Bono's voice has got worned out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
Bono's voice has got worn out

After tonights performence in New Orleans I must said that Bonos voice(special if you listen to BD) has got weaker and worn out now, must be after the hard singing on the last tour. He sound like he did on the ATYCLB promo tour :(

This isnt good, because in one month the 4th leg is going to start, and I don't think he can't repair that fast. Maybe he never won't sing like he did on Vertigo tour again?

Last edited:
Eh, he was probably partying it up last night. :)

He also sounded nervous, so that might have had something to do with it. Besides, everything sounded a little "off" tonight -- as usually happens with members of different bands playing together.

People have been saying "Bono's voice is shot" for about 10 years now on these message boards, and while he's definitely aged, I've learned not to count Bono out. He'll have good nights, so-so nights, and then an amazing night that will make you think it's '92 all over again.

LyricalDrug said:
Eh, he was probably partying it up last night. :)

He also sounded nervous, so that might have had something to do with it. Besides, everything sounded a little "off" tonight -- as usually happens with members of different bands playing together.

People have been saying "Bono's voice is shot" for about 10 years now on these message boards, and while he's definitely aged, I've learned not to count Bono out. He'll have good nights, so-so nights, and then an amazing night that will make you think it's '92 all over again.

Bono has only sound weak on some shows at the latest tour, but in the 4th leg you could hear that he was a bit worn out, but he still had a strong voice, he didnt have that tonight, he hasnt sound so worn out and shaky since 2000. For an example, on the Chicago DVD he had a cold and still had a realy strong voice.

I really don't think it was that bad. He hit the high notes pretty well, and had a lot of power during "touch"

All in all, I thought it was a good performance. I don't think this is a sign of his voice being worn out; the opposite, in fact. If you think back, this is similar to how he sounded during the first few Vertigo shows. Hopefully it won't take him too long to get back in the groove.

I should also note that his voice rarely sounds perfect during performances like these. I'd imagine that's due to a combo of partying, not as much protection of his voice, and less warmup. Plus, his voice usually doesn't sound its best until a few songs into a show.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry. Compare this performance to the Superbowl performance, and I think you'll be surprised. Now _that_ was worn out.

it's probably because he's been recording with the band, which is a good thing!

gorman said:
I really don't think it was that bad. He hit the high notes pretty well, and had a lot of power during "touch"

All in all, I thought it was a good performance. I don't think this is a sign of his voice being worn out; the opposite, in fact. If you think back, this is similar to how he sounded during the first few Vertigo shows. Hopefully it won't take him too long to get back in the groove.

I can't even compare how he sound tonight with the first shows on Vetigo tour(he had a much stronger voice then also), I didnt think he the the notes high in the "tocuh" line, listen to the how clean and high he hit the line on the Vetigo tour, thats high.

Last edited:
He rarely sounds great on one-night shows and this is no indication for the tour.

Yes, raspy but nothing near something like the Superbowl show or the Grammy BD.

KUEFC09U2 said:
and let the bitching begin :(

I know... Unbelievable, right? :huh:

Who cares if Bono sounded raspy? Or if he's still a little OMFG!TUBBY, or if Edge totally screwed up on a note or something? The people complaining are missing the spirit of the entire night, and the significance of the game/event itself as a comeback of sorts for the city of New Orleans.

To me, this is just as silly as when people complain about Bono's voice during Popmart Sarajevo, or more specifically, the 2001 superbowl halftime gig. Yeah, his singing wasn't top-notch but why do you think it's still considered such a poignant and memorable show? No one was concentrating on Bono's voice, instead they were moved by the performance and the 9/11 tribute with the scrolling names... I think the New Orleans event is similar in this regard.

Re: Bono's voice has got worn out

Peterrrrr said:

This isnt good, because in one month the 4th leg is going to start, and I don't think he can't repair that fast. Maybe he never won't sing like he did on Vertigo tour again?

Your voice threads crack me up. You have no idea what caused the quality of his voice last night. Allergies, late night, nerves, etc... So to say he can't repair that fast or may never sing like that again is ridiculous.

I wish i could have seen it, anything on youtube or u2.com yet?

Can't download it from that realplayer site because it's only for US...

Bono's voice is fat.

And didn't you all see how short his hair is gettting? He must be going bald!

Peterrrrr said:

Bono has only sound weak on some shows at the latest tour, but in the 4th leg you could hear that he was a bit worn out, but he still had a strong voice, he didnt have that tonight, he hasnt sound so worn out and shaky since 2000. For an example, on the Chicago DVD he had a cold and still had a realy strong voice.

Maybe you have super ears or super speakers, because Bono's voice sounded fine to me. No raspiness or airiness to it. He even screamed!

Plus, given the type of songs they sang, uh, what type of voice were you expecting here? Some operatic over-the-top vocal? This was a pseudo-punk performance - the voice suited the music.

There are times when Bono's voice is gone - this wasn't one of them, IMO.

Funny, though, I felt Bono's voice was weak on the Slane concert, yet so many others thought it was fantastic. So I guess everyone looks at vocals differently. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom