Bono's views on politics/religion & Dixie Chicks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riteshbhatt1

The Fly
I wasn't surprised at stations and some so-called fans turning on the Dixie Chicks because of the singer's comments on the war & President Bush. I mean, the stations were in the South & since I lived there most of my life, I knew what kind of environment that was.

It's interesting that you don't hear of people breaking U2 records or stations banning them because of views/comments/opinions on pretty much everything from Bono! Anyone have thoughts on this?

my thoughts are that freedom of speech is bullshit and that censorship reigns supreme in times of war.

remember after 9/11? everything from sunday bloody sunday to john lennon's imagine were deemed controversial and pulled from the air.

i thought this was the reason why america was liberating iraq?

It is why we are going into Iraq. I disagree with the Dixie Chicks being banned from radio. But the public has a right to offended by their comments and if they chose not to purchase albums or tickets as a result, that is their right.

I think the difference with Bono is that he is not an American (obviously). He has pissed off people in his own country by some of his statements about Ireland in the past. Its kind of the same theory here with the Dixie Chicks. The other major difference is that U2 actually plays good music!!! LOL

Last edited:
Yes I read about that. Radios banned their music and some of the radio hosts even called for burning their CDs!

So much for freedom of speech.

Blue Room said:
I think the difference with Bono is that he is not an American (obviously). He has pissed off people in his own country by some of his statements about Ireland in the past. Its kind of the same theory here with the Dixie Chicks.

I was really bummed that Natalie Maines issued an apology over her remarks, I don't think she should have to do that because it is her opinion and everyone is entitled to one. It's sad and disappointing that she was bullied into making a retraction.

Oh Jez,

It's a certain kind of people in the south. If they had things their way we'd all be Christians, marry our cousins, and own a few slaves. These are the same people who burned Beatles records in the 60's. I think they may be repressed sexually.

Gickies Gageeze said:
my thoughts are that freedom of speech is bullshit and that censorship reigns supreme in times of war.

remember after 9/11? everything from sunday bloody sunday to john lennon's imagine were deemed controversial and pulled from the air.

i thought this was the reason why america was liberating iraq?

I don't remember anything being pulled in n.y., as a matter of fact, I remember imagine being played that week, as well as neil young covering it.

anyway, she has a right to her opinions and she should not apologize for her remarks; the thing is, she and anyone else in show buisness might well offend potential record buyers with comments like that, so that's the risk you take.

one thing I find annoying is that just because radio is in a lame enough condition to constantly play that horrible cover of landslide, all of a sudden she thinks people give a shit about her political views.
I wouldn't care if she was for or against the war; just make some decent music lady.

MrBrau1 said:
Oh Jez,

It's a certain kind of people in the south. If they had things their way we'd all be Christians, marry our cousins, and own a few slaves. These are the same people who burned Beatles records in the 60's. I think they may be repressed sexually.
I hate to generalize, but I get the feeling you're right.

typhoon said:

Well, that is what you are doing and I dont think that is far. Its not just the south that was offended by this statement. I live in Michigan and they are reacting the same way here. Agreement or disagreement with viewpoints is fine. But why do people always resort to name calling or offensive remarks. Or worse, make generalizations about people? Isnt this kind of going against exactly what you are trying to support and just as immature?

Last edited:
typhoon said:

I think so, too.

A question-why the hell was "Imagine" pulled from the radio after 9/11?

Natalie shouldn't have to apologize for her remark, either. It's been said, it's done, let's just move on. We have bigger issues to concern ourselves with.

My parents and I were talking about the people breaking Dixie Chicks CDs and all that last night-we're thinking, okay, if you don't want to hear their music anymore after hearing their views on Bush and all, fine-I mean, if it's absolutely important for you to listen to a band that supports your views only, fine.

But then instead of crushing the CDs, or throwing them away, or some other immature thing along that line, why not just give them to people who do want them, especially those who want them but may not be able to afford them at the moment? Why not just set them out somewhere and say, "Okay, here's the CDs, anyone who wants one can come and get it". Why not do that?

I mean, if you're gonna destroy the CDs, fine, whatever-I just think that's a really immature way of going about it.

Angela

I can't believe anyone in the 21st century is resorting to such witch hunt tactics as burning CD's! :crazy: If I went around destroying CD's because the artist had done or said something I didn't like, I wouldn't have many left. We all have our own views and opinions, famous as well as not famous. They shouldn't interfere with our enjoyment of music we would otherwise like.

