Bono's vocals in Kite and ISHFWILF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2One

War Child
I remember watching the JT "classic albums" dvd and listening to Daniel Lanois talk about how he loved Bono's vocals during ISHFWILF. He said that is one of his best performance as a singer as he is really "pushing the envelope" with his range in the song. Well I've been listening to Kite a lot lately and I think that Bono is doing the same with his vocals during that song. Obviously his voice during ATYCLB is different than it was during JT, but you can really hear him "pushing the envelope" and going at the top of his range during Kite. I guess that's why I find Bono's singing in these two songs kind of similar. Any comments/opinions on this???

well he's not hitting notes as high as in ISHFWILF, but I know what you mean. I do think Kite is one of Bono's best vocals in the last 5 or 6 years. :up:

Electrical Storm is pretty strong too....

Kite wasn't good enough to be a single. It has a power-pop-rock ballad feel to it, kinda like a Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Warrant style. While it was a great vocal performance, and pretty brilliant lyrics, it was the music and the tempo that did it in.

Cheers,

J

I will guess Def Leppard and Warrant have a stye similar to other mentioned bands and I know Edge said Kite was too slow to be a single but...

I think Bon Jovi, Poison or Scorpions can only dream of writing a song like Kite.

(and I think it's a pity it wasn't a single)

Last edited:
no doubt 'kite' is one of the greatest bono's vocal performances ever but studio version of 'kite' is much better than any live version of it i've heard.it loses all the power it has as bono's voice can't hold it live. i think that the band and especially bono captured that special moment while recording it and it cannot be repeated. as for ISHFWILF it is great too and works very well live as a great singalong but my personal favourite would be 'pride'.this is bono's vocal trademark in my opinion.

Bono sang Kite half a key down live compared to the album version. During Popmart and throughout Elevation, ISHFWILF has been sang a full key (or was it even a key and a half) lower. So for the live version of Kite, I'd give Bono an "A" for effort. Any post-Zoo TV versions of ISHFWILF isn't quite up to an "A".
Kite is such a great song lyrically and a great performance - definitely something Bon Jovi or the Scorpions are not capable of. But the melody of Kite and it's power-pop-ballad tempo is what prevents the song from realizing its full potential.

Cheers,

J

I think Kite's melody is very good and probably one of Edge's most loved guitar songs, with the fans. IMO it was one of those rare times when all things came together perfectly (like Pride or One) in the studio.

I think the main - and possibly only - reason Kite reminded people of Bon Jovi (or Oasis, or Guns and Roses - all three bands were mentioned when the snippets came out) was the big, anthemic chorus.
I don't think any of those singers could pull off that - or the "I'm a man" part, though.

So only the "best" songs can be singles? Bullshit. U2's best work is their non-singles stuff-Acrobat, Gone, Zooropa, DYFL, etc. Kite is right up there w/ Bad as far as I'm concerned. Kite wasn't radiofriendly enough to be a singe.

I think Kite is one of the best songs from u2 in the last 10 years or so with absolutely great lyrics, although i think the last verse really doesnt fit in. I agree with Porter that the studio version is much better than any live version. Live the song doesnt seem to flow as beautifully as it does on the record, which mainly has to do with Bono's vocals. It's a tough song to perform live, that's one of the reasons the song was only added later to the Elevation setlist.

Patrick

I don't believe that the vocals to Kite were recorded during the ATYCLB recording sessions. Bono's voice sounds so much younger, much like ZOOTV days.

Citron said:
I don't believe that the vocals to Kite were recorded during the ATYCLB recording sessions. Bono's voice sounds so much younger, much like ZOOTV days.
I used to believe this, too...until I realized it was (partly) written about an experience he had with his kids while flying a kite, during the ATYCLB sessions. I also read an article in which Edge stated it was recorded during the early part of the ATYCLB sessions, and the song came together very quickly. Also, the line "...when new media was the big idea," dates the song to, at the very ealiest, the late 90s. This in conjuction with Bono's recent statements that our time will be remembered for two things -- the internet and our apathy toward the ongoing African crisis -- tells me the lyric is part of the same time period as these statements....that being around 1999-2000, the time when the album was recorded.

But to get back to the topic at hand, I think 'Kite' has Bono's best vocals since 'Stay'. It must have been a really good day for him at the studio that day. Every little naunce and note is hit spot on. One of my favourite parts is in the second chorus during the word, "blow". He just kind of holds it up in the air, letting it float momentarily, before letting it back down. Amazing, really. Also the part where he really hits onto some magic (I don't know if this was by accident or not, but probably not...either way the result is extraordinary) is during the word, "who" in the line, "...a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes." He kind of goes into this semi-falsetto, but only for an instant, and holds the note perfectly--all of this while in top range during that entire segment. Anyway, definitely an unbelievable day at the studio.

Back
Top Bottom