Bono's voice from 1989-1992 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I know he smokes, but doesn't smoking just make your voice raspy and not really deteriorate it that much?
Most smokers I know have a gravelly, unusually deep, rather quacky voice (think Marge Simpson's sisters). They didn't start out that way, that's what smoking did.

And if the cigs give you larynx cancer, you won't have any voice at all.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 03:16 PM
im a passionate smoker too,and I can tell ya for sure that my voice changed.ok,I'm not bono,but still I'm aware of the fact that cigarettes screw your throat,but I'm lighting one right now and I can't help it.so perhaps he was,but didn't actually moved a muscle to stop it-though he still has perfect voice,for an example,take Lemon(ok,10 years ago,but still

Old 01-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
So my question is, what the hell happened from 1989 to 1992? The guys were spending most of those years in the studio and were not on tour. Why did his voice change so much in that period of time? Was it smoking? When did he start smoking? Too much partying? Too much drinking? What was it? Your thoughts.
Well, since Joshua Tree was U2's big album that's where they earned to much money. Of course you only realize the profits after the tour, which is around `88. Then you spend all the money to buy more alcohol and cigarettes than you ever had before (because now you can afford it), then one year later (1989) the effects start coming in and the voice gets raspy. Everyone in their own little way always lets money get the better of them, U2 are no exception - they are just human. That's why the fans love them, because they are human (see their mistakes in their gigs). Humans, when given the money and resources, always have a soft spot for the little indulgences in life.

Cheers,

J
Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Re: Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by jick

Well, since Joshua Tree was U2's big album that's where they earned to much money. Of course you only realize the profits after the tour, which is around `88. Then you spend all the money to buy more alcohol and cigarettes than you ever had before (because now you can afford it), then one year later (1989) the effects start coming in and the voice gets raspy. Everyone in their own little way always lets money get the better of them, U2 are no exception - they are just human. That's why the fans love them, because they are human (see their mistakes in their gigs). Humans, when given the money and resources, always have a soft spot for the little indulgences in life.

Cheers,

J
So Bono's vocal problems are because the JT album/tour was successful allowing him ample cash to spend on booze and cigarettes? In-fucking-sane
Old 01-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

So Bono's vocal problems are because the JT album/tour was successful allowing him ample cash to spend on booze and cigarettes? In-fucking-sane
yeah, I'll assume jick's last post was his ass talking....a correlation b/w money and smoking? WTF??? ok, my dad has smoked since he was 14 (he's now 47) and money NEVER had anything to do with it. We can hardly pay the house payments/car payments/etc. and STILL he smokes a pack a day.

The truth is that back in the early 80s, they didn't have the medical knowledge we do today, so it was normal and not really considered a serious health risk to smoke. My parents and all of their friends did, not to be rebellious or because they had extra cash, it was just a casual thing, like buying a can of pop every now and then. Since then most of them have quit, b/c now we know it causes heart attacks, lung cancer, mouth cancer, etc, etc, but they didn't know that when they were kids.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #21
Refugee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
The truth is that back in the early 80s, they didn't have the medical knowledge we do today, so it was normal and not really considered a serious health risk to smoke.
The U.S. Surgeon General released his report about smoking causing cancer and other diseases back in 1964. I learned about the hazards of smoking when I was in grade school, back in the early 70s. I know the band members are Irish, not American, but I'm sure they learned about the report there, too.

Though you do have a good point, that it was considered "normal" to smoke. Smoking seems to be an intrinsic part of European culture, and undoubtedly there's strong peer pressure.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, Jick is absolutely right. Bono's vocal problems are the direct result of drinking and smoking and NOT the direct result of SINGING REALLY POWERFUL ALMOST EVERYNIGHT during the Lovetown tour.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:49 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 PM
In the 80's he had that great, powerful, voice.

In the early 90's he lost some of it, but made it up by perfecting that beautiful falsetto.

Since Popmart we haven't heard either...
Old 01-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

The U.S. Surgeon General released his report about smoking causing cancer and other diseases back in 1964. I learned about the hazards of smoking when I was in grade school, back in the early 70s. I know the band members are Irish, not American, but I'm sure they learned about the report there, too.

Though you do have a good point, that it was considered "normal" to smoke. Smoking seems to be an intrinsic part of European culture, and undoubtedly there's strong peer pressure.

I was just saying what my dad told me. I wasn't born until '84 and have never smoked, so I wouldn't know. He insists they weren't aware of how life threatening it can be and making the choice to smoke was a lot easier then. My point was that the decision to smoke really has nothing to do with money.

I think the degredation of Bono's voice can be attributed to the smoking/drinking and singing, although I'm not sure which is worse. I'm not a singer myself, but my boyfriend is and he winces in pain at the sound of Bono's voice (mostly during JT and Rattle & Hum songs). I'm inclined to believe him since he's had years of vocal lessons and singing in choirs.

He wonders if Bono ever had nodes removed?
Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's voice from 1989-1992

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I think the degredation of Bono's voice can be attributed to the smoking/drinking and singing, although I'm not sure which is worse. I'm not a singer myself, but my boyfriend is and he winces in pain at the sound of Bono's voice (mostly during JT and Rattle & Hum songs). I'm inclined to believe him since he's had years of vocal lessons and singing in choirs.

He wonders if Bono ever had nodes removed?
Have your boyfriend listen to Amsterdam 89. I'am no singer or expert on it and I wince in pain just listening to it. Especially God Part II. I need to go get a glass of water just thinking about how it sounded! LOL

Bono has not had surgery on his vocal chords (at least not officially) that I have heard of. Although, supposedly, he has been told on two occassions that it would be necessary if he didnt stop and/or he might lose his voice. This was at the beginning of the 2nd leg of JT (Europe) and on the Lovetown tour after the Amsterdam show.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:16 AM
wincing with disgust or wonder???
Old 01-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
wince in pain, because Bono is obviously in pain. He is literally screaming the high part of God Part II out of frustration. Its like a scream/crack at the same time.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
wincing b/c it sounds so painful and I guess wonder at how Bono was able to sing so technically wrong for so long. He says post-UF is when Bono started to really change his singing technique for the worse, and though many people say Pop-era sounds the worse, Pop/ATYCLB was when Bono started to sing in a more healthy way. Of course, the more recent stuff sounds worse, b/c obviously his voice has become more damaged over time, but the mid-80s is when he was seriously damaging his voice.

I thought Bono had surgery during PopMart?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
Yes, Jick is absolutely right. Bono's vocal problems are the direct result of drinking and smoking and NOT the direct result of SINGING REALLY POWERFUL ALMOST EVERYNIGHT during the Lovetown tour.
Bono's voice was shot during the Lovetown tour. It was much better during the Zoo TV Tour and subsequent tours. I dont think he was singing powerful. Some songs were even dropped one full key to accomodate Bono's vocal struggles during that tour.

Cheers,

J
Old 01-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 02:16 AM
I think Bono's voice was GRRREEAT during Popmart. It didn't have the same soaring quality that it had during, say, Lovetown, but it was more...soulful? Which compensated for this. But I think his voice has deteriorated a little since then. But I still love his voice, because it's so distinctive and Bono-y.