Bono's New Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
So far not too many people have mentioned this - what do you guys all think of Bono's voice? I think it sounds fantastic! So much power, and energy! No cracking! These vocals blow anything on ATYCLB out of the water. I hope he keeps this vocal style throughout the album, instead of the 'intentional voice breaking' he seemed so fond of 4 years ago.

So what do you all think? It's a miracle! You're the man, Bono!

-Mike

Some of the early reviews said that his voice cracked here and there on the album. Maybe it was the NME article.
I wouldn't expect a complete reinvention. But he does sound spectacular on Vertigo.

It sounds better than it did on Beautiful Day, that's for sure. My pal, a U2 fan as well, would always do a joke whenever I would play Beautiful Day in the car. He would start a Bono impression:

::squints eyes, takes a long drag off an imaginary cigerette::

::sings very hoarsely:: "Well it's a beautiful day!" ::coughs::

I thought he sounded less hoarse.

I do like raspy Bono too though. :up:

Yes, compared to certain tracks on ATYCLB (particularly when you listen to them in headphones) where Bono's voice was, albeit probably partially deliberately at least, kind of hoarse and raspy, Vertigo is a marked improvement.

I can't believe just how good his voice is sounding.

This is not a 44 year old singing. I think Larry shared the fountain of youth.

he sounds very clear here, and amazingly he's hitting the same notes that he did on pride the studio version! and it sounds crystal clear to me. to get techinical, this is a full note higher than the highest one on beautiful day which is insane.

he sounds amazing really :up:

I must say what I like most about Vertigo is that all 4 guys sound really great

are we listening to the same song?

Is his voice great as compared to what?

It is heavily showing its age. Be honest folks, he was well known for his distinctive note belting cannon of a voice. Lets put away our bias and be honest

it ain't what it used to be and its only going to get worse. The plus side is that the band musically is at their best.

i know this has been mentioned b4 but i love how his voice sounds so unique on each album and he's done it once again. awesome!

uh oh

PowerSurge said:
are we listening to the same song?

Is his voice great as compared to what?

It is heavily showing its age. Be honest folks, he was well known for his distinctive note belting cannon of a voice. Lets put away our bias and be honest

it ain't what it used to be and its only going to get worse. The plus side is that the band musically is at their best.

I prefer the older Bono voice. I think it's getting better. Getting old isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean their songs are going to sound worse I think they sound much better especially this new one. If this is a sign of things to come im very happy.

Re: uh oh

Lara Mullen said:

I prefer the older Bono voice. I think it's getting better. Getting old isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean their songs are going to sound worse I think they sound much better especially this new one. If this is a sign of things to come im very happy.

Getting old is DEFINATELY not a BAD thing:wink:

I'm not saying it is BAD, I'm just pointing out the obvious, there is not one person dead or alive that can TRULY and HONESTLY (who have heard the ENTIRE U2 catalogue) not admit this is the case. That being said, he does get alot of mileage out of what he has left. Kind of like MJ on the b-ball court with the Wizards; he wasn't high flying, but he really knew what to do with the ball and his body to still make him a good player.

In terms of reaching notes and not fucking up it sounds great but I don't like the childish feel on his voice, I rather have the more dirty vocals. It's not bad, it defenitly got enery and that's what the song seems to need. It's not a new voice however. Not at all.

david said:
It sounds better than it did on the Zooropa album and that was 11 years ago.

But not as good as SOME songs on POP. Remember Zooropa was mostly recorded during ZooTV, and according to the band themselves, late night AFTER concerts. Thats like a football team playing a game on Sunday night, then practicing later at midnight....you're not going to get the best results.

Re: Re: uh oh

PowerSurge said:

Getting old is DEFINATELY not a BAD thing:wink:

I'm not saying it is BAD, I'm just pointing out the obvious, there is not one person dead or alive that can TRULY and HONESTLY (who have heard the ENTIRE U2 catalogue) not admit this is the case. That being said, he does get alot of mileage out of what he has left. Kind of like MJ on the b-ball court with the Wizards; he wasn't high flying, but he really knew what to do with the ball and his body to still make him a good player.

