Bono's appearance on Oprah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kildare

The Fly
I was just watching Bono's appearance on Oprah from 2002 on my computer. Does anyone remember when Bono was talking about how he only truly feels comfortable as a rock star when he's "in the song" on stage, and that other aspects of being a rock star he isn't so "natural" at? I ask because when Oprah was a little surprised at this, he said, "Well, maybe if you'd seen me throwing up in the back before I came out here..." and he didn't seem to be kidding. Oprah then asked "Really? Even after all this time?" and he said "Oh, yeah."

Maybe it's a minor issue, but I found this really interesting (maybe it's just me) - Do you think he was just exaggerating, or does Bono actually get nervous before public appearances to the point of throwing up?

Oh yeah, I wanted to add - considering his two jobs (biggest rock star in the world and international political activist), that's a lot of nerves/throwing up for Bono.

He said the same thing on VH1 all access back in '05. Maybe he actually does have that problem. :shrug:

Canadiens1160 said:
Eating disorder?

Shouldn't this be in PLEBA?

This was a stupid insensitive comment.

There are a lot of people who get nervous before
public appearances and throw up before taking the
spotlight. Why should Bono be any different, IF
he has done this.

Carek1230 said:

This was a stupid insensitive comment.

There are a lot of people who get nervous before
public appearances and throw up before taking the
spotlight. Why should Bono be any different, IF
he has done this.

What was stupid or insensitive about it? He's just pointing out that something like this probably belongs in PLEBA, as it has stuff all to do with U2's music.

This thread reminds me of a section in the book 'Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas'. In it he mentions that at some of the times he looks most confident, for example when he smirks, is actually when he is very uncomfortable. He also mentions that when U2 played the Superbowl halftime there was a time in the beginning of their show that he thought he might have earphone problems and the show was live. He said that by looking at the tape now he looks so confident swaggering to the stage with "the most annoying smirk you have ever scene" but that inside he was quietly panicking. You would never know it to look at him!! :(

Back
Top Bottom