Bono's Best Era... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Bono's Best Era...

What'll it be?

78-82/83 - "I may sound nasal but I got potential!"

84-89 - "Holy shit I can sing high, hopefully I'm not destroying my vocal cords!"

90-96 - "Ah fuck... these cigarettes are getting to me. Better work on the falsetto!"

or
97-present - "Well, I may have lost the high end of my voice but dammnit, I got soul!"

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Old 02-21-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
What'll it be?

78-82/83 - "I may sound nasal but I got potential!"

84-89 - "Holy shit I can sing high, hopefully I'm not destroying my vocal cords!"

90-96 - "Ah fuck... these cigarettes are getting to me. Better work on the falsetto!"

or
97-present - "Well, I may have lost the high end of my voice but dammnit, I got soul!"

CK says...

"Holy shit I can sing high, hopefully I'm not destroying my vocal cords!"

Great twist on an old post!

CK

Old 02-21-2002, 04:16 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:

Even though I don't rank ATYCLB as my favorite U2 album, I've got to go with Bono present day 'cause the live experience is more powerful than ever. For studio Bono I'd go with Achtung Baby.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:53 AM   #4
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 07:51 PM
ATYCLB: cant sing but Ive got soul

the goal is soul

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01
Old 02-21-2002, 06:19 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:51 AM
i read that title as "Bono's best bra"

i need a drink
Old 02-21-2002, 07:47 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I disagree a bit with the '97-present summary. Maybe this was true for "Pop" and the PopMart tour, but not with ATYCLB, MDH and the Elevation tour.

The way Bono belted "only looo-ooove" in "Ground Beneath Her Feet" or the operatic burst in "Wild Honey" or the powerful "I'm a maaaaa-aaan" in "Kite" proves that Bono can still sing high.

And I admit, sometimes Bono's vocals are scratchy live, however, I have several boots that show his voice to be even BETTER than it was during the JT and AB eras! Even the Boston DVD shows his vocals to be very strong.

In other words, I don't think he's lost the high end of his voice at all - yet. Maybe another album or tour or two and that'll be that.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:11 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:51 PM
This era.

------------------
You can tear it up
If you can tie me down
Old 02-21-2002, 09:32 AM   #8
*Stormy*

I agree with Doctorwho. There is a big difference between POPMART and now! He has truly gotten his voice back. I was there when I heard him hit those 'wiiideeee awaaakes!' His voice may be different from when he was young, but I love it. It's so sad and sweet and has a loveable quality.

I think my favorite ever was when he sang Red Hill Mining Town and hit that "Looooove, slowly stripped away...." ah. That will live forever, we have the CDs even if he never hits it again. But like I said he sounds just fine now.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 02-21-2002).]

Old 02-21-2002, 10:12 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I really loved JT-era Bono. Great voice. Cool hair.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 02-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #10
*Stormy*

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
I really loved JT-era Bono. Great voice. Cool hair.

Melon

Yeah me too. Ever notice, the longer his hair, the stronger his voice?

Old 02-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:51 PM
I don't think you can say one of his era's is necessarily better than another, especially since he does have a different voice and sound in each era, and I know he always has soul (even if he's too humble to agree with me.)

I guess you can say which one you prefer- but I wouldn't agree with necessarily pitching one era against the other since he has different strengths in different stages.

although .. lol you can ammend the first era by quote Bono: "I sounded like a girl" .. he changed that during AchtungBaby to: "at least now she's an attractive girl" haha

------------------
Every reason that's not enough
Is falling, falling at your feet

High..Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini
Old 02-21-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
Elvis' Naughty Angel

All love all Bono's, but I'd have to say that the 'Rattle & Hum' and 'ATYCLB' era's are tied for me.
His ability to sing is still very strong.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:43 AM   #13
Acrobat

As far as sheer vocal power goes, I think Bono was at his peak with the Unforgettable Fire. Just look at the recording session for Pride on the video for the song. No one could belt a tune like that before in Rock & Roll. As far as passion & nuance goes, I think he is better than ever. BD, WO, Ground for example. He definitely knows how to the strengths & limitations in his voice. No, he can't belt out Bad like he used to, but he still can put it across.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:53 AM   #14
The Fly

I like the present era most. Just listen to IALW and you'll know why

------------------
Take the money and run
Old 02-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #15
The Fly

I'd have to say my favorite era is '90-'96. I think his voice had something then that it never had before or after. The way he sang live on the ZooTV tour is just phenominal. The way he can hit those high notes on Achtung Baby and Zooropa is amazing as well. I think his singing just took on a whole new persona at that point and it made him sound out of this world.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO
Old 02-21-2002, 01:35 PM   #16
The Fly

If I had to choose, my personal favorite era would be 90-96, because I think Bono's voice combined the power of his 80's vocals with a new stratospheric falsetto. Bono's falsetto on songs like Satellite of Love, Can't Help Falling in Love and parts of other songs is really quite incredible. Also, the Zooropa version of Lemon is without precedent for Bono. Bono still could hit the high notes in Bad, as well. The key difference between his vocals during this period and that of the 80s, other than the falsetto, was that Bono didn't always go for the full force wail. He tempered those notes with the falsetto, while still demonstrating that he could more than adequately use his 80's scream. Great combo.

karl
Old 02-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #17
Refugee

the 90's is my favourite Bono era. I really miss that falsetto.

------------------
'Closer than ever to everybody's wife'
Old 02-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #18
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
I love AB and ATYCLB but I have to say he had the best vocal range in the mid to late 80's, UF and JT.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:20 AM   #19
Refugee

It is hard for me to decide. I think that his voice was incredible during the JT era. I was listening to the Rock's Hottest Ticket boot yesterday and I kept thinking how sad it was that I missed seeing him live at his peak. It seems like his voice never faltered then, and that he could reach any potential octave.

On the other hand, there is so much soul behind the band right now. Bono is really singing with a lot of passion. I think that Bono has finally 'found what he is looking for' and he is singing with that feeling behind him!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"
Old 02-22-2002, 12:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
What'll it be?

It's a tie for me. They were both my favorite eras in different ways. The JT period because of how he had expanded his range and the AB period because of the delivery.

Although, I agree w/ Melon, JT era yielded the coolest hair.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.