The thing is, early Bono was crap! While his vocals were O.K. on some of "Boy", I thought they got worse on "October" and much worse on "War". In fact, I feel "War" is Bono's worst album vocally.

Starting with AB, Bono created this "scratchy" voice, which he's used to great effect on songs like "One", "Beautiful Day", "In a Little While", etc. And it takes effort to create that voice. Listen to live versions of those songs - they often sound more clear and more powerful than the album version. Just because a person is scratchy doesn't mean their voice is gone.

Does Bono have the range he once had? I say he does - but he's lost a certain "richness" to it. However, that richness was VERY short-lived. He had it for JT and mostly R&H. Trouble was, he would often lose his voice singing that way.

From what I heard on ES, HTBA and now "Vertigo", I would say this is the best I've heard Bono sound since R&H.

he sounds awesome on the record...there are a few notes that i'm surprised he hit...i just hope this doesn't turn into another Red hill mining town thing...
I suppose though he knows we'll know the words by the time the tour starts, and we're not adverse to helping out with the singing a little :)

His voice does sound great!

I think we can expect more great vocals from the album. The short clip of Miracle Drug already attests to it.

PowerSurge said:

But not as good as SOME songs on POP. Remember Zooropa was mostly recorded during ZooTV, and according to the band themselves, late night AFTER concerts. Thats like a football team playing a game on Sunday night, then practicing later at midnight....you're not going to get the best results.

That's not true actually. Bono recorded his vocals for Zooropa in between legs of the ZooTV tour.
If you really think U2 played shows with Bono singing his heart out 'till he was hoarse and then recorded new songs after MIDNIGHT you're on crack. Seriously.

I didn't notice anything great about his voice, it's the same old scratchy powerless voice. I don't know why people like to overreact here. As i see it , a voice like bono's works better with a song like kite or stuck... i kind of like the sound of vertigo i just think his voice doesn't fit very well.

Hola amigos :wave:
Well, this is a very popular conversation, I mean, a singer´s voice :bono:

In terms of Bono´s voice, first of all, we have to analyze separate his voice on albums and tours. We usually has sounded different than album. For example, in "Acthung Baby" his voice is clearly hoarser and rougher than Zoo TV. The same thing happen with "Rattle & Hum" and Lovetown tour. The Best Bono´s voice on an album was on "The Unforgettable Fire" ( just listen "Bad" or "Promenade" ) and on tour was on different moments, because in the same tour Bono usually sounded sometimes extraordinary well and others rough and worse. So, my best moments live Are:

- Loreley 1983, War Tour
- Dortmund 1984, UF Tour
- Bad from Live Aid, 1985
- Amnesty International Tour, 1986
- Chicago 1987, Joshua Tree Tour
- Rotterdam 1990, Lovetown Tour
- Dublin 1993, Zoo TV Tour

after that, during Pop Mart and Elevation Tour his voice clearly dimished his range, giving more tentative and hoarse versions :(

Now his voice is not so different than "All That You Can´t Live Behind", maybe a bit better, but his tone and sharp is the same. I don´t think his voice is better than "Zooropa" times :(

I´m sure this album will show a little bit better Bono, but by no way he´s back to Joshua Tree nor Rattle & Hum times :banghead:

He sounds awesome!! I don't think there's a comparison to any other albums this is definately special and unique!

I agree with stars and one4u2 - BON'S VOICE IS JUST FINE! :wink:

Either you can like it and accept it for what is is (one of the most distinctive voices in music) or not. Bono's voice is what it is - so just ACCEPT BONO AS HE IS. :hug:

Remember, his is the voice that's been connecting milllions of people around the world for nearly 25 years with their deepest emotions, so Bono's voice can't be too bad.

Let's just get ready to enjoy the U2 ride of a lifetime! :angel:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila...I've just got to hang out with you sometime this tour. You rock! ;)

I always find it so amazing how everyone is always on and on about Bono's voice....why don't we talk about Edge's guitar work and everyone else while we're at it?! Cause it's silly...Bono has touched millions with his song, this girl included....He's fine, he's better than fine he's amazing.

Bono's voice is still great now and his singing style (phrasing, diction, clarity of words) is at its best. But vocally, he is past his prime which was way back on the Joshua Tree.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom