Bono's way with melodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think U2's appeal may lie in Bono's ability to come up with beautiful melodies.

Take for isntance, Slide Away with Michael Hutchence.

You listen to Hutch's part and it's not bad but it itsn't anything marvelous. Then Bono come's in with that sweet "Wanted to let her go..." and it just completely changes the song. It's become one of my favorites.

I'm sure you can tell the difference here in what Bono can create and what others, in this case Hutch, can.

Thoughts?

He's amazing with melodies, which is hard to find in bands these days. I think that's why so many don't even know what a true melody is.

And I know some hate it but I love the challenging melody of Stuck in a Moment. I think it show his daringness to avoid your typical pop melodies.

Sometimes his melodies are really off-putting. I hate EBTTRT for this very reason. Yahweh too.
Sometimes it works, like for Discotheque, but most of the time I find it sounding very raw and unbalanced. Maybe it has to do with both being at the same volume, one should be a background vocal. Or maybe it's just the entire pitching in general. :shrug:

Well, let me explain. A harmony is usually referred to as the 2nd vocal, somewhat what Edge usually does, that is usually one 3rd or a 5th higher than the main melody - even though, technically, you can harmonize with any of the notes you want (but it might not sound as good.) The melody is basically what is sung or performed above the chord progression.

I hope I explained that right. :huh:

Yeah BEB you got it!

Bono's melodies are amazing..they really do make a song and just make it fly!

Like I said so many don't even know what a melody is.

Here's the dictionary definition:

A: A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.

B: Structure with respect to the arrangement of single notes in succession.

Bono's way with melodies is part of what makes me sad as his voice ages and breaks down. Sometimes, its just not there for him.

I remember an old quote from Edge I think, back in the UF days, where he said Bono's voice is another instrument.

Can you imagine anyone else attempting Elvis Presley and America? Can you imagine even him trying it, now? That song is all Bono, and is complete perfection.

MumblingBono said:
Bono's way with melodies is part of what makes me sad as his voice ages and breaks down. Sometimes, its just not there for him.

Whereas I agree that Bono's voice has changed. It's natural.

But I wouldn't say "breaks down", just listen to 'Miss Sarajevo' from this tour.

doubleU said:

Whereas I agree that Bono's voice has changed. It's natural.

But I wouldn't say "breaks down", just listen to 'Miss Sarajevo' from this tour.

When I hear MS I get the chills....I wonder how much vocal coaching B has had over the years......

Back
Top Bottom