Bono's vocals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strato Edge

War Child
I personally would like to hear Bono do more "opera" vocals on the next album. It just brings a song to a whole new level. I don't know if it would happen or not, but it would be nice. What do you guys think?

I love it when he uses his full range... Electrical Storm and Hands really showed that off recently.... :up:

I dunno, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - I think the soundtrack version of Hands was decent, but his performance at the Oscars seemed really really forced to me (made me cringe actually for those few moments) :reject:

bonosloveslave said:
...his performance at the Oscars seemed really really forced to me (made me cringe actually for those few moments) :reject:

yea me too. studio versions sound great but i dont think Bono can manage it on stage, where their songs really come alive.

he should try and keep it simple and sing the 'opera' parts to a tune rather than wailing as he sometimes does :huh:

I thought the Oscar performace was fookin' brilliant. The "opera" part of the song didn't seem forced to me, I loved. Great performance it was indeed.

I agree with Strato Edge. The Oscars performance was great.

I'd love to see Bono do more with his voice, and really show off his talent. My only concern is that his voice isn't getting any younger, and if he pushes it too much, well ...

All the smoking bono has been doing might catch up with his voice sooner or later.

I've seen bono many times in concert, I have to say he sounds better live, especially when he's singing voice 2 from The Fly , very passionate :heart: and operatic

MrBrau1 said:
Listen to the Streets intro from Slane2. That's opera, and it's live. Brilliant.

yea that was beautiful. was he singing the end to 'All I Want Is You'?

if so, is there a full setlist of that particular show that i dont know about?

How about the bit at the very beginning of the Interference video where Bono sings what sounds almost like an Islamic call to prayer? Does anyone know anything about it?

^^ Yes, I always thought it sounded like that :yes: . It was the opening sounds of the ZOO TV concerts. He was always back stage somewhere or it was a recording of him singing it. I believe I have read that it is of Irish orgin. I'll have to do some research and get back to you.

Big Band

I think they should go Sinatra-style at some point. As they get older, it could suit them very well because they're so damn good at it. "One Shot of Happy...", "That's Life" and especially the Jools Holland version of "Velvet Dress" are all awesome. The new version of Velvet Dress blows away the Pop version. I think they'd age a whole lot more gracefully if they took a turn like this as they go grey. I'm all for the band rocking out, but they may get to a point where it just doesn't work anymore. I'm amazed that the Stones and Bowie have pulled it off as well as they have.

I think one of the big "what ifs" of U2 is how Bono would be doing if he hadn't smoked, or had quit while he was young.

Or if he had gotten voice "coaching" earlier and not just flat out belt everything...all those insanely high notes must have hurt his voice.

He sang a bit of opera at the star tof the Virgin Radiointerview today. He sounded f*****g great. No problems there.

i am sure bono's voice will be a lot better than that in atyclb, which i hope he will re-record the vocals and have it re-released. it will be a different album, although i know thats impossible.
one question here, do you think edge is a better singer?

Edge has a fantastic voice, but it's not nearly as strong as Bono's. Bono can project to the back of a stadium like no other...

I've always loved Edge's voice ... I think he should sing lead on more songs. If Bono wants to go out and kiss political ass, then I don't see why Edge shouldn't take the chance to sing a bit more.

yes bono has great and strong voice, while edge's edge is the range. just listen and compare discotheque and the fly.
btw, anyone ever heard larry sing?

While Edge's voice is better in terms of quality, Bono just has a strong voice that makes u2 what it is. Edge's voice is perfect for harmonies. But he is not a lead vocalist.

Larry has done some harmonies at some point in the live show. On Zoo TV in Sydney, he harmoizes on Zoo Station and Crashed Car, and does the "I feel numb" part also. I have a video of them in 1981 and he is harmonizing on the end of "Gloria." He also used to harmonize on ISHFWILF live. You can hear him sing lead on Zoo TV on songs like Dirty Old Town or Whiskey in a Jar. On the Joshua Tree tour, he sung a full band version of the Eagles Tequila sunrise, which also featured Bono on drums. I've heard it before.....it's not that good.

Back
Top Bottom