Bono's rockstar posturing in U23D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if it was because I read this thread right before I went and saw the movie, but I could tell that the close ups were filmed seperately and not part of a concert...

It was also very apparent that at least two seperate nights were being spliced together on certain songs. When they would show a birds eye view at one point there was a setlist duct taped to the stage, and then the next shot there was a setlist and then three more sheets of paper duct taped to the stage, maybe lyrics or a speech or something...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't know if it was because I read this thread right before I went and saw the movie, but I could tell that the close ups were filmed seperately and not part of a concert...

It was also very apparent that at least two seperate nights were being spliced together on certain songs. When they would show a birds eye view at one point there was a setlist duct taped to the stage, and then the next shot there was a setlist and then three more sheets of paper duct taped to the stage, maybe lyrics or a speech or something...

wow, very observant of you!

No spoken words said:
I thought they culled footage from at least 3 different concerts, plus the "cameras only" performances?

yep i believe that is correct. Monterrey, Mexico, Buenes Aires and Sao Paulo, Brazil... They also did some filler/crowd shots in Melbourne..

Jeannieco said:

I totally do! That's part of why I love him!

Exactly! I so :love: goofy Bono, and I wouldn't have him any other way. I mean, when he flaps his arms like a bird, he's not trying to be cool or serious - just the opposite: playful, silly, and fun. It's part of what sets him apart from so many other rock stars who put themselves on such a high pedestal and take themselves so seriously.

This is part of why U2 fans have such genuine affection for the band, not just their music.
:heart:

Different nights are very obvious in The Fly as well. Edge is playing both his Line 6 guitars, the sparkle finish and the vertigo target finish. It keeps switching back and forth during the song.

Thats what I don't get about The Fly and WOWY then. On U23D they're kind of....well....not so great. (as far as those songs went during that tour, I mean). Some of the other songs were almost standout versions in terms of how great they sounded...Beau Day, NYD, Streets, Pride, Miss Sarajevo, to name a few...

:shrug:

I didn't read this entire thread....but saw the movie again for the second time last night. There was a point where Bono jumps backwards in "slow motion". That was the only time I thought.....geeze....if he were a younger Bono, perhaps the jumping backwards would have been clearly higher and more pronounced.....and not a *ahem* step backwards.

I love the guy just the same...

U2Fanatic4ever said:

yep i believe that is correct. Monterrey, Mexico, Buenes Aires and Sao Paulo, Brazil... They also did some filler/crowd shots in Melbourne..

and SANTIAGO, Chile :madwife:

After watching the movie I have to say he's not doing anything he doesn't normally do onstage...

Maybe it's because of the 3D aspect and being so close you never noticed it before but that's Bono...

If you can't take a little embarrassment when he does his "Rock Star Poses" and dramatic embellishments (Wing flapping, chest thumping, flamenco clapping, etc) then I have to wonder if you have been paying attention to him during their live show cus this is what he does every night... :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I knew about it ahead of time but didn't really notice it in the movie until close to the end. Otherwise I don't think it was really noticeable. There was one point, not sure what song, where there's a close up of Bono, maybe at the end of Streets, where he's REALLY smiling and I thought that looked fake. AWESOME movie though. Can't wait to see it again.

What's the point of being a rock star if you can't do those goofy rock star poses? Where would Pete Townsend be without the windmill? Where would Mick Jagger be without his ridiculous strut. Part of what we love about rockstars is their ability to get away with that shit.

U2FloridaFan said:

I knew about it ahead of time but didn't really notice it in the movie until close to the end. Otherwise I don't think it was really noticeable. There was one point, not sure what song, where there's a close up of Bono, maybe at the end of Streets, where he's REALLY smiling and I thought that looked fake. AWESOME movie though. Can't wait to see it again.

ooh I'll bet you are talking about the end of Pride when everyone in the crowd is doing the "oh oh-oh ohs!" That was a big smile. But it didn't look fake to me at all. If that's the one you meant.

Found this article and thought it was interesting that it had to do with a bit of Bono's fabulous grandstanding.

Bono performs at Vancouver’s GM Place during the Vertigo tour. U2 3D was shot at nine concerts during the tour, mostly in South America (Buenos Aires, Mexico City, So Paulo and Santiago) in early 2006, with additional footage shot in Melbourne, Australia. The film is now playing at IMAX Canada Place.

Shot on the South American leg of U2’s Vertigo tour, U2 3D is being billed as the first-ever live action 3D digital, multi-camera, real-time production.

Artificial intelligence that aligns "eye position" of a stereoscopic camera, high-res 3D systems with zoom lenses, robotic control and integrated digital processing combine to make Bono bigger and, for nonbelievers, more annoying than ever.

When he reaches his hand out as he sings "Wipe the tears from your eyes" during Sunday Bloody Sunday, it seems like he’s going to grab your 3D glasses. And when he fully emotes, which is most of the time, you can count the beads of sweat while trying to figure out the height of his platform shoes.

Yet, for fans, U2 3D should not be missed. Call the singer what you want — a preening opportunist, a political meddler, a Vanity Fair editor — but he understands what makes for a great performance and the power of the grand gesture. He’s one of rock’s most intense, theatrical frontmen, and this fact is brought home time and again as the cameras take the viewer from the concert arena floor to stage. While drummer Larry Mullen Jr. keeps the ship on course and the Edge inconspicuously reels off million-dollar riffs, Bono sells each and every note to the cheap seats as he prowls, poses and parades along centre stage and two catwalks extending into the audience. Besides the singer, only bassist Adam Clayton, who vies with Meg White as the Luckiest Person in Rock — because, let’s face it, a million other musicians could do what he does, with the possible exception of putting up with Bono for 30 years — indulges in any grandstanding.

Though the film does have some cool visual effects, including a shower of falling letters (as in the alphabet) and a digital ghost — Bono, for the most part the National Geographic production lets the band, the music and the audience do the work.

What finally makes U2 3D a better-than-average concert film isn’t the magnificent sound and stunning visauals but the interaction between the musicians and its fans. Rather than detracting from the performances, the shots of the ecstatic crowd, whether from the stage or from within the audience, demonstrate just how much these songs, and by extension the group, have come to mean to people.

Sure, the argument can be made that message-oriented numbers like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky and Pride (in the Name of Love) are simplistic, but try not to feel a chill when you realize the decades-old indictments of violence and war don’t seem dated at all.

I had the, uhm, privilege of seeing, just a few days before the U2 3D screening, a U2 tribute band at the Commodore. The Toronto-based Elevation played competent versions of the hits and a few obscurities, cribbed stage banter from live U2 albums and even (ill-advisedly) dressed like their heroes. It was fun in a cheesy sort of way but left me hungry for something more. U2 3D satisfied that craving — heck, it might even be better than the real thing.

Wow, that's one of the most *negative* reviews I've ever seen where the reviewer ends up revealing he actually liked the subject... Man! Sounds like an unpleasant dude to hang out with if he talks as "big" as he reviews. ;)

Oh, and I agree w/all the peeps who find Bono's dorkiness endearing (or at least amusing!).

rosephile said:
Wow, that's one of the most *negative* reviews I've ever seen where the reviewer ends up revealing he actually liked the subject...

Um...I dunno, but I'd say this guy is about as big if not bigger a U2 fan than anyone here...pretty good review, he was honest, balanced and showed he can love the band without having to profess undying love for every little thing they do. I didn't get the impression he was panning the movie at all, but I could be wrong!

I was good with all of Bono's posturing. It's what he does.

I think the flapping of his arms during Beautiful Day in U2:3D was a little too much though. :wink:

The Pet Shop Boys' song 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?' sums up everything I want to say about Bono at this point...

You live upon a stage, and everyone's agreed
You're the brightest hope by far that anyone can see
So when you take the limelight you can guarantee
You're gaining fame and claiming credibility
Tell me baby are you gonna get high as a kite?
Tell me baby are you gonna let it happen every night
How can you expect to be taken seriously?

You live within the law, and everyone assumes
You must find this a bore, and try something new
You're an intellectual giant, an authority
To preach and teach the whole world about ecology
Tell me baby are you gonna make any other claim?
Tell me baby are you gonna take any of the blame?
(Seriously)
(Seriously)

You live within the headlines, so everyone can see
You're supporting every new cause and meeting royalty
You're another major artist on a higher plane
Do you think they'll put you in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame?
Tell me baby how you generate longevity
Tell me baby how you really hate publicity
Seriously (seriously)
Seriously, aah

(Do you have a message for your fans?)

(Seriously)
Seriously
(Seriously)
Seriously
Aah, seriously"

lmixristhebest said:
I saw the movie last night. I thought Bono's posing was appropriate & just what I expected from post-Joshua Tree Bono. He's probably the most famous rock star in the world; I don't mind his posturing, since it's kind of expected from people in that position.

I agree....if would be boring if Bono just stood there. I like his "stage moves." Especially, the funny ones. I think it makes him seem more "human" and not the perfect star.

Back
Top Bottom