BOSTOOOOOOON fits me like a glove!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rooftop to the basement said:
VelvetDress, can I just say a huge THANK YOU?!?!

I've been kinda sad today thinking about the show. It was the absolute best night of my life, for many reasons, and sometimes I get bummed bc I start wondering if I'll ever feel that happy and untouchable again.
Wow.... I canNOT believe you just said that, because I can completely identify! I have never in my entire LIFE the way I felt all 5 days I was in Boston last year, and particularly the way I felt a year ago last night and tonight. I hold it up as a kind of Holy Grail of what I and the world am capable of ..... if I know that I felt that way once, perhaps I can feel that way again!

I should be counting my blessings that I was able to be there and that I know what it's like to feel on top of the world. [/B]
Exactly. Exactly. For instance, a year ago right now they had just finished Elevation ("Pump it up!!" and started - of all things - Pride ("You're in the cameras here when you look into my eyes")and we knew, knew, knew that we were in for a night we could never have anticipated.

Life is good, good, good! Hugs all around to everyone who shared in it, to everyone from all the shows, everyone whom this band has touched so profoundly that a year later we can all sit back and nearly BURST at the thought of what one Saturday night in Boston will mean to us for the rest of our lives.

:laugh: :sad: :heart: - you name it!

VelvetDress said:

Come on, Boston 4-ers, tell us your tales!!

Well, I decided to recover some cash by selling my Boston 4 ticket. Exciting, huh?

I surmised that they wouldn't be showing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals on the FleetCenter screen, so I headed home to watch, and I got to see Ray Bourque finally win a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately so did 19 other bozos from the Colorado Avalanche.

Beautiful stories!! Sula where are you! Who else was there? :D

Here is a gorgeous pic from Otto- there are so many! This one shows to me the fun and playful atmosphere and relationship that night!

Attachments

• bos4.jpg
    bos4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 114
Re: Boston Threee!!!

oliveu2cm said:

Other "highlights": Sweetest Thing was outstanding live. I really loved it- definitely saw the "soft and cuddly" side of U2 during that one.

I don't know if you remember, but Bono really butchered the piano part on Sweetest Thing.

Re: Re: Boston Threee!!!

speedracer said:
I don't know if you remember, but Bono really butchered the piano part on Sweetest Thing.

I remember - and I say that's part of the charm! Is there any instrument the man has played entirely successfully? Nope, God bless him!

:sexywink: :bono:

Re: Re: Re: Boston Threee!!!

VelvetDress said:

I remember - and I say that's part of the charm! Is there any instrument the man has played entirely successfully? Nope, God bless him!

:sexywink: :bono:

I also remember Bono saying rather sheepishly afterward, "That wasn't so bad, was it?"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boston Threee!!!

speedracer said:

I also remember Bono saying rather sheepishly afterward, "That wasn't so bad, was it?"

right!! Oh and the thing I loved about TST was how he walked down the heart to the piano, sort of swaying! it was adorable! I have a pic of him playing the piano he looks a little confused :sexywink: :love:

sweetest_thing.JPG

Re: Re: Re: Boston Threee!!!

VelvetDress said:

He's okay with the harmonica, I think.

oliveu2cm said:
Beautiful stories!! Sula where are you! Who else was there? :D

here I am. Late as always. Story to follow as soon as I can get my brain woken up. :yawn: mondays. :p

I just LOVED when Edge wore the Bourque shirt-and Bono talking about Ray, and teasing Edge about the shirt being too big, etc.

Does anyone have a pic of just Edge in that shirt? I don't think Otto does.

And I don't mean a pic of you-know-who(name starts w/ a D) standing next to Edge while Edge is wearing that shirt. :tongue: :D

WOW. Otto's pix are amazing. I love that pic with Bono and those red lights......it does look really playful and fun but intense and serious, all at the same time. How many frontmen have that kind of stage presence? Damn few. That's one of the major attractions of a U2 show, Bono's stage presence. You've got Edge's guitar magic, which is so....what can I say? I mean, I remember when I first heard about them doing an acoustic version of "Desire". This is one of my fave U2 songs but I couldn't imagine it sounding good as an acoustic piece. Wrong. Edge's guitar work on it is exquisite. Adam and Larry are such a tight rhythm section. The whole thing equals sheer brilliance.

Edge's Bourque shirt was quite cool, suddenly everyone knew who had won the Stanley Cup even before Bono spoke.
For me Boston 4 was an important step forward, having missed Boston 3 because of cancer surgery that morning, I was determined to make Saturday night, proving to myself I was stronger than the disease, and I have been, even managed to stand for the entire show.

Hewson said:
having missed Boston 3 because of cancer surgery that morning, I was determined to make Saturday night, proving to myself I was stronger than the disease, and I have been, even managed to stand for the entire show.

Wow, that's SO amazing. That is the BEST story about Boston 4 I could ever hear, or about any show for that matter.

Thanks so much for sharing that w/ us. Hope everything is going well for you now. God Bless :)

Hewson said:
Edge's Bourque shirt was quite cool, suddenly everyone knew who had won the Stanley Cup even before Bono spoke.
For me Boston 4 was an important step forward, having missed Boston 3 because of cancer surgery that morning, I was determined to make Saturday night, proving to myself I was stronger than the disease, and I have been, even managed to stand for the entire show.

This Is a wonderful thing, just like Gina Marie said! And what a beautiful, amazing, JOYful concert you received that night, as well. I'm even happier now it was Boston4.. i mean, EBTTRT! sha!!

:D

Because I'm a geek ;) :edge:

here's a list of all the songs Boston got! :happy:

Elevation,
Beautiful Day,
New Years Day,
Until the End of the World,
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways / Sexual Healing,
In My Life / Stuck In a Moment,
Kite,
Gone,
New York,
11 O'Clock Tick Tock,
Out Of Control,
I Will Follow,
Party Girl,
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Get Up Stand Up,
Angel Of Harlem,
The Sweetest Thing,
In a Little While,
Desire / Gloria,
People Get Ready (with fan)
Stay,
Bad / 40,
All I Want Is You,
Where the Streets Have No Name,
Pride
Bullet the Blue Sky,
With or Without You,
The Fly,
One,
She's a Mystery To Me,
Walk On / Hallelujah

Wow, these pix are *amazing*. Thanks, guys! I love just going through this thread and looking at all of them! I wasn't at the Boston shows, but God bless Atlanta! :lol:

Ok, so here is my Boston 4 story. Late, but here. :D

First off, to set the stage?I was in the recovery/rebuilding stage of a broken relationship and one of the difficult things had been that my ex and I had had U2 in common. Made it difficult for me to listen to them for some time but once I was over the worst, I got back into the music with a vengeance. No way I?m letting some bastard steal my favorite band from me! I went to the U2 gig in my city (Minneapolis) and it was great, but I was in another dimension. I think since it was the first time I had seen them, it was all just so surreal, that I almost couldn?t believe it was actually THEM! My second show was in Chicago, on Mother?s Day. I had bought GA tickets on a whim, thinking that it ?might be fun to TRY to get into the heart? but assuming that normal people like myself would never be able to. Well, wonder of wonders, we did get in and it was such a mind-blowing experience, I was left depressed that I was missing the rest of the shows as the tour went onward.

Fast forward to June. I had been ICQing with another member of this forum (who shall remain nameless unless he wants to identify himself;)) and we were both drooling over the setlists we saw coming across the wire, wishing we were there, and joking that we ought to catch one more show. Then on Wednesday, I found some GA tix for Boston 4 online from a broker that were about $200. At this point, it seemed a small price to pay for nirvana, so I emailed my new buddy and asked him what he thought. We decided to go for broke, exchanged phone numbers, called each other and made plans. I bought the tickets, he booked a hotel near the arena. This was on Thursday. Friday afternoon I was on a plane to Boston where I met up with my new friend. We took a taxi to the hotel passing the arena where Boston 3 was occurring that very minute. I knew we were gonna get along when we both looked at each in this state of awe and said almost simultaneously??they?re playing right now?maybe we should go try to meet them?? lol. But common sense ruled and we went to the hotel to crash so we could get up super-early and get a good spot in the GA line. (actually we talked about maybe camping out even).

Saturday morning we got to the arena around 5ish in the morning and found ourselves numbers 50 and 51! Woohoo! The whole day in line was like one massive party. I met fans from all over, created my sign on a whim, jammed with other fans on guitars, and generally had a wonderful time. MTV was there near the end, filming people but I didn?t pay much attention to it (being rather camera-shy and not looking all that camera-ready after a day in the sun). Finally, they started letting us into the arena in small groups. Oh the excitement. While standing in the hall waiting to be let up the stairs, I saw someone with an interference tag. I yelled back to her and got her attention, mouthing ?what?s your username?? It was EP and America. :D I dunno if she could decipher what I was saying when I yelled back that I was ?sula?. :huh: But good times, nonetheless.

So into the heart we went, staking out positions close to the front. I found myself directly in front of Edge?s spot, behind only one person who was on the rail. This I could deal with! I kept looking at the amp and the ground in front of it thinking, ?not too long from now EDGE is going to be right there!?omg!?

Then there was the whole MTV crew going up and down the row in front of the heart interviewing people and whatnot. I got asked what my sign meant ?You never lost the job!? and I blabbered something incoherent about it while under the glare of their camera light. They came back to film it again, so I had a small hope that it might end up somewhere in the footage (as indeed it did, I am told).

PJ Harvey rocked. That?s all I have to say about it. She seemed really really into it that night and was interacting with the crowd more than I?d ever seen her do. Some people from her fan club had brought paper fish and passed them around the heart so when she sang ?Big Fish, Little Fish? we all held them up and made them dance. She seemed to get a big kick out of that.

Then finally, it was time. Sergeant Pepper?s began and I thought I might just faint. Lol. The boys sauntered on stage and all hell broke loose. I remember holding up my sign very quickly and putting it down again very quickly because I was really concerned about not annoying the people behind me. (see, some of us are nice about it! ;)) and I caught Edge?s eye. He grinned at me. *die* As they got into Elevation, I managed to catch Bono?s attention for a brief second and get his smile/nod of approval at it too. Woohoo!

As the last bars of Elevation faded away and then Edge went into the opening licks of Pride?my god it was like someone set a match to a keg of powder. The place erupted! We all knew that this night was going to be different, was going to be special, and it certainly was. The setlist was such a surprise. EBTTRT???? 11 O?Clock Tick Tock???? OH yeah, it was special. When they started Out of Control, I thought the heart was going to pogo right outta control. Lol. And my personal favorite shocker moment was Party Girl. Wowowowow. Singing along at the top of my lungs, I remember looking out into the audience in the stands and seeing a lot of them look confused. ?I don?t remember this one on the Greatest Hits album? or something. :p But for those of us who had been waiting for some b-side gems, it was superb. Seems to me that afterward, Bono said something like "Is the bside crowd happy now?? ?Can I play one for me? Just one?? :D

Other hazy memories?I had a tiny sign for Edge which I made from the leftover cardboard of the first sign that said ?Edge, dance?? which I showed him during MW. That got another Edge-grin (I swear he ought to patent those things!) And my most fond memory of the entire evening. It was during WOWY. This was the song that I had heard on the radio randomly only a year before, the song that compelled me to find out more about ?this U2 band? and had basically started this crazy journey. After all that had happened over the past year, relationships, heartbreak, good times, bad times, when they played this song it really took me to pieces. Tears streaming down my face, I looked up and caught eyes with Edge and all I could do was mouth ?Thank you.? He smiled his quiet little smile and just nodded back in acknowledgement. :sad: And I know it sounds crazy, but that moment will forever be branded on my consciousness. It all clicked into place. I was home, with my chosen family, celebrating life. It was indeed a beautiful day.

Oh Sula!!! Thank you for making me cry at work!! loll - I was all pumped and excited and bouncing in my chair and by the end crying!! LOL

This I could deal with! I kept looking at the amp and the ground in front of it thinking, ?not too long from now EDGE is going to be right
there!?omg!?

OHHH how I love these moments of precious anticipation!!

When they started Out of Control, I thought the heart was going to pogo right outta control.

:laugh: :laugh:

seems to me that afterward, Bono said something like "Is the bside crowd happy now?? ?Can I play one for me? Just one??

icon10.gif
Loveee this on the boot! he sounds so CUTEE :bono: :love: and Happy!!

Tears streaming down my face, I looked up and caught eyes with Edge and all I could do was mouth ?Thank you.? He smiled his quiet little smile and just nodded back in acknowledgement. And I know it sounds crazy, but that moment will forever be branded on my consciousness. It all clicked into place. I was home, with my chosen family, celebrating life. It was indeed a beautiful day.
:sad: :love:
crazy noooo!! Noo!! Just the other day I was speaking with a friend and we were saying how we would take these memories to our graves! Not crazy at all!! The way they elevate and enrapture us.. cradle and love.. :sad: it makes me cry with happiness! Amazing to have "only" heard WOWY a year before and then find yourself at such communion with this band! Another wonderful thing about them! And those moments- they give us so much and they *will* last forever!

Thanks Sula for sharing!!!! :love:

(here is another pic from Boston 4! thanks Otto!)

Attachments

• bos4.jpg
    bos4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Gina Marie said:

Wow, that's SO amazing. That is the BEST story about Boston 4 I could ever hear, or about any show for that matter.

Thanks so much for sharing that w/ us. Hope everything is going well for you now. God Bless :)

I so agree with Gina Marie, Hewson. I'm so glad that things are A OK a year later!

I had a heck of an experience in Atlanta, at my first Elevation. They were playing "The Fly" and Bono jumped off of the stage, about two feet away from a friend of mine. I didn't see it because I wasn't really close to the heart, although I was GA. I stepped over to the boards to get a sip of a Coke, and just then I heard a heck of a commotion about two yards away. Damn if it wasn't Bono being chased by the security people! He looked like he was going for the gold in the 100 meter dash in the Olympics! :lol: :lol: He damn near bumped into me! Gosh, I was shocked! For awhile there I was in a daze; I didn't quite know where I was......then I felt great. The greatest rock star on the planet had just almost collided with me! Yeah, right......:lol: :lol:

Okay Sula made me less shy and I'm going to share my Adam story from 6/8. It was the reason I started to adore him! And I never would have imagined it! Anyway I wrote this a few days after the show- you can kind of tell by how excited I still was! :)

Friday, June 8, 2001

"I know that this is not good-bye....."

I was so nervous yesterday. I almost sold my ticket! I was afraid nothing could be better than my Wednesday U2 experience. But of course, I didn't. And Boston 6/8 exceeded my expectations. And most of it was due to Adam Clayton.

I made some signs like "We've been running to stand here" and I was so tired, sitting around talking to my sisters, and I just absentmindedly made a small, 5x10 sign that had Sparky written in blue writing outlined by sparkles. It changed the entire night for me!

There were no GA line problems today- we were #230, coming at noon, so the line did fill up earlier than Wednesday. We got the same exact spot inside the heart, right along the barricade thing slightly left of the tip. Psych! As soon as Adam walked on stage I threw up my sign. He saw it and laughed. I ran up close to him and held it up again.

My sign and Adam's smiles went on throughout the show. I didn't overdo it, but if I got particularly excited I'd throw it up here and there and get my personal smile from him. It was quite unbelievable. At one point, during BD, two guys hoisted me up on their shoulders and I was above the entire crowd! It was unbelievable!!! I smiled and threw my arms up and groaned and yelled and took pictures-- totally mind blowing!!

To continue w/ my Adam story.... During With Or Without You I got this sudden urge to write a message on the back of my sign and then try to give it to Adam. So I wrote a quick message and I signed it - it was a miracle I had a pen with me! lol!

As soon as One came on I made my way to the front of the stage. There were less people packed in the heart that night, since NBC wasn't taping. I got to him easily. I was considering throwing it over the security guard's head, but I knew by his expression he would snatch it up and throw it away. I couldn't risk that happening. I cried during Walk On, knowing it'd be the last song I'd see them sing for a long time.... very emotional. Then it happened.

Adam took off his bass. He looked down where I was.. I held up the sign and he smiled at me in thanks. Then I extended the sign to him, my arm stretched as far out as I could. The rest of the band was waving to the crowd. (I think I remember him shaking Bono's hand, and then) Adam came over to me. There was a huge spotlight behind him, so all I could see was light and him in the center of it.

He reached forward. I leaned forward, shaking. People were slapping my back in excitement. I didn't want to take a picture- that's not why I wanted him to come over. I wanted to savor everything about that moment, and I did. Adam took the sign from me, saw my writings on the back of it, and put it in his right pocket. He smiled at the Larry, then back at me. I was crying "OMG, OMG" and shaking. I couldn't believe it!

He bowed his head slightly to me in thanks, smiling so sweetly. Then he waved a small goodbye to me. I waved back. He turned and walked down the stairs.

I am still shaken. I will remember that concert and him forever, because he allowed me to be such a big part of it with him.

:adam: :love: :)

So, that's what I mean about the smallest thing just staying with you forever. And sometimes that's all it really takes- that wink or smile...... *melts*

omg, olive, that is an AWESOME story!!! You got me all goose-bumpy here. :sad: I'm so glad you decided to share it. *sigh* I love this band.

Olive, egads, what a story! What an amazing experience......it was pretty cool to have Bono almost run into me but I cannot imagine any of the guys putting one of my notes into their pockets......or any of that......I love these stories!:yes: :yes:

Ahhhhhhh! First Sula, your spontanaety just really TOUCHES me, because it's those serendipitous moments that just make a life a LIFE! Good for you, and we should all take a lesson in making life fragrant like that! :heart:

And Olive ....... I could think about this moment forEVER, what it must mean to make this joyful connection with Adam, to know that you really struck a chord with him and gave him a moment of pleasure. And to make him GRIN like that ...... *thunk*

Every single day this past week has been amazing for me, re-living my own memories and hearing about other people's experiences. Almost every person in the arena each night has a STORY to tell about how the show touched their lives and meant something to them. So inspiring! I was listening to MSG1 (1st leg) in the car yesterday, and felt so blessed to be here in the U.S. at the moment, driving a car, listening to U2, feeling them so close in front of me I could almost reach out and touch their faces.

HAPPPYYYYYYYYYYY!

Olive, what an incredible experience! Thank you so much for sharing! Just imagine - Adam has your sign in his fan collection! :D Of course, the best part is being on the receiving end of Adam's smiles :D

Sula and Olive - Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us all. This sounds kinda silly but you two (and Dr. Who) are my favorite Interference "authors". I love U2. Listening to their music, reading about Bono's great deeds, going to shows (I'm praying for some next year:lol: ) and reading your U2 stories and insights really keep it all alive for me.

Back
Top Bottom