Bono's Vox on the Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
I'm glad to see all these posts about how Bono's voice was so good toward the end of the Vertigo Tour- when I saw them on the third leg I'd say it was "good to fair" (by Bono's standards)

Does anyone know if he specifically did things to take care of his voice, and

Can anyone post links to performances that were especially good?

Thanks!

Well, it's just that his voice has been healing since he had surgery and began treating his allergies around 1999-2000. They were at their worst point during the Elevation Tour and have slowly improved since then.

dr. zooeuss said:
I'm glad to see all these posts about how Bono's voice was so good toward the end of the Vertigo Tour- when I saw them on the third leg I'd say it was "good to fair" (by Bono's standards)

Does anyone know if he specifically did things to take care of his voice, and

Can anyone post links to performances that were especially good?

Thanks!
w w w.send space .com/file/qwi9ws

Here's a mix I made from the best peeformences from Vertigo tour :)

Bono does sound fantastic in all those clips Peterrrr. Its hard to believe he still capable of some of those things. Can you tell me what shows the first performance of Vertigo and the second performance of Bad are from? They sound great. I'd love to have the full versions. :)

phillyfan26 said:
Well, it's just that his voice has been healing since he had surgery and began treating his allergies around 1999-2000. They were at their worst point during the Elevation Tour and have slowly improved since then.

I actually think he had his worst moments on Popmart. One of my favorite tours overall but Bono's voice was not strong at all.

Elevation it was strong at times, but I agree not as strong as Vertigo.

The only weak vocals Bono had on Vertigo to me was the 4th leg. His vocals were shot.

The reason they were so strong on the 5th leg is because there was a very long break obviously between the 4th and 5th leg. They also didnt have to do as much rehearsal for that leg either and it was a fairly short leg. All combined for strong vocals for Bono.

DevilsShoes said:
Bono does sound fantastic in all those clips Peterrrr. Its hard to believe he still capable of some of those things. Can you tell me what shows the first performance of Vertigo and the second performance of Bad are from? They sound great. I'd love to have the full versions. :)

The first version of Vertigo is from 2005-11-01 - La and the second Bad is from 2005-09-14 - Toronto, I uplodad Bad:

w w w. send space .com/file/q2dqf3

Blue Room said:

I actually think he had his worst moments on Popmart. One of my favorite tours overall but Bono's voice was not strong at all.

Elevation it was strong at times, but I agree not as strong as Vertigo.

I prefer Popmart voice, compare "say its true"... from NYD on Popmart to Elevation, falsetto, screams. Well Popmart wins :)

Try Rotterdam, Leeds, Las Vegas and Edmonton on Popmart :)

Blue Room said:

The only weak vocals Bono had on Vertigo to me was the 4th leg. His vocals were shot.

The reason they were so strong on the 5th leg is because there was a very long break obviously between the 4th and 5th leg. They also didnt have to do as much rehearsal for that leg either and it was a fairly short leg. All combined for strong vocals for Bono.

Yes, the 4th leg was the worst on Vetigo tour. But he still had a a strong voice. He still was better on that leg then any show from Popmart and Elevation. He maange to hit "Free" in Vertigo, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO and "L'amoure" in Miss Sarajevo. I can't call his voice shot if he manage that :)

I don't think it was only the long break, from 98 he has gone better and better for each year. Compare 2nd leg vocals to 43rd leg vocal, well he was better on 3rd leg and there where only less then a month break between those legs. Must be that the throat surgey heals more and more. He might smoke less, drink less, talk less before shows and he learn more and more how to sing better.

I think he had a few nights on the Popmart Tour that were better than anything on Elevation. Elevation's was consistently bad, Popmart sometimes worse but sometimes better, more inconsistent.

Santiago on Popmart :up:

Peterrrrr said:

I prefer Popmart voice, compare "say its true"... from NYD on Popmart to Elevation, falsetto, screams. Well Popmart wins :)

Try Rotterdam, Leeds, Las Vegas and Edmonton on Popmart :)

Yes, the 4th leg was the worst on Vetigo tour. But he still had a a strong voice. He still was better on that leg then any show from Popmart and Elevation. He maange to hit "Free" in Vertigo, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO and "L'amoure" in Miss Sarajevo. I can't call his voice shot if he manage that :)

I don't think it was only the long break, from 98 he has gone better and better for each year. Compare 2nd leg vocals to 43rd leg vocal, well he was better on 3rd leg and there where only less then a month break between those legs. Must be that the throat surgey heals more and more. He might smoke less, drink less, talk less before shows and he learn more and more how to sing better.

Difference of opinion. I think when his voice is raspy (which it was for alot of Popmart and most of the 4th leg of Vertigo) it is shot. Thats what I mean by that. He may hit a few high notes still, but when he is croaking out the lyrics to Vertigo (IE Buenos Aires), its shot IMO. I still say and feel that the main reason his voice was strong on the fifth leg is because of the long break, short rehearsals, and short leg all combined. Anytime Bono overuses his voice it gets worse, not better, regardless of the surgery.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Bono's Vox on the Vertigo Tour

Peterrrrr said:

w w w.send space .com/file/qwi9ws

Here's a mix I made from the best peeformences from Vertigo tour :)

Thanks Peterrr,

Listening now...

Vertigo- snippet of ?? - pretty good

Bad- this sounds good! Reminds me of the live version off W.A.I.America

Beautiful Day- also sounds great!

Don't Give Up (with Alicia Keys?)- sounds good- their harmonizing is pretty good..

Highway to Hell, lol- Never thought I'd hear Bono cover ACDC, n doubt this was in Australia ;-) His screaming seems in line with the ACDC singer, nothing special, very short clip (can you tell I don't care for ACDC much?)

??? Don't know this one, but his voice sounds good...

Duet with?? Don't know the song either ... but Edge's riff sounds like Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love... Bono's barely in this clip...

Mysterious Ways- pretty good-but doesn't seem to go as high on this as he did in earlier versions, and it sounds a bit 'chirpy'

New Yea'rs Day- VERY GOOD!!

Miss Sarajevo- NICE! I was impressed by his performance of this when I saw them on the 3rd leg- Oct 29 2005 (Dallas) He obviously practiced this one ;-)

SYCMIOYO- Sounds good but very short

WGRYWHorses- ditto

Thanks for sharing that- good clips, but little snippets of songs aren't the same as hearing the whole performance- I know he can do good snippets, I was also hoping to hear good songs in their entirity as well...

cheers.

Re: Re: Re: Bono's Vox on the Vertigo Tour

dr. zooeuss said:

Vertigo- snippet of ?? - pretty good
Snipppet of Rock N Roll ******

dr. zooeuss said:

Highway to Hell, lol- Never thought I'd hear Bono cover ACDC, n doubt this was in Australia ;-) His screaming seems in line with the ACDC singer, nothing special, very short clip (can you tell I don't care for ACDC much?)
Nothing special :huh: The falsetto is in key E5, it is probaly the highest falsetto he has done.

dr. zooeuss said:

SYCMIOYO- Sounds good but very short

You mean the clip is short? Because the note is 8 sec compare to the studio version's note wich is 4 sec.

dr. zooeuss said:

WGRYWHorses- ditto

I dont know what ditto means, but Bono never shit the high key on ZooTV, but did twice on Vertigo tour :)

Ditto here means "same as before", so "Sounds good but very short".
I don't think he wanted to say the "Sing" was too short, just that he had loved for a longer snippet.

Blue Room said:

:yes: While not great vocals in Elevation, I still think he was better overall than Bono-on-Helium in 1997.

Popmart Bono would have no chance at singing Kite or doing a wail like AIWIY-Where the streets have no name in Slane.

Vincent Vega said:
Ditto here means "same as before", so "Sounds good but very short".
I don't think he wanted to say the "Sing" was too short, just that he had loved for a longer snippet.

Yes, that's what I meant- thanks.

I wasn't really looking for a few isolated notes from many songs, but whole performances, of at least one whole song from beginning to end. Thank you though Peterrr, I enjoyed the compilation.

dr. zooeuss said:

Yes, that's what I meant- thanks.

I wasn't really looking for a few isolated notes from many songs, but whole performances, of at least one whole song from beginning to end. Thank you though Peterrr, I enjoyed the compilation.

Im glad that you enjoy it :)

Peterrrrr said:

joe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom