to be into U2 in the first place to know it was happening. So I wouldn't be concerned about over-saturation.

Axver said:

And it's not as if they're promoting the shit out of this. Even with JT, you really had to be into U2 in the first place to know it was happening. So I wouldn't be concerned about over-saturation.

I was thinking the same thing, actually....

AHHH!!!!! 2 days before my 18th birthday! what a great present! personally, i don't care which album is re-released! boy is an amazing album already and i love all of the demos from that era that i've heard so far. like Life on a Distant Planet and Things to Make and Do. And J. Swallow. Boy wouldn't really make as much sense as Under a Blood Red Sky (25 years), Rattle and Hum (20 years), or War (25 years). War is at the top of my favourites list, so not complaning on that end either.

plus, can't anyone post anything for sale on Amazon.com, even if it's not official or licensed?

Back
Top Bottom