Bono's speech from tonight**Spoiler**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicaMom

Den Mother
Well my heart is where it's always been, my head i
This is most of Bono's speech, (there are a few words missing) from tonight.
The band played One during the speech and at the end Bono joined in:
"On September 12th, or maybe it was the 13th, the president of the world bank said that the roots of this problem are in the roots of abject poverty. The fuel for fanaticism is the abject poverty that they live in. So he puts a challenge to us that perhaps the only way to really win this war - really win it - is to try and take away that poverty. That's my prayer. There's a program here at Notre Dame - I think its called the ACE program - Father Scully's program, where people give up 2 years of their life and they go into an area where people can't get to, its been called teaching, I would call that changing the world. I would call getting the pharmaceutical companies to drop their intellectual copyright on AIDS vaccines - I would call the changing the world. And I would call letting the poorest of the poorest countries at least trade with Europe and the US - I would call that changing the world. Tonight with us we have people who turn the whole concept of celebrity on its head - celebrities are supposed to be somebody special - film stars, rock stars, are celebrities who are supposed to be heros - but we're not hereos - we are people who love what we do - but here tonight we have people from the fire department and police department in New York City. Men and women who came down to catch the u2 show tonight. Here is the kind of bravery that can truly change the world. So its possible to glue these two subjects together - the poverty in these far off places and the bravery of some of the places closer to home - if we could join these places together we might have something. This is for you."

Thanks, Nica!!!!!!

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

hahaha, that was so typical of Bono!
biggrin.gif

I copied the speech from U2guatemala.
smile.gif

Being picky, after "we are not heroes", Bono said
"we are selfish people who enjoy what we do, thank you very much..."

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
at that point I said to someone "I honestly love that man"

hehe so silly

but its true!

Bahahaha! So did I manda!
wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Thanks Mariana.

Yes, the man is special...And what he said about poverty is really important, just think about that. And it?s also sadly true.

Yes Maria Teresa, that's the sad true.
People living in cardboard houses, without jobs, with no food for them or their kids are easy to manipulate, that's the sad true in Nicaragua.
We have elections coming up there next month and the Sadinistas have made thier moves once again.
frown.gif

oops- Bono meant AIDS drugs, not vaccines; there's no such thing as AIDS vaccines!

God bless that man. Bono's got a heart of gold, and a mind to match.

It's statements like that that constantly reaffirm my pride in being a U2 fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom