Bono's Operatic Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I've been excessively busy lately, so my apologies if this has already been posted.

As I listen to "Hands..." on the 90's "Best Of", I couldn't help but hear that beautiful operatic burst. Is that Bono?

Those of you who have the Passenger's "Radio Documentary" promotion know that there is just a short snippet of Bono doing the Pavarotti part in "Miss Sarajevo". Even though the clip is extremely short, Bono does a magnificent job!

Then, there's that operatic burst in songs like "Wild Honey".

So, again, is this Bono? And if so, what do you all think when Bono has these bursts? Should there be more of them? :)

As for me, at first I thought Bono was a bit too operatic (see "Joshua Tree") in his vocals - but with these true opera-style bursts, I really dig them. I hope there's more!

I was wondering about that part in Hands too. I don't know who's singing that, but I love it. It kind of bursts out of nowhere.

this is gonna bug me now
it actually started playing as i opened this thread.

i thought that the guy singin that weird arse version of anarchy in the usa on mdh was bono puttin on a funny voice at first hehee :lol:

The operatic bit in "Hands" is definitely Bono. It sounds as if his voice has been put through some sort of "processing" to distort it slightly to me (you know like In "Zoo station" for example). Whatever, he sounds great! :up:

I think it is Bono. :)

If you listen closely to the end of the operatic burst, it has a VERY Bono-esque sound. The operatic burst is also well within Bono's normal range. Lastly, Bono's father adored opera - so I'm sure Bono was "trained" enough in that sound. During the JT-era, many of Bono's live performances would have similar operatic bursts, which really showcased his vocals.

Speaking of vocals, Bono's done an OUTSTANDING job on "E-Storm" and "Hands...", no? It's almost like the voice that was "broke" during "Pop" has now come back 10x as strong! Even the redone vocals on "Gone" are fantastic! :yes:

There aren't any additional credits for the song - that is my biggest clue, but I agree that it is still in his range. If it was an actual opera singer, I don't think they would have bothered to distort it. It's not horrible, but I don't think the song would be lacking if they had left this part out.

bonosloveslave said:
There aren't any additional credits for the song - that is my biggest clue, but I agree that it is still in his range. If it was an actual opera singer, I don't think they would have bothered to distort it. It's not horrible, but I don't think the song would be lacking if they had left this part out.

GASP! :no:

I really like this operatic burst. In any other song, it wouldn't have worked - but it just gives this particular song almost an "ache" at its core, a true yearning - which works brilliantly given the theme of the song.

Still, the slight distortion is yet another clue. Hey, I was impressed by the operatic burst! :yes: I hope Bono does more.

You know, when this subject was discussed before I said that the voice in that operatic part resembled to me to Alessandro Safina, he?s the tenor from Moulin Rouge sountrack, in case you don?t know him. But that was before the release of the Best Of. If you say there is no mention to other singer than it must be Bono. I only have the mp3 file of the song so far, so I can?t say actually... We?re still to see the release of the Best Of here. :(

edited: something I can say is...I?m with you doctorwho. I love that part of the song as well. :love:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

In any other song, it wouldn't have worked - but it just gives this particular song almost an "ache" at its core, a true yearning - which works brilliantly given the theme of the song.

Still, the slight distortion is yet another clue. Hey, I was impressed by the operatic burst! :yes: I hope Bono does more.

Exactly!

This is definitely Bono, anyone who's listened to Billy Boola knows it cuz he sings in the background for that song too in the same way.

I lurve his voices. :kiss:

Definitely Bono.

As a matter of fact, I read in another forum that Larry confirmed it in an interview, but I didn't see a link or the interview. :)

It was driving me crazy this weekend, so I kept switching on the CD from the opera parts in Miss Sarejavo to Hands. Miss Sarejavo definitely has a different sound than Hands. Hands is quite a bit more "processed."

It sounds terrific, though, and I am very impressed. This makes Bono's singing even better IMHO.

I've always hated opera, but I do enjoy it in small doses in U2 songs. It makes their music very creative, original, and classy.

:up: U2!

doctorwho said:

I really like this operatic burst. In any other song, it wouldn't have worked - but it just gives this particular song almost an "ache" at its core, a true yearning - which works brilliantly given the theme of the song.
:up:

I'm totally sure it's Bono, though the very first moments is "put through some processing" like Larry's Drumstick said. :yes: But it is great and as long as those snippets :love: doesn't affect his other singing like in the JT era it is totally okay with me if he does those opera singing :laugh: especially cos it gives the songs an emotional new meaning.

I am loving it too.

Bono on E-storm and Hands - his voice is soo amazing.

Let's post some of Bono's finest vocal moments ( can be live too).

I'm thinking back to the New Years Eve Dublin show 1989- I think it was on One Tree Hill where Bono took is voice to an amazing level and gave me.... CHILLS. and also on Love Rescue Me.

:heart:

:bono:

doctorwho, as always, i agree with ya. it is an amazing burst of voice and the song would be incomplete without it. two thumbs way way up. :D

Back
Top Bottom