bonos vocal range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, the Wide Awake note has always been a difficult one for him, even going back as far as the UF and JT tour, but when he pulls it off its brilliant. As for Lovetown, there is a great version of Bad on the Osaka 1st December 1989 concert, he hits the notes well there and manages to hold them for some time, I think its one of the strongest performances of the tour.

DevilsShoes said:
Yeah, the Wide Awake note has always been a difficult one for him, even going back as far as the UF and JT tour, but when he pulls it off its brilliant. As for Lovetown, there is a great version of Bad on the Osaka 1st December 1989 concert, he hits the notes well there and manages to hold them for some time, I think its one of the strongest performances of the tour.

Just listen to it, and just like I wrote in my previous message he holds the note short and then "yeah eeehh yeah". I have listen to nearly all versions on Bad on LT and havent found one yet. I don't hate LT but I think he got to much problem with his voice then. But Lovetown got one realy good performence and it's the 1989-12-16 version of One Tree Hill. :)

As you said he had a lot of problems hitting Wide Awake on Uf and JT, also on ZooTV. And this show how good voice he got now, he hit the Wide Awake note alot of times on Vertigo tour. He manage to hit the note "don't you look back" on WGRYWH in a high key. Something I didnt do on ZooTV, he sang the note but not in a high key. Also he now sings the Pride chours, wich he didnt do earlier. And now the falsetto also is much stronger, just listen to the Vertigo Tour mix I have done:

www.send space.com/file/ltzk3c

I like that voice mix u made. I thought I was the only person that would do somthing like that. But I think you proved your point and I strongly agree. By the way Bono has never sounded better on Bad or Pride than the vertigo tour

Jdelbove said:
I like that voice mix u made. I thought I was the only person that would do somthing like that. But I think you proved your point and I strongly agree. By the way Bono has never sounded better on Bad or Pride than the vertigo tour

Thanks! :)

Bono's vocal range is great - from a whisper to a scream, really. Like a finger running down a seam. :up:

Re: Re: bonos vocal range

Peterrrrr said:

Well Bono are very unique, his reigster is very wide. But in my opionion there are no other singer that come close to him in singing with feeling and passion. He got soul.

The highest full voice: Wide Awake C5
Falsetto: G5

Some other high ones
Don't you look back - WGRYWH
Free - Native Son
Sing - SYCMIOYO
Still - ISHFWILF
RHMT
Name - Pride
Waooooooooooooooh(falsetto) - MW(1992-06-15 - Rottersdam)

How does the Lemon falsetto compare?

Re: Re: Re: bonos vocal range

COBL_04 said:

How does the Lemon falsetto compare?

The Lemon falsetto is amazing, its amazing how he could sing a a whole song in falsetto. But he dosent push the falsetto so high like he do in Night and Day, MW(1992-06-15, 1992-10-07 and 1993-08-28).

But one thing I wounder is how high is the falsetto he did on Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18)? You can hear it in my Bono vertigo voice mix:

www.send space.com/file/0o099r

I think Bono's falsetto for the moment is stronger then we think. He just don't wants to use it to much, if I have understand it right, to much use of falsetto hurt your voice. The Highway snippet, "Child" note in MW, WITS... show that his faletto is strong now.

And I don't think he would have so much problem singing ISHFWILF with much more force again, just listen to "keep my AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMS below" in the live version on Don't give up with Alicia Keys on Oprah Winfrey show. Well imagine if he use the force in like he do in the note "ARMS" in "CLIMB highest MOUNTAIN" in ISHFWILF.

And Bad from Vertigo tour :drool: , he holds the Wide Awake for very long, did you ever heard him do that on JT/LT/ZooTV? The Toronto version(2005-09-14) he sing the Wide Awake part three times in the song. Wich is amazing.

Another example to show how good his voice are now is how long he is able to hold the notes, "Sing"(8 sec), L'amoure(11 sec), "Touch"(5 sec). Did you ever heard him do that ever in the 80's and 90's?

And then ofcourse we have the amazing Free note in Native Son wich is 8-9 sec.´:drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: bonos vocal range

Peterrrrr said:

The Lemon falsetto is amazing, its amazing how he could sing a a whole song in falsetto. But he dosent push the falsetto so high like he do in Night and Day, MW(1992-06-15, 1992-10-07 and 1993-08-28).

But one thing I wounder is how high is the falsetto he did on Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18)? You can hear it in my Bono vertigo voice mix:

I think Bono's falsetto for the moment is stronger then we think. He just don't wants to use it to much, if I have understand it right, to much use of falsetto hurt your voice. The Highway snippet, "Child" note in MW, WITS... show that his faletto is strong now.

And I don't think he would have so much problem singing ISHFWILF with much more force again, just listen to "keep my AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMS below" in the live version on Don't give up with Alicia Keys on Oprah Winfrey show. Well imagine if he use the force in like he do in the note "ARMS" in "CLIMB highest MOUNTAIN" in ISHFWILF.

And Bad from Vertigo tour :drool: , he holds the Wide Awake for very long, did you ever heard him do that on JT/LT/ZooTV? The Toronto version(2005-09-14) he sing the Wide Awake part three times in the song. Wich is amazing.

Another example to show how good his voice are now is how long he is able to hold the notes, "Sing"(8 sec), L'amoure(11 sec), "Touch"(5 sec). Did you ever heard him do that ever in the 80's and 90's?

And then ofcourse we have the amazing Free note in Native Son wich is 8-9 sec.´:drool:

If anyone got any more examples on powerful notes from Vertigo tour just write them here :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: bonos vocal range

Peterrrrr said:

There's no doubting his voice was very strong this tour, much stronger (IMO) than on the Elevation Tour. I was there to here him sing Highway to Hell, that was terrific, he just screams it. The "freeeeeeeee" note is much better than the whole of Vertigo, and L'amoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore was just haunting.

his highest note is i cant help falling in love during the zootv tour

"take my hand, take my whole life too, but i cnt help falling in love with you"

or red hill mining town

"im haning on your ALWAYS left to hold on too"

that always is very high

He is just brilliant for me, him and freddy mercury will always be two of the best rock singers! But I favour Bono slightly more as he has done more stuff with his voice.:wink:

sorry i dont know what falsetto means can sum1 please explain?

and how could they change his mic to falsetto during the song?

am i making sense?

ultraviolet92 said:
sorry i dont know what falsetto means can sum1 please explain?

and how could they change his mic to falsetto during the song?

am i making sense?

Falsetto is singing style, you don't use the ordinary voice you have. Like Lemon wich almost the wholw song is in falsetto, the "take my hand" line in CHFIL is also in falsetto.

It is much harder to reach a high key in a full open voice then the same key in falsetto.

So for an example:

One of Bono's highest notes are: "Wide Awake" in Bad, some in RHMT, Still in ISHFWILF, "Don't you look back" in WGRYWH, "Free" in Native Son.

Bono's highest falsettos are in Night And Day(end of song), Wire, MW(1992-06-15 and 1993-08-28) and the falsetto in Highway to hell on Vertigo(2005-11-18) is another high one.

My favorite sopng in Bono's singing is:

NYD
Bad
SBS(1986-06-15 and 1992-08-16)
UF
Wire
ISHFWILF
WOWY
RHMT
IGC
RTSS(zooTV)
Spanish eyes
Unchained Melody
OTH(Vertigo tour)
Wild Irish Rose
Night And Day
One
WGRYWH
Lemon
Stay
Discotheque(Vertigo)
BD(Vetigo)
Kite(Vertigo)
Electrical Storm
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
LAPOE
Mercy
In A Lifetime
The Cross
Tommorrow(96 version)
DWTIME

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

Falsetto is singing style, you don't use the ordinary voice you have. Like Lemon wich almost the wholw song is in falsetto, the "take my hand" line in CHFIL is also in falsetto.

It is much harder to reach a high key in a full open voice then the same key in falsetto.

So for an example:

One of Bono's highest notes are: "Wide Awake" in Bad, some in RHMT, Still in ISHFWILF, "Don't you look back" in WGRYWH, "Free" in Native Son.

Bono's highest falsettos are in Night And Day(end of song), Wire, MW(1992-06-15 and 1993-08-28) and the falsetto in Highway to hell on Vertigo(2005-11-18) is another high one.

My favorite sopng in Bono's singing is:

NYD
Bad
SBS(1986-06-15 and 1992-08-16)
UF
Wire
ISHFWILF
WOWY
RHMT
IGC
RTSS(zooTV)
Spanish eyes
Unchained Melody
OTH(Vertigo tour)
Wild Irish Rose
Night And Day
One
WGRYWH
Lemon
Stay
Discotheque(Vertigo)
BD(Vetigo)
Kite(Vertigo)
Electrical Storm
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
LAPOE
Mercy
In A Lifetime
The Cross
Tommorrow(96 version)
DWTIME

thanks i get it now.
so in lemon how he's singing I feel like im slowly slowly melting

the i feel is in falsetto and the slowly metling bit is in normal

thanks heaps peterrrrr

he is a fantastic singer. Bono is is probably one of the only rock singers out there that can sing in so many different voices and each one sound amazing. He is very talented.

Back
Top Bottom