bono's political activities increased around times of new albums or tours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
on a few message boards im on, and people in general in my everyday life... everyone bitches at me.. saying that they think that, as far as bono meeting with the president, setting up all this africa stuff, etc... always seem to uncannily occur and spike around when the band releases a new album or starts touring.

what do you think?

is all the political/africa stuff a way to boost sales or publicity?

honestly, i dont think so.. but im interested in a debate.

I can see how people think that, seeing Bono in pictures during current U2's tour with politicians, but no.

(Though the connection between "Bono activist = bigger U2 album sales" still confuses me, especially since he's gotten so much flak, even from fans, for it. And exactly how much publicity does he need?)

In fact, Bono's activist work has delayed the release of last two albums.

I would ask those people: where was a new U2 album 1985 when he went to Ethiopia, or 98-99-early 2000 when he started focusing on activism, or 2002-2003-early 2004 - with all the speeches/meetings he had?

Last but not least, I have yet to see an Africa related Bono article that wold say anything about a "new U2 album". He also doesn't want to be asked about the band and music in those meetings.

Last edited:
The Africa-political stuff to boost their albums??
Do they really need selfish advertisement like that???
Whoever says a thing like that just investigates in a very silly way in Bono´s feelings, he always made what he does, whether he´s around with the band or not.
I piss myself laughing by hearing such comments, the ones who say to you these things are just catched by prejudice or by mere U2/Bono disliking.
This is very infamous.
Publicity is what maybe media turn on..............

It seems to me that his political/charity work actually goes down around the time of albums/tours - it's just people notice it more because U2 are more regularly in the headlines at such times and Bono's of course going to say things in concert.

I think its actually the other way around. Bono increases his political work because of U2 touring.

Firstly, when U2 are touring they are flying around the place so it makes sense for Bono to stop off and visit the politicians at each city while he is there. I believe he has some members of DATA on the tour with him to assist with these activities.

Secondly, what the hell else is Bono gonna do in between shows? Bono doesn't strike me as the type to sit inside watching the televison in between shows. Bono is not single so he is presumably not into the Motley Crue lifestyle.

I figure it's more beneficial for Bono to crank up his political work when U2 are touring, run himself ragged, and then go away from the public eye for a while.

I'm not basing my opinon on any facts, just my gut reaction. I could well be pulling these concepts out of my perfectly formed butt. :wink:

Axver said:
It seems to me that his political/charity work actually goes down around the time of albums/tours - it's just people notice it more because U2 are more regularly in the headlines at such times and Bono's of course going to say things in concert.

Indeed, there are a lot more articles and stories on his activities when he's not on tour.

MattFromNYC said:
on a few message boards im on, and people in general in my everyday life... everyone bitches at me.. saying that they think that, as far as bono meeting with the president, setting up all this africa stuff, etc... always seem to uncannily occur and spike around when the band releases a new album or starts touring.

what do you think?

ooooo your such an old synic :wink:

I´m not sure even Bono could ensure that the G8 summit coincides with U2´s world tour!

MattFromNYC said:

what do you think?

No.

Actuall between ATYCLB and HTDAAB his work on Africa was at it's peak, in my opinion.

There were reports on his activities everyother day between the albums, I would hope he would say something about the new album, but it was always about africa during this time. That's cool.

There has been a big decrease in his activism this tour, probobly because he's got alot less time!

Sometime between ATYCLB and HTDAAB I remember some web site listing all of U2's album releases and subsequent tours and how it coincided around his charitable work. It must be going around again.

I think people who investigate all this should just admit they are a fan and stop being so critical of every movement Bono makes. Bono & U2 do what they do.

*this is not directed at anyone in particular. just remembered reading this on a web site a while back :wink: *

Bono and U2 are the greatest artists around. I don't think they need to do tricks to stay relevant or to get publicity.
I mean, they're at a point where also if they do something that is not their best, we tend to like it -- or at least some part of it.

SO, definetely, I believe their a sincere, honest group!

Usually when an album isn't finished, a band would actually WORK on it, and then when they are done working on it, then they can focus on some charity events before the tour starts-- not because they are heartless bastards who want media attention, but because they are free for a few months and finally have a chance to get out of the studio and do something. However in this case, I think from the end to the Elevation tour to the current day, Bono has kept a high profile all the way through.

boystupidboy said:

Your right.......... but he could ensure that the world tour coinsides with the G8 summit:down:

That's true! But still, I don't think publicity is the motivation for his charity work. It appears to take up a great deal of his time and energy, and I think you're only going to do that if you really feel strongly about what you're doing.
Yes, I know the argument could also be made that he really feels strongly about the extra publicity blah blah blah..... I just don't think thats the case.

Perhaps since he is touring he can meet with people(politicians, etc.) more readily. In his off-time, I am sure he spends some much needed time with his family.

Back
Top Bottom