Bonos voice change story - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Bonos voice change story

1976-79 Era
His voice is well, you hear it is a young Bono

Boy
He have devolope his voice more, more deeper, Ocean is proof of that

Ocotber
More deep

War
Thing strating to change

UF
Here is the biggest change yet, he must have been take lessons or he was very good at learning new stuff by himself.

Little more deeper and darker(smoking suspect)

JT
He voice has mature more then UF, much darker. Could it be the smoking effect that takes real effect

Lovetown
More hoarse and harder to hit notes.

More deeper and hoarse and a stronger falsette(Night and Day)

AB
Much deeper voice, more hoarse with much more techniqs. Here is a very big difference from two years ago, is it the smoking or? More falsette use.

ZooTV
Same as AB Era but with more EBowie/Elvis accent

Zoorpa Album
More high-pitched voice

Zooropa Tour
A bit weaker then ZooTV

The low register is more shaky, hard to control. But very good voice. One(Modena), TSOFOSOS and The Cross

A very big difference from 1995, weaker, more shaky in low register but the falsetto is pretty strong.

More low and hoarse, also a operation.

The operation had change the voice a bit

Atyclb
The voice has mature alot, more hoarse then ever. Smoking and causes of the operation?

Elevation 2001
His voice improves, but still hard to hit the notes clean

Stronger but still very hoarse

The voice is cleaner, but has been much more shaky. It is like he hasnt learn to handle his new stornger voice yet.

The voice is strongest since ZooTV days in some ways, the falsetto isnt so strong

The strongest stabil gets a little bit weak because hard touring, but his voice is very strong.

Much weaker and more hoarse then 2004/2005

? So will hsi voice contunie to devolope to a stronger one or stay as it are now or get weaker?

Another intressting information to hear from fans that have been around since the start is to hear how they react on Bonos voice when they first hear UF,JT,AB,Pop.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:39 AM
ive said it before and ill say it again bono needs a throat surgery!!
stop smoking and drinking!!

i cant stand bono's horse like voice!!! the man cant sing ONE the way its supposed to and the same goes for WOWY!!

Old 05-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
ive said it before and ill say it again bono needs a throat surgery!!
stop smoking and drinking!!

i cant stand bono's horse like voice!!! the man cant sing ONE the way its supposed to and the same goes for WOWY!!

But hoarsness isnt only because of the smoking, hitting high notes in 1000 concerts isnt healthy for your voice. Also the voice has mature. He also went more hoarse after the operation in 1998. So I don't think a new operation would solve anything. His voice is very good right now. My favorite voice eras of him is UF,ZooTV/Zooropa,1995 and 2004/05. He have never sing with such a passion and feeling like he do right now.

My less favorite eras are Lovetown/Popmart/Elevation.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:39 AM
He did have surgery. Just like I did. Same procedure and everything. You can do tons of training after surgery, but your voice changes no matter what.

It's true the drinking/smoking probably took a little bit of a toll on his voice, but more was how he sang. Listen to Hawkmoon 269. Then try to sing it like he did. Your voice will hurt too.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:39 AM
I have loved his voice since I've first heard back in 80/81. The only thing I noticed is voice maturity with age. Don't forget voices change from 17 to 46 years of age.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
I have loved his voice since I've first heard back in 80/81. The only thing I noticed is voice maturity with age. Don't forget voices change from 17 to 46 years of age.
But if the voice only had aged, it had sound quite different today.
Just listen from 91-97, thats no only aging.

Listen to singers like David Coverdale(White Snake) who sings better then ever on the 2004 tour, Bruce Dickinson, Freddie Mercury. They hasnt lost range and power by the years. And they also push realy hard.

But there is one difference, Bono always push one step further, a little extra force. He can push out keyys should be impossible for him to sing. And also sings with more passion and feeling then any other singer in the world.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

Just listen the cahnging years 91-97, thats no only aging.

Listen to singers like David Coverdale(White Snake) who sings better then ever on the 2004 tour, Bruce Dickinson, Freddie Mercury. They hasnt lost range and power by the years. And they also push hard.

But there is one difference, Bono always push one step further, a little extra force. He can push out keyys should be impossible for him to sing. And also sings with more passion and feeling then any other singer in the world.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:

Just listen from 91-97, thats no only aging.

Listen to singers like David Coverdale(White Snake) who sings better then ever on the 2004 tour, Bruce Dickinson, Freddie Mercury. They hasnt lost range and power by the years. And they also push realy hard.

Uhm...Freddie Mercury's voice definitely became weaker throughout the years. Listen to 70s concerts and then to 80s ones. He was still a very powerful singer, but his voice changed too throughout the years.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Partygirl

Uhm...Freddie Mercury's voice definitely became weaker throughout the years. Listen to 70s concerts and then to 80s ones. He was still a very powerful singer, but his voice changed too throughout the years.
I think the voice performence he did was Show Must Go On, in the end of that song. Did he ever do that song? If could anyone here upload it?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

actually prefer his voice during the 4th leg of the veritgo tour than any other leg, just me i guess, he just sings with much more technique this tour,

but oh well some will more than likley disagree
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
actually prefer his voice during the 4th leg of the veritgo tour than any other leg, just me i guess, he just sings with much more technique this tour,

I agree. There was more potential and more fullness to his voice in the earlier days, but as Got Philk? has explained to me (he's a singer with years of voal training), Bono's technique was horrid until very recently. I also agree that most of the "damage" causing the raspiness is not from smoking, but the incorrect technique he used early on.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I agree. There was more potential and more fullness to his voice in the earlier days, but as Got Philk? has explained to me (he's a singer with years of voal training), Bono's technique was horrid until very recently. I also agree that most of the "damage" causing the raspiness is not from smoking, but the incorrect technique he used early on.
100% agree, i think i read somewhere that he used to use his throat rather than bringing it up from his chest, hence the raspy falsetto, but his actual singing now is amazing, i just listen to miss sarajevo or anything else from the televise sao paulo show and it amazes me
Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I'm amazed by his post 2003 voice. Arguably his best since Zoo TV.
I'm guessing he took some vocal lessons?

Also, listen to how he "sang" in the 80's. No wonder his voice changed so much over the years.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2

but oh well some will more than likley disagree
I find the 4th leg very uninteresting because his voice is so weak if you compare to the other 3 legs. His voice is very shaky, he has trouble to hit the high notes. Notes he hit easy in the other 3 legs.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

I find the 4th leg very uninteresting because his voice is so weak if you compare to the other 3 legs. His voice is very shaky, he has trouble to hit the high notes. Notes he hit easy in the other 3 legs.
i personally wouldnt say he had trouble hitting the high notes at all, again am looking at sao paulo and argentina for examples, during SYCMIOYO he is harmonizing with edge during the "and its you when i look in the mirror" falsetto, personally i feel he just sounds amazing during the last leg