It reminds me of my cousin when he was a kid. He had these little toy football helmets of all the NFL teams that he had collected out of a bubblegum machine. But he had fits and stomped one every time that team beat his favorite team. After 2 or 3 years he had smashed them all but his team. How stupid! Now he's grown up and he wishes he still had the collection. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face and it's really childish. It's only hurting yourself. Like those people dumping French wine to protest France not supporting the US. Do you think the French care as long as they got the money for it? Stuff like that is just lame.

Moonlit_Angel said:

I think so, too.

A question-why the hell was "Imagine" pulled from the radio after 9/11?

Angela

one word

clear channel.

ok two words.

they own 500+ stations and control play lists, that s why commercial radio sucks and people must d/l.

Some whack job thought that certain songs might bring people down
vote down anyone who supports deregulation.

This whole thing with the Dixie Chicks is insane! What the hell is wrong with people these days? I can't even imagine being upset enough over something a musician said to set fire to or run over a copy of their CDs, or call up a radio station and demand they be removed from playlists. I read somewhere that the band Nickleback is in favor of war against Iraq, but whenever one of their songs comes on the radio I simply change the station. (Actually the reason I change the station has a lot more to do with the fact that I hate their music than disagree with their politics, but I guess that's another story).

Judging from FYM I know U2 has at least a few fans who are in favor of going to war with Iraq, but I don't hear any of THEM making a huge stink out of members of U2 going to anti-war demonstations or making statements against the war in the press. I'm glad to see that.

Gickies Gageeze said:

I dont know if it's just times of conflict.

On another tangent people should have the freedom to say what they want, but they should have reasonalbe arguements for why they feel that way. Sure, you can say anything you want, but you need to back up what you say. I think far too many celebrities dont realize this simple fact. Too many of them know jack crap about the world and politics, but will act like they have some great viewpoint or theory on stuff. Annoying. I find it far more annoying that all of their view points get so much press. Sorry, I dont give a crap about the Dixie Chicks & Shakira's thoughts on international politics.

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
This whole thing with the Dixie Chicks is insane! What the hell is wrong with people these days? I can't even imagine being upset enough over something a musician said to set fire to or run over a copy of their CDs, or call up a radio station and demand they be removed from playlists. I read somewhere that the band Nickleback is in favor of war against Iraq, but whenever one of their songs comes on the radio I simply change the station. (Actually the reason I change the station has a lot more to do with the fact that I hate their music than disagree with their politics, but I guess that's another story).

Exactly.

Originally posted by Bono's shades
Judging from FYM I know U2 has at least a few fans who are in favor of going to war with Iraq, but I don't hear any of THEM making a huge stink out of members of U2 going to anti-war demonstations or making statements against the war in the press. I'm glad to see that.

I'm glad to see that, too. That's nice.

Originally posted by SamanthaPuff
I can't believe anyone in the 21st century is resorting to such witch hunt tactics as burning CD's!

Sad, huh?

Apparently some people in this country still have some maturity level they need to reach.

Originally posted by SamanthaPuff
If I went around destroying CD's because the artist had done or said something I didn't like, I wouldn't have many left. We all have our own views and opinions, famous as well as not famous. They shouldn't interfere with our enjoyment of music we would otherwise like.

Exactly.

My dad listens to and likes Ted Nugent's music.

Does he agree with Ted's political views? No.

But that doesn't stop him from enjoying the music.

The thing I find funny is this: so, when people like Eminem go and voice their opinion on something, they're a "bad influence" on people, teaching them to think a certain way.

But when celebrities come out and speak out against the war, people are saying that their views aren't influential and won't change people's minds.

????...

Angela

I find it interesting that people who are Cheering the Dixie Chicks right for Free speech are condemning the right of the listening public.. hence the 'payers' for the advertising public for radio stations.. for their expression of free speech in the prevention of the Dixie Chicks music. The hypocrisy is quite telling.

However, I don't much care for U2's political views, Ireland as a political nation has pulled support for US in the current situation, and to all those cheering Larry's appearance in an Anti War view as courageous... Well.. It's much more chic to do so than to actually support America.. That's the real courage in today's world.

I still like U2's music.

