Bono's Voice on Joshua Tree tour... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:53 AM
I haven't really listened to enough Joshua Tree live performances to make a judgement on this. I won't flog a dead horse but I think most of Bono's finest performances (that I've heard) were during ZooTV / Zooropa.

One thing I would say - one of Bono's best ever vocal performances was Springhill Mining Disaster in March 1987.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 AM
IMHO Bono sounded worse during the 1982 Pre-War tour. He really sounds annoying on the bootlegs from that tour. Annything after that is an improvement.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #18
Refugee

I want to make one thing clear though - I don't hate Bono's voice on JT. It's just that sometimes he would do that vocal technique, and I kind of wish he would just use his real voice instead of a put-on one. I know for certain that I'm not the only one who's noticed this. I first took note of it the first time I saw RH back in the day..one example is my wife, who was introduced to U2 via RH. She claimed she hated U2, and hated Bono's voice. Over the years I gradually converted her, to the point that at the show we saw on the Vertigo tour she said, "he has such a great voice..wow!" during SYCMIOYO. But to this day she swears that his vocal technique during JT turned her off of U2 for a really long time, even though she loves his voice when he uses it properly.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Muad'zin
IMHO Bono sounded worse during the 1982 Pre-War tour. He really sounds annoying on the bootlegs from that tour. Annything after that is an improvement.
Yeah, that was worse. I saw a boot of them playing on a TV show, and his voice breaks like a pimply teenager when he goes for the "it's true, it's true" part on New Years Day. It was really bad. I can't believe how much he improved by the time of Red Rocks. He sounded like a GOD at that show.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I think one of the major contributors as to how Bono's voice sounds in concert is the recording you are listening too. I think it is important to compare apples and apples. R&H and other official releases are probably jazzed up in the studio afterwards so they have to taken with a grain of salt. Audience bootlegs are probably a better measure but then they vary wildly in quality such that comparisons across them are difficult.

All this aside, I have a feeling that on every tour post JT they started putting a lot reverb/echo treatments into Bono's live vocals and that is why his JT voice sounds harsh at times. In JT concerts you are hearing his real voice whereas on later tours you are hearing his voice + various mixing desk treatments.

Someone mentioned the Syracuse JT DVD. That's a perfect example of a god-awful "sterile" soundboard recording. That show was only weeks before the JT footage you see on R&H. There is no way his voice differed that much and rather the difference is just that R&H was dressed up in the studio afterwards.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Is it the growly thing he does when he starts every verse on ISHFWILF on the Syracuse DVD? (IIIIII have kissed) Or the really deep, kind of strange thing that you can hear on some verses of WOWY from Rattle and Hum? The first one doesn't bother me, but I LOVE the second one. I wish he could still do that, it's sexy as hell.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:24 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by amerrydeath
Is it the growly thing he does when he starts every verse on ISHFWILF on the Syracuse DVD? (IIIIII have kissed)
Yes, that's it!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin

Yes, that's it!
Yeah, I could see how that could be annoying.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Too me that sort of vocal from Bono sounds like he's getting lazy. It always bothered me on Rattle and Hum when they played Streets and Bono sings "Where the schtreets've no name", but I'm really just nitpicking here, but it just sounds lazy to me.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:53 PM
the really speical thing about the Acthung Baby outtakes is the mix of the new music with Bono's JT/Lovetown voice . . .
Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Is there anybody out there who can articulate the annoying thing Bono did with his voice on the JT tour. Not to be rude, but it has kind of a constipated quality to it. There have been a few other people that have commented on it too while I was watching JT footage with them, and it has always bothered me too. What is it?
Ha! By coincidence I actually mentioned this in my response to you in JT & AB; but I just found this thread. Myself and four buddies (none of them interferencers) are all rabid U2 fans and amongst ourselves call this Bono's Kermit The Frog voice.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Ha! By coincidence I actually mentioned this in my response to you in JT & AB; but I just found this thread. Myself and four buddies (none of them interferencers) are all rabid U2 fans and amongst ourselves call this Bono's Kermit The Frog voice.
Ha! Why didn't I think of that before? He does sound like Kermit!!! LOL!!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #28
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:53 PM

Quote:

Ha! Why didn't I think of that before? He does sound like Kermit!!! LOL!!!!
It is called singing in your throat. Bono was reaching notes that he couldn't fully place. He was definently back in his throat. That is a wrong way to sing and it messes up the vocal cords and can cause damage. When i haven't trained properly, in a long time, i tend to go way back in my throat. it is when the vowels have not been placed right in the mouth or you can say head. that the resonance , which brings out the voice to full. is not there. If you have not had training done it is difficult to explain. But I hope that some of you understand. I actually love his Jt voice and his voice now, is amazing. He is hitting notes I thought he would never be able to again. His voice is less edgy and raw now, it seems more refined.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:50 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mysticchild
and his voice now, is amazing. He is hitting notes I thought he would never be able to again.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I like his voice best now actually.

Although Ultraviolet from Dublin 93 is pretty much up there as well.

I hate his country-voice.