Bono's Picks for the 2 Biggest Hits on "Bomb"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ROW Singles

Vertigo
Sometimes
ABOY
OOTS
Miracle Drug

US Singles

Vertigo
ABOY
Sometimes
OOTS
AMAAW

AMAAW is built for american adult contempory radio. Miracle Drug will do better in Europe. I am really confident from everything I have read and listening to the album. The only question is timing - they may make OOTS the last single as it gears towards 2005 Christmas and AMAAW is more of a "summer song"

There is now way on earth that COBL. LOPOE or Crumbs will be singles - I luv the songs but not for single release.

Considering what they played on the promo tour, Miracle Drug, COBL or OOTS might be singles.
I think Miracle Drug might be left as a "gem" and not become a single.

innocent_eyes said:
I'm not too keen on OOTS, the 2nd half of the song is brilliance and U2 magic, but the first have could have been soo much more. AMAAW and Yahweh beat the crap out of it.

I might agree. But people with your ears don't run the radio stations.... At least not in Nashville.

I don't know about this...

OOTS just hasn't done it for me...why is this song so beloved?

I can't see it doing well on radio...I think Sometimes will do much better...

zoo tv mcg said:

There is now way on earth that COBL. LOPOE or Crumbs will be singles - I luv the songs but not for single release.

I agree with L&PorE and Crumbs. I adore L&PorE, but it's just not right for radio. If HTDAAB was selling at a phenomenal rate 1.5 years from now and the record label wanted to release yet another single to keep it going strong, then maybe L&PorE would be that song (as a 6th or 7th :ohmy: single). But I don't see that happening.

However, CoBL could and should be a single - the 4th single. I like the long instrumental beginning, but, sadly, that may have to be trimmed for radio. But that staccato is one of the most catchy things I've ever heard! This song is definitely meant for radio. The entire arena/stadium will be singing along in concert to the refrain. So after a little modifying for radio, CoBL should be the 4th single. Sometime around June, I imagine.

doctorwho said:

However, CoBL could and should be a single - the 4th single. I like the long instrumental beginning, but, sadly, that may have to be trimmed for radio. But that staccato is one of the most catchy things I've ever heard! This song is definitely meant for radio. The entire arena/stadium will be singing along in concert to the refrain. So after a little modifying for radio, CoBL should be the 4th single. Sometime around June, I imagine.

I believe Michael Griffiths said there is potential for CoBL to become what Clocks was for Coldplay and I tend to agree - very radio friendly, even if it isn't my favourite tune on the album.

i dont like COBL very much. i dont see what the big deal is about it
OOTS is the most awesome song on the album and everyone should hear it.
i made my friend listen to a couple songs today in my drawing class, he is into hip hop and stuff right, and his favorite was original of the species.

you think youve gotten to the best part (bum bum bum" ill give you evrything that you want" bum bum bumbumbumbum bum bum) then "you are the first one of your kind" and you think the best part is over but then( and you feeeelll ...... i want the lot of what you got and i want nothing that ur not) not only is that one of the most beautiful lyrics on the whole cd but they coul;d just stop there. but no. and then soaring in (every where you go you shout it you dont have to be shy about it.. no) and then at the end, when you dont think it could get any more uplifting (dodo dodo dodo dodo dodo dodo sugar come on show your soul you been keeping your love under control)
ahww its the best man!
i love original of the species its my favorite song. so climactic. you wanna shout at the end of it

sorry about ranting on! i really love that song

Last edited:
zooperson said:
i made my friend listen to a couple songs today in my drawing class, he is into hip hop and stuff right, and his favorite was original of the species.

you think youve gotten to the best part (bum bum bum" ill give you evrything that you want" bum bum bumbumbumbum bum bum) then "you are the first one of your kind" and you think the best part is over but then( and you feeeelll ...... i want the lot of what you got and i want nothing that ur not) not only is that one of the most beautiful lyrics on the whole cd but they coul;d just stop there. but no. and then soaring in (every where you go you shout it you dont have to be shy about it.. no) and then at the end, when you dont think it could get any more uplifting (dodo dodo dodo dodo dodo dodo sugar come on show your soul you been keeping your love under control)
ahww its the best man!
i love original of the species its my favorite song. so climactic. you wanna shout at the end of it

Great post, I think you sum up why I like this song...its like one emotional high after another.

zooperson said:

ahww its the best man!

:up: :applaud:

Sleep Over Jack said:

Nope. Neither song is all-round brilliant like OOTS os, it is a MASSIVE pop song, with all the right ingredients..the two you spoke of oyu are good songs but not great, IMO.

Nope IMO, :wink:

I like this song a lot, but those unbelievably cheesy and UNNECESSARY synth strings keep it from being an all-timer. How can anyone hear that in 2004 and not cringe? It's not subtle! Can't they at least bring in someone like Van Dyke Parks, who did a great job putting strings on All I Want Is You?

Then again, I think the studio version of Bad is awkward and disposable, and it's one of my favorites because of what it's become. If they can play OOTS live with Edge on freaking GUITAR or piano AND guitar a la New Year's Day, they can still make it the classic it was intended to be.

laz

lazarus said:
I like this song a lot, but those unbelievably cheesy and UNNECESSARY synth strings keep it from being an all-timer. How can anyone hear that in 2004 and not cringe?

I can hear it in 2005 and still not cringe. Nothing wrong with it. Love the strings, love the chord progression, Edge's guitar in the chorus, the later verses, the bridge, especially the end.... and of course Bono's voice. It blends in together brilliantly. Any song that still gives me chills after hearing it 20 or so times is a masterpiece in my book.

zoo tv mcg said:
ROW Singles

Vertigo
Sometimes
ABOY
OOTS
Miracle Drug

US Singles

Vertigo
ABOY
Sometimes
OOTS
AMAAW

AMAAW is built for american adult contempory radio.

What whould you know about that, Aussie?
AMAAW
throwup.gif
shouldn't be a single anywhere!

Miracle Drug will do better in Europe. I am really confident from everything I have read and listening to the album. The only question is timing - they may make OOTS the last single as it gears towards 2005 Christmas and AMAAW is more of a "summer song"

Single Type Songs:
Vertigo
ABOY
Sometimes
COBL
Crumbs

Not-Single Type Songs:
OSC
AMAAW :barf:
Yahweh
Fast Cars (still a cool song)

??? Type Songs:
OOTS
Miracle Drug

Kick-Ass Live Type Song:
LAPOE :drool:

LyricalDrug said:
Well, I'm feeling smug at the moment because ever since I heard the "Bomb," I've been running around telling everyone that "Sometimes" and "Original" are two of U2's best songs ever, and the two best on the album by far. And now check out what Bono told Rolling Stone!

BONO: But I won't really feel confident until "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" or "Original of the Species," one of those two, punctures the "pop" balloon. Otherwise, the album won't be what it should be.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Hopefully someone has pointed this out already, but Bono did not say that these two songs were the "biggest hits on the album". He simply said the album won't be all it could be if these two songs don't have cross-over success.

I still have yet to see what is wrong with the strings...I think they actually add a lot of climax to the track.

LyricalDrug said:
Dalton that is a great point.

Still, I think it's safe to say that Bono is as proud of those two songs as he is of any other on the album.

Let me first say that I think that Bono is (and should be) proud of those songs, but I don't think this original qoute supports that. His comment is just logical. HTDAAB will do well if it stays in the Adult Contemporary (or whatever) and rock arena, but if it is to be HUGE numbers wise and history wise one of those two songs will have to do well in the pop (the dominant) market that saturates the pop culture.

bcrt2000 said:
OOTS definately can be a hit-- with the opposite crowd that liked vertigo though, the older music crowd, who are into the beatles, because it seems that every beatles fan who listens to OOTS immediately says its beatle territory & a great song

I despise the beatles but love OOTS

I still don't see what anybody sees in "Original". To me, it just sounds like a song on the second half of Actung Baby...but nowhere near THE BEST SONG EVAR!!!1!!one!!1eleven!!1

Heck, I liked "New York" and "Peace on Earth" more than I do OotS.

I love OOTS, but it will never be a classic, since they are not able to play this song on stage. Edge will get in trouble with the piano/guitar part and some parts of the song are just too high for Bono.
But I still hope they will play it this year. Tune it down (half)/Edge should use the guitar more...

Back
Top Bottom