Bono's voice was the first thing that attracted me to U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
For me the first think I noticed about U2 was Bono's voice. I remeber hearing songs like with or without you and still havent found on the radio and thinking no other rock singer sings like this. His voice is extremely unique and he sings with more power and more force than any other rock singer I have heard. Also he does not have the typical rock n roll voice his voice is more like somthing you would hear on broadway. His voice stuck out before the edges sound and before anything else in their music. Therefore perhaps in a way Bono is truely the greatest musician in U2 in reguards to his voice as an instrument.

If you regard voice as an instrument, I agree that you could make a case for Bono being the best musician in U2. It's an insanely versatile instrument he's working with -- he can do opera, crooner-style stuff (like with Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Two Shots of Happy, etc.), pop, and he can do a pretty damn good "rock" scream (not so much anymore, but the man's in his mid-40s, so I'll cut him some slack.) Most rock singers couldn't pull off what he does.

I never quite realized what a big range he has until an acquaintance who often plays open mic nights told me that whenever anyone requested U2 songs, he said he didn't know any -- because he couldn't sing them!

Bono's voice :drool:
U2's albums from Boy up to Unforgetable Fire ,Bono's singing style was very unconventional !!! This may have been do to his naivety I really don't know, and from JT on full , rich and beautiful .

That's right. Bono's voice has improved so much in recent years, especially since 2004. The last set of Vertigo shows was just amazing. I just hope he'll be able to keep it this way.

Bono's voice for the UF and JT were what got me into U2, that and Edge's jangling guitar work on Bad(live).

Allanah said:
If you regard voice as an instrument, I agree that you could make a case for Bono being the best musician in U2. It's an insanely versatile instrument he's working with -- he can do opera,

Am real sorry, but strongly disagree wi this part of the post. One of the most cringeworthy Bono moments ever (IN MY OPINION) is Bono trying to do Pavarotti's vocal from Miss Sarajevo.

gman said:

Am real sorry, but strongly disagree wi this part of the post. One of the most cringeworthy Bono moments ever (IN MY OPINION) is Bono trying to do Pavarotti's vocal from Miss Sarajevo.
I disagree. He does it very well and it's a brave move.
It's not Pavarotti, all right, but it's a very touching moment, as is the whole performance of Miss Sarajevo on the Vertigo Tour.

One Tree Hill was one of the first U2 songs I heard and Bono wtfpwned me with it.
I had no chance for freedom after that :angry:

last unicorn said:

I disagree. He does it very well and it's a brave move.
It's not Pavarotti, all right, but it's a very touching moment, as is the whole performance of Miss Sarajevo on the Vertigo Tour.

I second that. He obviously doesn't have Pavarotti's pipes, so he saves his energy for the big notes at the end, but those are amazing. I took my cousin (not a big U2 fan) to the Honolulu show, and afterwards he kept going off on how amazed he was at Bono's voice during Miss Sarajevo, despite the fact that he didn't like the song at all!

Bono's voice.... :drool: The sweet drug that lead me to my obsession. :heart: I was doomed from the minute I'd heard him sing, "All is quiet on New Year's Day..." :faint:

I wish I could describe to people (especially those who feel he's not a 'good' or 'strong' singer) exactly what it is that I like about his voice. Of course, that would entail me knowing exactly what it is that I like about his voice. :confused: :D

Doesn't matter - whatever it is, he's got it & I'd listen to the man sing the US Tax Code! :combust:

Last edited:
BluRmGrl said:
Bono's voice.... :drool: The sweet drug that lead me to my obsession. :heart: I was doomed from the minute I'd heard him sing, "All is quiet on New Year's Day..." :faint:

I wish I could describe to people (especially those who feel he's not a 'good' or 'strong' singer) exactly what it is that I like about his voice. Of course, that would entail me knowing exactly what it is that I like about his voice. :confused: :D

Doesn't matter - whatever it is, he's got it & I'd listen to the man sing the US Tax Code! :combust:

Ditto too. :D

Especially, his NYD voice.

Bono's voice has always been like home for me, in a musical sense. Just like my real home, I don't always want it, sometimes I think it's stupid, but it's always there like an equilibrium and in general it keeps me at peace. I like Bono's voice because there's nothing super flashy about it. His vocal talent is honestly pretty mediocre compared to trained vocalists, but still I've yet to find anyone else that even sounds like him.

Bono's voice is about PASSION and soul. We don't see it as much as in the past but we still FEEL it when he sings. We know he is honest and real and when he remembers the words then the planets align and all is right with the world! :) :wink: Bono please don't ever leave that place where you live, it's beautiful!

Liesje said:
Bono's voice has always been like home for me, in a musical sense. Just like my real home, I don't always want it, sometimes I think it's stupid, but it's always there like an equilibrium and in general it keeps me at peace. I like Bono's voice because there's nothing super flashy about it. His vocal talent is honestly pretty mediocre compared to trained vocalists, but still I've yet to find anyone else that even sounds like him.

:huh: His vocal talent is very good. There arent many singers that can sing in so many styles like he do. I'm tired of of the thoughts around that a good singer must be trained, well I think that most of the trained singers are mediocre, why? Because they only gets in one way when they sings, you know how they are going to sing, they sing safe. For an example Bono always suprise you with new things in the songs. Celine Dion, Josh Groban... well they can sing, but where's the passion and feeling in their singing? None.

I don't say this only because I'm a U2 fan, but there is no other singer in the world that I heard that can sing with such a passion and feeling. For an example SYCMIOYO(from the sing part and to the end) from Milan dvd, have you ever seen a singer push som much passion.

