Bonos Voice Eras - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

No, he turns the falsetto into a scream, crazy.
Insanity indeed. man what a note that is

Zootv ara no question by the way...he never sounded better and had so much control it's unbeleivable

Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 02:32 PM
I'm not an audio techo type person, but surely we need to consider the vocal treatments that have been used over time in U2's history. To me, the JT shows seem to feature Bono's voice in the raw with little or no effects (reverb etc...) and then from Lovetown and beyond we are hearing effects + his voice. That is why people tend not to like his JT voice but I reckon this more than anything is at least his natural voice. In the years since you have to try to exclude the effects in an effort to try to hear his voice. I do agree that his Lovetown voice probably is his best but there is more to this than just vocal ability. Lovetown is the first tour where a lot of effects were used.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:37 AM   #48
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:32 AM
The question is how long Bono will have his strong voice he has now(the difference sound between Elevation and Vertigo voice), his voice is weaker now in the 4th leg because of the long touring.

So heres the alternatives:

After the tour

he will be weaker in his voice just like after JT,LT,ZooTV

Or

He continunie to devolop his voice just like he did after Elevation

Or
his voice only revover to stay were his voice were just before they started the tour in 2005.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #49
New Yorker

Bono's best voice was clearly in the 80's, with it's peak in 87-89. I was listening to Dublin 31.12.1989, it is absolutely unbelievable compared to what he is doing now. But hey, the man is 15 years older..... and I don't know many 45 yo singer that have this power and voice quality..... actually, I know only 1, Bono himself!

It's true that sometimes I'm a little nostalgic thinking about the time he could knock out every single note, whatever it was., high, low, falsetto.... screaming, shouting with this clear voice.... wow!

I was however very surprised about his voice in the HTDAAB, which I find very very good.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #50
New Yorker

I think he had his highlights in ZooTV(1992). Just listen to these

1992-06-11 - Stockholm
1992-06-15 - Rotterdam
1992-08-29 and 30 - New York

His high notes is incredible, his flasette is so deep. He had so much more control of his voice on this tour compared to the tour before.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #51
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:32 AM
I finally managed to download the Rotterdam concert... truly amazing!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #52
New Yorker

I wounder how Bonos voice will sound in 15-20 years?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
My favourite is Lovetown: perfect combination of the 80's power but a touch of Zoo TV's darker, lower "colour" of his voice.

I also enjoy his current (Kite, ES, Bomb/Vertigo tour) voice: he got the range but only this time he can sing it with control.
On second thought I'd rate it like this:

- Zoo TV (while he lost his "Bono" colour of his voice he had in the 80s he kept virtually all of his range, added falsetto, and the awkward sound in bellowing notes turned into a cool roar)

- Lovetown (while he still screams at times, I love the "colour" of his voice here. Perfect mix of 80's and yet-to-come 90's voice.)

- current (I never would have thought he'd be anywhere near Miss Sarajevo, "sing". "feel" and the like notes again. But he did it, while the falsetto is not what it used to be - but Edge can help out with this - and he does get raspy a lot and he does sound more thin in the bellowing notes. And he doesn't scream it anymore.)
Old 04-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:32 AM
1987-1993........................That period Bono had the best voice, and I'm sorry that he can't hit that voice anymore, although he made a lot of improvements in reference to Elevation Tour. It's ok he had some serious problems, but it's also true that he couldn't gave up his vices
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 03:32 AM
His voice was probably strongest during the Unforgettable Fire era. Maturing yet youthful and healthy with full range.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #56
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

On second thought I'd rate it like this:

- Zoo TV (while he lost his "Bono" colour of his voice he had in the 80s he kept virtually all of his range, added falsetto, and the awkward sound in bellowing notes turned into a cool roar)

- Lovetown (while he still screams at times, I love the "colour" of his voice here. Perfect mix of 80's and yet-to-come 90's voice.)

- current (I never would have thought he'd be anywhere near Miss Sarajevo, "sing". "feel" and the like notes again. But he did it, while the falsetto is not what it used to be - but Edge can help out with this - and he does get raspy a lot and he does sound more thin in the bellowing notes. And he doesn't scream it anymore.)
I realy don't like the Lovetowns voice, he has a "hoarse whisper sound" in the backgorund of his voice wich is very anoying.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 AM   #57
Babyface

Location: Point fartherest from the bright center of the galaxy
Local Time: 10:32 PM
But what a singer no matter the era

What a voice over the eras. Do any of his contemparies even compare except maybe Robert Smith who sounds great still.

There is something to be said for all of Bono's eras.

Early 80's walking out onto tables and drinking peoples wine, there was nothing like him on the radio, Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, Police, Billy Joel.. All great but Bono was something never heard before.

Late 80's When we were suffering through Hair Bands, Bono was roaring and a complete 180 to the rest of the industry.

Early 90's When everyone was going Seattle, he comes back with sex appeal complete 180 on the industry.

Pop era love the qoute, "What do you think about all the boybands and how do you think U2 will fare"? To which he replies "We have dealt with all types of boybands and what is hot in our career, just tell the boys the men are back".

Elevation and Vertigo I agree there is a "soul" to his voice, a wisdom and kindness now, granted the scream at the begining of NYD is a bit thin compared to War-LT but I would rather listen to Bono on a bad night than anyone else, besides who can resist when the "Sing for me" call goes out?