Bono's Inspiration From The Fly To Popmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I think you're on to something...
biggrin.gif

EDIT: whoops... I didnt mean to use a crying smilie...

------------------
And I felt like a star...

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 03-26-2002).]

Chris...don?t get me wrong but...did you have some of those Edge?s mushrooms?
biggrin.gif

Well, I supposed that a well-known devoted fan, a poet like you, is allowed to post silly threads once in a while
wink.gif

One must watch out for those drive-thru workers...

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Leaving just in time, stay there for a while... Rolling in the ocean, trying to catch her eye..."

She is the dreamer, she's imagination

"If you give me half a chance I'll prove this to you
I will be patient, kind, faithful and true
To a man who loves music, a man who loves art
Respects the spirit world and thinks with his heart"

I promise you Maria that I didn't eat any of the Edge's mushrooms...I guess I was just in a silly mood today.

Desire4Bono, I've read that The Fly was a stage persona that glorified those rock stars of the past who saw themselves as the epitomy of rock and roll gods, and definitely Elvis and Jim Morrison fit that mold, and if Bono was to play the ultimate rockstar, then who else could pull that off then Bono, even though it shocked many, because people had gotten used to Bono wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Some say that Bono was trying to lighten up from the critics perception of him in the 80's as a rockstar who took himself to seriously, as well as the band. The Fly fits in well with the ambiguity, and contradictions we find in Achtung Baby, were we also saw The Mirrorball Man and MacPhisto take their place as well in mocking the very things U2 believed in, and made us look at things not for what they seemed from the outside, but truly look at the heart and core of what they believed in in love, life, and God.

I loved the whole Achtung Baby era, and it will go down in U2 history, as one of the most artistic endeavors that the band pulled off, because the music was so damn good, and many of their fans just saw that maybe U2 had lightened up, or maybe they fooled us all, and really became even more serious in the issues they addressed, but simply wrapped them around the Fly shades of Bono, and we all got lost in those personas. However, if you look back at that period betweet late 1992 and all of 1993, you would see some heavy and dark issues that U2 choose to address such as the war in Sarajevo, as well at their association with Salmon Rushdie. Once again, Bono and the band pushed us to the edge of darkness and saw the human condition, as well as staying true to their artistic altruism, that challenged their fans to go on this reality ride wrapped up in all the glamour and glitz that was ZooTV, but with some heavy dose of reality mixed in for the pleasure of both sight and sound...

It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest.
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief.
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

They sure did cover all that that the songs says and more...long live The Fly, long live ZooTV...we finally got it, I think!

Chris

These startling photos just may bring light as to where Bono found inspiration from The Fly and MacPhisto to the overthetopness of the spectacular Popmart...first Bono's transformational inspiration...
glasses2.jpg
How Bono possibly may have transitioned from The Fly...

bono_023.jpg
...to the Popmart look...

bo-ab48.jpg
...could this guy be responsible for inspiring Bono to change his look...hmmm

Need more proof...From MacPhisto to Popmart

maclemon.jpg
..."what do we have here, what is that you say, have U2 come out of a giant lemon on the next tour, a devilish idea that almost makes sense..."

lemonback.jpg
...Boom cha....

band03.jpg
...You're looking for the one, but you know you're somewhere else instead... you want to be the song, be the song that you hear in your head.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 03-26-2002).]

wow, now you spoke like that Chris I know, LOL...and the one I learned to love. I think I should apologise for my last post, shouldn?t I?
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom