bono's band intros during elevation shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
yes, yes, we all know that adam has the biggest instrument. but edge was often described as a 'card carrying preysbitrian' (spelling?)
now is this a religion? what exactly would bono mean by this? i assume it's said tounge-in-cheek like all the other descriptions, but what does the word even mean? i thought it was religion, and it seems weird that bono would single out his religion in front of 20,000

Presbyterian is a denomination of Protestant Christianity.

Edge's parents were (are) Presbyterian, I believe.

It's the complete opposite of Catholicism: absolutely no bells and smells, as they say. There's no real church hierarchy, just an emphasis on Bible study and direct communication with God, without priests as intermediaries. A really plain, unvarnished religion.

biff said:
Edge's parents were (are) Presbyterian, I believe.

It's the complete opposite of Catholicism: absolutely no bells and smells, as they say. There's no real church hierarchy, just an emphasis on Bible study and direct communication with God, without priests as intermediaries. A really plain, unvarnished religion.

Which would tie in to comments Bono made a few times about Edge finding "Catholicism to be too much glam rock."

U2girl said:
Interesting, I thought they were all Catholics.

Remember back in the early days, Bono, Edge, and Larry belonged to Shalom. That wasn't Catholic.

Larry was the only one who was raised Catholic. The others were Protestants (Ali as well). It's significant that they all met at Mount Temple High School, which at the time was the only non-denominational, co-educational high school in Dublin.

Sweet! I'm a Presbyterian too!.....well, perhaps a lapsed Presbyterian. Back when I was a regular church-goer, it seemed as if our church didn't celebrate God as much as it did bake sales.

Back
Top Bottom