Mr. Pink

Bono's shades said:
This whole thing with the Dixie Chicks is insane! What the hell is wrong with people these days? I can't even imagine being upset enough over something a musician said to set fire to or run over a copy of their CDs, or call up a radio station and demand they be removed from playlists.

I agree. What is going on? I think the prospect of war is freaking people out. By the way, who cares what the Dixie Chicks think or have to say.

I thought the USA was a land of freedom, but I think I'm wrong. The way the current government deals with freedom of speech is appaling. It reminds me at more dictatorial regimes. Being banned of the radio because you make a political statement that is not the same of the one of this republican government is ridiculous.
What do you Americans think about that? I've nothing against America, I even admire the country, but in the current situation, I'm pleased not to live there.

I'm Belgian and our TV reporters in the USA can't even talk to political insiders, just because our country is against an Iraq war. In GWB's mind, everyone who's not with him, is against him. This view is generalized and all the people who live in those countries are bad. What if our government would consider all the Americans as devils? I really hope you'll have the pleasure of having a new president within two years.

dsmith2904 said:
I was really bummed that Natalie Maines issued an apology over her remarks, I don't think she should have to do that because it is her opinion and everyone is entitled to one. It's sad and disappointing that she was bullied into making a retraction.

I think her record company had something to do with it-Sony. Sony sucks. But she is in america and all those stupid hillbillies who are mad at her for expressing herself are the ones that have the US flags and "these colors dont run" bumper stickers on their cars! Freedom of speech is for everyone. Not just for those opinions you agree with!

Lemonite said:
I find it interesting that people who are Cheering the Dixie Chicks right for Free speech are condemning the right of the listening public.. hence the 'payers' for the advertising public for radio stations.. for their expression of free speech in the prevention of the Dixie Chicks music. The hypocrisy is quite telling.

Public? I thought it was up to radio stations what they play or don't play.

Freedom of speech is a two way street, Natalie and the Dixie Chicks have the right to express their opinion (and unfortunatley to record a brtually bland cover of "landslide"), and radio programmers have the right to not play The Dixie Chicks, whatever their reasons, be it disagreeing with their statement or just good musical taste.

As for Natalie's statement itself...if she had said she didn't agree with war and the President, there would be very little controversy, but she had to say she was "ashamed" that the President came from her home state of Texas. Regardless of your opinion of the man, one (especially in the public eye) should show some respect for the position of President.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Regardless of your opinion of the man, one (especially in the public eye) should show some respect for the position of President.

Well, if she actually *is* ashamed that he comes from Texas, why shouldn't she be able to express that? I think her whole point is that she believes he isn't worthy of the position that he holds.

But, as you said, just as she has the freedom to say what she likes, people have the freedom to not listen to her music based on that. I think it's shallow and closed-minded, but that's their right.

I swear, about only 40% of you understand what freedom of speech is.

Ok, The Dixie Chicks have freedom of speech, she made some comment, you can agree with it or disagree with it. She was free to make this comment. She's not going to jail, the government hasnt done anything, or even said anything about it.

You have to realize that people are free to say what the please, but they have to take consequences for their actions. If someone in the public says something that offends people, they have to take responsibility and realize that it may offend people. The people offended have their own freedom of speech and can do and say what ever they please about the Dixie Chicks now. That's just how it works, welcome to life.

u2popmofo said:
You have to realize that people are free to say what the please, but they have to take consequences for their actions. If someone in the public says something that offends people, they have to take responsibility and realize that it may offend people. The people offended have their own freedom of speech and can do and say what ever they please about the Dixie Chicks now. That's just how it works, welcome to life.

Hmmmm. When Trent Lott spoke, the "freedom of speech" issue was amazingly silent.

Is it that all speech is equal, just some speech is more equal than others?

nbcrusader said:

Hmmmm. When Trent Lott spoke, the "freedom of speech" issue was amazingly silent.

Is it that all speech is equal, just some speech is more equal than others?

He was ridiculed on any and every television program in the United States and forced to resign from Congress.

Those were the consequences.

I dont get your point.

u2popmofo said:

He was ridiculed on any and every television program in the United States and forced to resign from Congress.

Those were the consequences.

I dont get your point.

Sorry, I should have used the [/sarcasm] tag.

He did suffer consequences for his words. However, there are those who ridicule the consequences the Dixie Chicks have/may face in the name of freedom of speech. The protectors of freedom of speech were silent during Trent Lott?s ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom