bono's falsetto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i absolutely love bono's falsetto. i'm not thinking too hard right now cuz i'm tired, but it seems to me that he really only used this during the AB, Zooropa era. i can think of the songs, One, So Cruel, Lemon, Numb. Can anyone else think of some other examples for me

From Zoo TV, Can't Help Falling In Love. Listen to the version from Dublin (I don't know the date off the top of my head, I think it might be August 1993?) - it doesn't get any better than this.

The voice of an angel on earth, it's simply amazing.

Satellite of Love! I love the way he sings it.

Also, when he did Velvet Dress with Jools Holland (though honestly, I'm not fussed about that bit of it) - overall it's a cracking version though.

Cheers ~Ultra

I personally love Bono's Ahh-Ooooohhh's on the Zooropa album. You can hear it in Lemon, Stay, the First Time. Beaut.

His falsetto's are also dreamworthy

Hi Tomer, you mean you're not fussed about it, or you would like a definition of what a 'falsetto' is?

For anyone who does, it's a little wooden thing with pipes sticking out ... :eeklaugh:

Only kiddin'! ~Ultra :wink:

dream theater's lead singer james labrie, who has a wonder high voice, appreciates bono's falsetto because he says that bono don't uses it when not reaching higher notes, but to make the song stronger and beautiful..........so if a master like james labrie makes such a comment, then :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dreamy, yes

Satellite of Love and Can't Help Falling in Love are great falsettos. Lemon is of course an all-time favorite. It just works musically, and it rules. Oh, Numb is brilliant too.

A falsetto? It's a muscial term for an artifical voice used for signing high notes, usually by men. So, when Bono is signing in a higher key or higher notes (like he is in most of Lemen), he's signing in a falsetto voice.

It's hard to define a falsetto. Did that make any sense at all?

ylimeU2 said:
A falsetto? It's a muscial term for an artifical voice used for signing high notes, usually by men. So, when Bono is signing in a higher key or higher notes (like he is in most of Lemen), he's signing in a falsetto voice.

It's hard to define a falsetto. Did that make any sense at all?

t's not so simple as you can think, many sing for instance with a squeaking voice, and they believe it's falsetto but it isn't at all, it's all a diaphragm question, has nothing to do with the throat, normally.it is used by man and woman, especially by sopranos, the ones who use falsetto to reach the high notes are just the ones who can not sing and begin to squeak like ducks, falsetto is a pure art

babyman said:

t's not so simple as you can think, many sing for instance with a squeaking voice, and they believe it's falsetto but it isn't at all, it's all a diaphragm question, has nothing to do with the throat, normally.it is used by man and woman, especially by sopranos, the ones who use falsetto to reach the high notes are just the ones who can not sing and begin to squeak like ducks, falsetto is a pure art

More proof that Bono simply kicks some serious ass! ;hert:

Tomer said:
i still dont know what it is people

Falsetto is a really high male voice (not "high" like screaming Bono 80's notes) for males, the best example is Lemon - the first two verses or so are falsetto.

Bono used falsetto in the late 80's, for example With or without you, after the "ooh ooh ooh" screams you can hear two brief falsetto bits. Mothers of the dissapeared, there is a beautiful brief falsetto towards the end "see their TEARS in the rainfall", there is more falsetto bits on Rattle and Hum ("you never looked like an ANgel" in Angel of Harlem, towards the end of Love rescue me - in between the "I'm standing without a name in the palace of my shame" shouting there are short falsetto bits. "In this HEARTland" chorus is also falsetto, and that song has IMO the most beautiful Bono falsetto right at the end) I think the bits in In a little while could also count as falsetto, and a tiny one in Kite I think ("a man WHO sees the shadow behind your eyes") and another tiny bit in Walk on (right at the end at the piano notes, before the "leave it behind, you've got to leave it behind" line) and Beautiful day (the second "teach me" part where he drags the line "RE-HEE-EACH me, I know I'm not a hopeless case")

I put the falsetto sounds in capital letters so you can notice them as you listen to the songs.

(I'm not sure if single sounds count as falsetto or does it have to be singing words, like Lemon)

Last edited:
im leaving this thread due to no falsetoo knowledge at all

Back
Top Bottom