Bono's lyrical flubs (Contributions for the next Survivor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
I know lyrical discussions are normally moved, but I'd like to request that this thread remain here in EYKIW as it relates to the next Survivor competition.

Our next Survivor will be a contest to find Bono's greatest lyrical flub! So we need your contributions! Have you heard Bono make a mistake and supremely mess up a lyric? Have you heard him change the lyrics of a song to something totally bizarre or hilarious, or forget the lyrics and sing them out of order, or some other complete lyrical flub? If you have, please contribute them here. The more, the better!

Make sure you specify the song Bono stuffed up, and preferably the date too.

Thank you! :wave:

There's the legendary "Pride (In the Name of Love)" lyric flub:

"Early morning, April 4" (MLK died in the afternoon, not early morning)

Not sure if this makes the cut for the Survivor competition though, as it's included on the official studio release. I'll leave that up to you.

Nice contest topic by the way!

Sunday Bloody Sunday- Bono singing the 3rd verse in place of the 2nd verse at the Slane 2001 concert

Sunday Bloody Sunday- Bono just butchering the "Broken bottles under children's feet" line during the acoustic version of the song at the Clinton Library ceremony into something unintelligble

City of Blinding Lights- on various occasions, Bono begins the song with the outro line "The more the know, the less you feel," instead of "The more you see, the less you know"

Stay (Faraway, So Close)- 2001, 2nd Jersey show, Bono starts singing the 1st verse again in place of the 2nd verse- 2 lines in, he realizes his mistake and takes a pause to laugh it off, then sings the 2nd verse

Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of- Pittsburgh 10/22/05- Bono forgets the "I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall It's a long way down to nothing at all" part of the song, sort of mumbles, makes Edge stop during the song, goes over to him to get the lyrics, and then repeats the middle 8

Party Girl- New York 10/14/05- Throughout the entire song, Bono forgets to sing the "Oh no, not me" portion of the "And he/she won't tell me his/her name" lyric at the end of the verses, thus beginning the next verse way too early and throwing off the Edge's guitar playing and singing

Last edited:
September 20th- Chicago - Walk On

Yay! I get to be the first one to say this:)

Bono forgot how the outtro to Walk On goes, and everyone was singing something on repeat, in the audience and the band kept playing the same thing , then Bono finally walked up to the mic and said, "You know the words, wish I did." To which he was given a lyric sheet and sang the rest of the song off of this sheet

Queen Bee said:

For the record, I was joking when I suggested it a couple of months ago :uhoh:

I know, but it sure makes for a different Survivor. :drool:

And after all, during both of the previous competitions, people have complained that we need something completely different, and this is!

this idea really has no basis of discussion though

we all like to argue and vote over different songs and albums because they are near and dear to our hearts

but who the hell really cares about bonos flubs?

what douchebag is going to argue that bono singing the wrong line in pride is like omg so much better than him singing the wrong line in the fly...

imo its pretty pointless

/\ :madspit:
:wink:

personally i vote for Fast Cars, Boston 12/04...
i think he only got 3 lines RIGHT in the whole song - verse 2 was half of verse 1 plus some other random words and other parts were jsut line after line of phonetic sounds.
and he tried to ask Edge and the audience what the lyrics were!
surely it doens't get worse than that!

Chizip said:
this idea really has no basis of discussion though

we all like to argue and vote over different songs and albums because they are near and dear to our hearts

but who the hell really cares about bonos flubs?

what douchebag is going to argue that bono singing the wrong line in pride is like omg so much better than him singing the wrong line in the fly...

imo its pretty pointless

It's pretty funny if you ask me, as long as we get some good lines.

Chizip said:

Exactly... who could argue about this?

that is why I like the idea... enough of the arguing already, the U2 community has been so divided. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a productive, mind-opening argument, but now I support having a lighthearted "Bono flub fun fest." :happy:

uhh, i think it was 9/21/05... he was singing a snippit "If you want my body and you think I'm sexy
come on honey tell me so, If you really need me...somethin, somethin" then he laughed it off.

er, somthin like that....

:|

ok.. at least I thought it was funny at the time....

:(

:wink:

they sparkle as the boys play rock and roll omg he sayz that in concert instead of twinkle and it makes me so mad!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: this better win!:mad: :mad:

StlElevation said:
they sparkle as the boys play rock and roll omg he sayz that in concert instead of twinkle and it makes me so mad!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: this better win!:mad: :mad:

Personally, from the first time I heard "Sparkle" instead of "twinkle", I preferred it! Twinkle makes me cringe....

Who decided that this would be the next survivor? In the past everyone would be able to have a say in it by posting in a thread dedidcated to discussion about what the next survivor subject would be. But this time you just come and announce what it will be? What gives?

The idea will make for an unexciting and uneventful survivor.

Ax, let there be more debate about this instead of just announcing something.

Bono never seems to get all the "ations" in Bad... seems he likes isolation alot and sticks with it. :wink:

Will that work? :lol:

I'd like it if it was a Best Performance by Each Band Member survivor type thingie. Like say we start with Larry and you do each album and people pick which song he drums best on. But if u did it for each it would take forever, so maybe change it to just an album a day and then that would be 11 survivors for each member and then the 12th to decide which song they do best on. It would also give you an excuse to push Heartland as Bono's best vocal. :wink:

I like that you're making a new survivor, but I do agree the subject may be a little iffy. Most people probably wouldn't know them unless they have all the bootlegs. :shrug: I dunno, don't listen to me. Just pitching ideas.

U2bpbear24 said:
uhh, i think it was 9/21/05... he was singing a snippit "If you want my body and you think I'm sexy
come on honey tell me so, If you really need me...somethin, somethin" then he laughed it off.

:drool: :drool:
ROD STEWART!
For the record its:

If you want my body
and you think I'm sexy
come on sugar let me know
If you really need me
just reach out and touch me
come on honey tell me so!

catlhere said:
I'd like it if it was a Best Performance by Each Band Member survivor type thingie. Like say we start with Larry and you do each album and people pick which song he drums best on. But if u did it for each it would take forever, so maybe change it to just an album a day and then that would be 11 survivors for each member and then the 12th to decide which song they do best on. It would also give you an excuse to push Heartland as Bono's best vocal. :wink:

I like that you're making a new survivor, but I do agree the subject may be a little iffy. Most people probably wouldn't know them unless they have all the bootlegs. :shrug: I dunno, don't listen to me. Just pitching ideas.

I like this idea. :up:

It's novel and it doesn't suck, unlike most of the other Survivor suggestions I've seen.

It's impossible to make you people happy, isn't it?

Well, fine, I'm not running any more Survivors. Look what your complaining's done. Go run your own Survivors if you're not happy with what's happening.

Just an idea, mate. :wink:

It's actually music-related, could bring up some interesting debate, and it would probably be easier to organize. I mean, I'm sure Bono's messed up lyrics more times than we can count. I just think that it'd be easier to do something like best performance rather than something like best flub. Just an idea, though.

*Edited for redundancy.

Last edited:
The last two competitions both had plenty of complaining, and now look what's happening on this thread. Frankly, I'm sick of it - it's just a game, but people complain and complain and complain.

Someone else can handle the complaining. I'll put myself down on the list of "people who won't run Survivor any more".

well this is a pretty bad idea for survivor so you really couldnt have expected positive reactions for this.

favorite song when edge breaks a string should be next.

StlElevation said:
well this is a pretty bad idea for survivor so you really couldnt have expected positive reactions for this.

Go fuck yourself.

Back
Top Bottom