Bono's operatic voice on CBS special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Was it just me or did anyone else notice during the 40/Streets segue on U2's Beautiful Day broadcast on CBS, Bono wailing in that beautiful operatic voice as if he were crying out to his father. This was of course the first show since his father had passed (I believe). I just remember how powerful that felt, I got goosebumps. He really needs to sing more like Pavorotti and less like Marvin Gaye (or try to anyway).

I apologize, if this has been discussed, I was curious to see if it was just me who noticed it.

:wave: I noticed it! I didn't think Bono could still sing like that live. It was amazing! I was wondering if that operatic sound could be a tribute to his dad, who was a big opera fan. I remember someone bringing that up when the operatic bit in "The Hands That Built America" was being discussed.

nbcrusader said:
Of all the live performances I've heard, that was the most powerful use of his voice to open Streets. :yes:

I agree. Seemed like a very cathartic wail. It was incredibly moving.

Sorry to rehash an old thread but I just downloaded "Streets" from Toronto on May 25th, 2001. Bono does the operatic intro but extends it even longer than he did at Slane. I was at this show but didn't realize how special this was at the time. It is unreal!! I got chills hearing/watching the Slane special when Bono wailed the Streets intro but if you enjoyed that intro you really have to download May 25, 2001 Toronto (my version of the boot is called "Airport 2001" and it is very good quality...Bono's voice is right out front).

Cheers.

Brady

Last edited:
Well that scream is one of my favorite parts about Elevation shows. I haven't heard the Slane one, but of the few I've heard my favorite is from 15 May Chicago Elevation. I get chills everytime!

yeah bono's opera on the toronto show (which i was also at) is better than at Slane. He's saying 'let them go' too, which is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom