Bono's scratchy voice at VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn121

The Fly
Okay, so I haven't read ALL the threads regarding the VMAs, but I didn't think U2's performance was all that great. I thought Bono's voice sounded very scratchy and...I don't know, just tired. Which is understandable considering all the touring they've been doing, but did anyone else think he sounded less than 100%?

Come on man, that's his/her opinion.

As for Bono's voice, he sounded like all the Elevation tour bootlegs I've listened so far. We all can see how his voice has changed after all these years of performing, touring and unfortunately, smoking. Some prefer it now than ever, some don't.
I think it's a natural evolution. Although he can't sing 'Bad' the way he used to, he sounds more mature, soulful and emotional now.

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

Actually, I think it sounded better than a lot of the Elevation shows I've heard, especially during Stuck.

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

I liked their performance at the VMA's. Bono did have voice problems during the POPMart tour, but his voice has sounded better on this tour. Factoring in all the shows they've done at this stage in the tour, I think his voice was good.

Elevation is great live, and the band looked into it. Stuck was great, and Bono sounded great also! The only thing is that Stuck is kind of a mellow song, and it was hard to make the transition from a hard rocking song like Elevation to a slower Stuck.

Overall, Bono's voice has held up better on this tour than the last.

Bono's voice was well rested and sounded beautful. I don't know what you were hearing.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I JUST watched a repeat of the VMA's. This was the FIRST time I saw them and saw U2's performance. While I love to think Bono's voice is always great, clearly there have been times (SNL) where it wasn't. However, Jenn121, you are VERY, VERY, VERY wrong this time. His voice was perfect. I heard NO scratchiness in it at all - and I was even LISTENING for it! I was surprised at how good he sounded.

So if you heard scratchiness, I suggest you get a better TV.

i thought he sounded good.

did you guys notice when he changed the lyrics in stuck from "the nights you filled with flowers" to "the nights you filled with fireworks." slane reference? i liked it...
smile.gif

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i thought he sounded good.

did you guys notice when he changed the lyrics in stuck from "the nights you filled with flowers" to "the nights you filled with fireworks." slane reference? i liked it...
smile.gif

It sounds like flowers on the studio version, but is indeed fireworks. Just look in your ATYCLB lyrics.
smile.gif

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

good lord! i'm such an ass! i've been singing the wrong lyrics for months! i really should read those things. the type is so small, it's such a bother.

anyway, i guess bono is learning to annunciate better. lol, i'm so stupid.
wink.gif
thanks!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

Well, I too thought Bono sounded great at the VMA's, now when I saw them in Vegas for POP, that would have really scared you!!!
wink.gif

I didn't hear anything at all wrong with his voice.. thought it sounded just great!

i think he sounded very good.
better than Grammys or EMA's last year.
comparable to TOTP studio performances-he also sounds great there.

------------------
"the beat of a U2 song is the pulse of every human heart"

Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa:
your voice is scratchy and less than 100% everything all of the time.

i annoint this one of the worst threads ever.

I heard that when Bono was a little cub that sometimes he would sing and he had problems with a scratchy voice.

Also when he sings in his sleep, he sometimes is off key and misses lyrics!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom