Bono's Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cruisin97

Babyface
Why do so many people keep saying Bono has lost his voice? I think he still sounds great (ie. Vertigo). He doesn't have that same power behind it perhaps, but maybe thats not his intention on these songs. He still nails the JT/UFF hits during concerts. Don't understand all this dissin of this incredible voice.

The original post is sarcasm, right? Go listen to SBS from the War Tour or Streets from the JT/Lovetown Tour and then listen to the same songs from Elevation. You can clearly hear the major decline in Bono's voice. I still love his voice, but it's not as incredible as it once was.

And if you want to hear him without a voice, I have two words: Popmart Sarajevo.

I love Bono's voice, and I think it complements the new album very well. That being said, it has definetly declined. I mean come on, put "Rattle and Hum" into your DVD player and listen to it, he is absolutely perfect on those songs. He's in his mid-40s, hes not in his 20s anymore. It was bound to happen, but at the same time he is still my favorite singer and his soul and emotion make him as good as ever to me personally.

U2girl said:
He's a better singer since 1990 than he was before.

:huh: He'll never hit the War or Lovetown peaks again. Post-1990 has been one steady decline.

Well I agree Bono's voice is EXCELLENT on Vertigo..he sounds young and powerful but I really hope he can hold a concert this tour cause of his constant smoking even he knows it's band for him and how much toll it's taken on his voice...
It's just not good for him to smoke and he has been told to stop since the early 90's by his doctors.....
**I think he needs shock treatment!:| **

Axver said:

:huh: He'll never hit the War or Lovetown peaks again. Post-1990 has been one steady decline.

Ugh I never cared for his first three albums high pinched wailing.

By singing I mean conveying emotion, singing notes properly, using falsetto, delveloping the low end of the voice, not screaming at the top of your lungs which is what IMO hurt his voice the most in terms of high notes.
He's learnt how to work with his voice better, and all that makes him better post 1990. IMO.

Last edited:
I've always thought he was a great singer. Sure, his voice has changed, it does constantly. Compare his pre-Joshua Tree voice with his more mature, less squeakish Joshua Tree voice. I guess it took a bad beating after Lovetown, but still, he sounded great during Zoo-TV. His voice changed from there to Popmart and Elevation, but I've learned to adjust and appreciate how awesome he still is. I think in "Vertigo", he sounds better than ever. For sure, he's still the best rock performer of all time. I'd hate to see an argument with that, since this is a U2 fan forum.

Undoubtedly Bono's voice is not what it once was, and whether or not you prefer it now or then is personal.

Then = range, passion
Now = gravel, croon

I sometimes cringe when I hear recent U2 on the radio because Bono's voice is weaker than that of the singer before or after. It's true, and it didn't always used to be this way.

So, he can still sound great when he plays to his strengths, ie Two Shots of Happy, but when singing anthems he now tends to struggle

Back
Top Bottom