When you think that Bono can't get higher with his voice he always push himself one step higher.

And a mediocre singer dosentin in his middle 40s:

Hit C's in Wide Awake

Hit notes like sing, free(native son), l'amoure...

Peterrrrr said:

:huh: His vocal talent is very good. There arent many singers that can sing in so many styles like he do. I'm tired of of the thoughts around that a good singer must be trained, well I think that most of the trained singers are mediocre, why? Because they only gets in one way when they sings, you know how they are going to sing, they sing safe.

:huh: OK.... I've met plenty of "safe" singers, but none of those were people who've been singing with vocal coaches since they were three years old. Josh Groban has no passion in his voice?!?! Maybe we're listening to a differen Josh Groban. I don't particularly LIKE him all that much, but it seems in all your posts on vocals, how much you like someone significantly biases how good you think they are in terms of proper technique. I'm not talking about raw talent and passion, I'm talking about vocal technique. Bono used to sing terribly and has gotten steadily better, that's a fact. I love older U2 as much as I love contemporary U2, but how much I like the song won't change the facts about what is and is not proper singing technique. And I never mentioned one word about whether or not Bono can hit high notes. My grandpa could hit high notes on his death bed, but that doesn't make him a professionally trained vocalist. Passion and technique are not synonymous in any field of work or play.

Ahh ...Bono's Voice .... It touches the soul .... gets inside you and never leaves .. and the more you hear him sing the deeper it gets ... it's not perfect ... yet it is perfection .. Everything that he has he gives when he sings .. His voice is a work of art... He's Michelangelo.. Van Gogh.. Matisse... The older he gets ... the better he gets.

I always remember the day my obsession began :love:

I was walking down the stairs and Top Of The Pops was on and i heard this angelic voice singing " One man come in the name of love, One man come and go, i was like :combust: and as i walked into the lounge were the TV was , there was Bono , my heart stopped :faint: It was the first time as a 14 year old i noticed boys :drool:

My husband knows that Bono was and still is my first love :lol:

^Awww that's a cute story and I agree. It really wasn't Bono's voice that attracted me to U2 in the beginning though. I just liked the sense that these guys were fresh and new and from IRELAND. I loved their accents and energy seeing Bono bounce around when he performed. They seemed rebellious and outspoken. Then the songs like SBS came forth and I liked how they were seemingly putting the word out, educating the world in a way, in song. Bono's voice has matured and improved through the years and it's always in my heart and in my head now. U2 is like Lies says, like home to me, listening to them brings me peace and centers me and their live shows are like no church service could ever touch me. Unbelievable, unspeakable but knowing I share this with so many other millions of fans who understand and feel the same thing. U2 are incredible for what they give their fan base and the world. Not just their music, but their messages. And Bono in my opinion is one of the best humanitarians that ever graced the earth. He is Godliness.

I also know the first time I fell in love with U2. It didn't start with Bono at first.
It was stuck in a moment you can't get out of it. I still can remember the day I bought the single (and still have the bill! :)). I came from school by train and my dad had to drive me imidiatelly to the next record store. And there it was.... my first U2 cd! :D
Then I thought if I am going to write a good mark (sorry, don't know if it's the right word - you know - you can get from A - F at school in the US or 1-6 in Europe) I am gonna buy myself the album.... Well I bought it even before I wrote the test! :D
For me it started with U2 first but Bonos voice was, is and will be a voice that gives me goosebumps. There are maybe 2 or 3 other voices that can do that (Mercury, Bowie).
And it's still the fact when I am listening to CDs or watching DVDs. Sometimes I just sit there and I am stunned.
He's an amacing singer!

Nothing more to say.

Amen! :)

I fell in love with U2 for Edge's guitarwork... but then I listened to older songs, and I was really wtfing at that those two voices (HTDAAB compared to Boy) were the same guy! that completely sparked my interest... and yea, I"m here now :D

last unicorn said:
I am totally in love with Bono's voice. Even if - maybe because - it is not "perfect".
And that's it, i don't want a perfect voice. (if there is one).

I want something rough, a little jumpy at times. I just want it to touch my soul. And Bono's voice does that, no other singer has done that with me so far.

I mean i just love the Popmart Sarajevo show and he didnt have a great voice there, but it's just the sheer passion that makes it so special.

gman said:

Am really sorry, but strongly disagree with your post. One of the most beautiful moments of the last tour and any tour ever (IN MY OPINION) is Bono's operatic burst during "Miss Sarajevo".

He was not "try to do Pavarotti" - he did his own operatic vocal, a type that he's done many times before. It's a full on open throat voice too, which is pure, not fake. It's a shame you do not appreciate this. I guess there's always Thom Yorkeor Chris Martin for you to enjoy.

As for the original post, I fully agree. I liked Bono's voice on "War", but there were some cringe-worthy moments on that album (see NYD). But Bono's vocals on UF is what turned me from "interested" to a fanatic. Even now, when age and smoking have diminished his vocals a bit, he's still oceans better than the vast majority of male singers in the top 100 (hear, for example, the horrid singing of Justin Timberlake). Even someone like Chris Daughtry, who is very good, doesn't have Bono's "passion" - that extra something that transforms the song to another level. It's this intangible asset that Bono brings - and I feel it is one huge reason why U2's songs are so memorable.

last unicorn said:
That's right. Bono's voice has improved so much in recent years, especially since 2004. The last set of Vertigo shows was just amazing. I just hope he'll be able to keep it this way.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom