Bonos Voice Eras - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sken
I actually think his voice was best around Live Aid. He was hitting all notes, and hitting them hard without fail. This is the time he had his most powerful voice. Listening to some of the UF boots he really was letting it all out.

Joshua Tree vocals were sensational, although I still prefer Lovetown when he wasnt having problems. Bono screaming etc was awesome, but I agree WOWY was best played on the JT tour.

In lovetown he got very much problem with the "got a cold" voice problem. What I mean with "got a cold" is a problem he started to get on the JT tour, that was the problem that took over his voice in 1989-12-18 - Amsterdam. It sounds like he got a very hard cold. Another example for that problem is the opening line on BTBS on R&H: In the howlin' wind.

Like I said; high notes he hit at the JT he had to scream out on the LT town and when he sreamed to much it went very hoarse.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Point Depot Show - New Year's Eve
Bono's voice has never sounded this good since
Absolutely spot on

Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Y2K
Refugee

I'd have to say the Achtung Baby era. Bono's chirpy voice from 86-89 kinda makes him a tad more difficult to listen to.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Rafiennes
Point Depot Show - New Year's Eve
Bono's voice has never sounded this good since
Absolutely spot on
On that show he dosent sing WTSHNN good like he did at the JT, it sounds that I can't handel some words full out. He did it on the JT tour.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
I personally love his voice on AB era. The falsetto thing always amazed me...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #21
War Child

I'm torn between ZooTV and Lovetown/JT (personally, they sound basically the same to me, I think it's just the superior quality of the Point Depot bootlegs that has me knocked out). On the one hand, the richness of JT/LT has me drooling, but on the other... he had never really utilized the upper registers of his voice until ZooTV, and he is extremely good at it. Can't Help Falling in Love is fantastic, even I, a girl, can't match those notes, and he had learned to use the subtle nuances of his voice as well, as opposed to sheer vocal range. During ZooTV it still had a lot of the lower ranges and the power, without any of the scratchiness (unless it was a bad night) that appeared on Elevation and Vertigo. In short, I love them equally. About how I feel about JT and AB--they're both equally great to me, but so different it's astounding. Great in different ways, ones I can't quantify and make a decision on.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr
I think the Elevation tour was fairly boring, just because by his voice. It was like when he tried to hit a high key it went just low and or you can say it just took stop. Its like Edge playing his Streets sound very low. The only interesting show was Slane where he was very good.
I disagree. His voice had changed quite a lot from what it used to be, and sometimes that meant he couldn't reach the highest of the high notes, but what he lost he made up for with power.
This whole topic is just opinions, and in my opinion, Bono's ability to give me that natural-high feeling was at its best during the Elevation tour.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:37 PM
ZooTV easily.
I'll take Bono with restraint and tasteful phrasing over bellowing chest voice JT Bono anyday.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:

Well listen to the SBS from the 2004-11-18 - Clinton Presidential Center and Library,
Do you have this track? I am not a big fan of SBS other than R&H Version (and for some reason the version on the Sao Paulo Broadcast. I would be very grateful if you know a way to get it.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #25
Acrobat

Quote:
Another example for that problem is the opening line on BTBS on R&H: In the howlin' wind.
That's not having a cold as much as it's closing your throat. For reasons I've yet to figure out, he usually does it for that line on BTBS. It sounds ugly as sin to me, but here we are.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:37 AM
I think his LT voice is overated. He had this Kermit thing going on that is really irritating.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tommycharles

That's not having a cold as much as it's closing your throat. For reasons I've yet to figure out, he usually does it for that line on BTBS. It sounds ugly as sin to me, but here we are.
Actually, this line is an EXCELLENT example of that "opera voice" I discussed.

Bono used to fall into that "operatic" falsetto (and a falsetto doesn't just have to a high voice - any false voice) often to hit notes. For the most part, I felt he got away with it. The operatic falsetto allowed him to hit notes without having a full open voice - yet it also gave his voice a richer sound. He would only do that voice for a line or so, hence he "got away" with it. If he sang the whole song that way, he wouldn't be one of the best singers out there.

Most good singers fall into all sorts of falsettos to hit notes, add range or simply dimension to their vocals. Some do it for effect. A good singer knows when and how to use it - and is confident of properly using the falsettos. Trying to use a falsetto and failing is worse than dropping a high note, IMO.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleU
I think his LT voice is overated. He had this Kermit thing going on that is really irritating.
The Kermit thing is the operatic thing discussed below...and it's a take it or leave it thing for me...it's useful to hit things as long as it's used sparingly. I think the worst show ever for this was the McNichols show right before the Rattle and Hum one (what is it usually called on bootlegs....Mountains and something, I forget)... I'm not sure what Bono was thinking, but he used "that" voice for most of the show, and it remains my least favorite U2 boot for that reason.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tommycharles

The Kermit thing is the operatic thing discussed below...and it's a take it or leave it thing for me...it's useful to hit things as long as it's used sparingly. I think the worst show ever for this was the McNichols show right before the Rattle and Hum one
I understand that, but most people wouldn't know what I was talking about by calling it a falsetto, for most don't recognise that as a falsetto.

I wouldn't call it "operatic" at all. It just goes to show that Bono really perfected his falsetto during Zoo TV.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

My favourite is Lovetown: perfect combination of the 80's power but a touch of Zoo TV's darker, lower "colour" of his voice.

I also enjoy his current (Kite, ES, Bomb/Vertigo tour) voice: he got the range but only this time he can sing it with control.