Bono yells at someone. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
I have a bootleg of the 10/1/89 concert concert at the Osaka Castle Hall in Japan, and during the band's cover of "People Get Ready" Bono tears into one of the front-row audience members, saying, "Listen guy: One more piece of shit out of you and you're out of here. I don't care if you paid the front row...I'm telling you, I'm telling him...leave him for one more, and he's fucking out of here." Can anyone shed some light on what the heck was going on there?

I think the guy was pushing other people around. Bono says before the song that "at a U2 concert people do not push each other around. I dont care if you paid for the front row, or the back row, we're all the same in here, including the band. The only difference is that you all made us all very rich"

Bono did something similar on the Sydney ZOO TV video too. I think it was during Until the End of the World, and it almost seems as if he's threatening to bite someone in the front row! That gave me a shock the first time I saw it! He certainly gets his temper up at times when he's on stage!

he did a lot worse during Springhill Mining Disaster in Dublin 87.
Just as the song is climaxing, Bono Yells "Stop it, Stop it, Bring him back here", Bring him back here, now if he's misbehaving, throw him out, but throw him out gently, If he's not misbehaving , he's ok, leave him in hear" Bono then starts singing again and the band get back into it. Sadly this was during one of Bono's most extraordinary vocal moments ever in a most unlikely song...he just stopped and yelled at the security guys.
Fortunatly the crowd was cheering Bono during this.

This was from the concert on 27th June 87

kiwilad said:
Bono did something similar on the Sydney ZOO TV video too. I think it was during Until the End of the World, and it almost seems as if he's threatening to bite someone in the front row! That gave me a shock the first time I saw it! He certainly gets his temper up at times when he's on stage!

:lol: Aww... that wasn't his temper there.. he was just being dramatic and trying to "challenge" the audience. :)

On the Boston DVD, some jerk throws something at Bono, narrowly missing his left eye, and receives a two-finger salute in return.

What is it with these audience bozos? How'd they like it if they were up on stage, performing their hearts out, and some creep threw something at them?! :mad:

I've never been to a concert where someone didnt throw something on the stage.

zonelistener said:
He just about punched a guy in Minneapolis...then apoligized....

Well, he shouldn't have apologized! That idiot could have killed Bono! He was crazy. He claimed he wrote the songs on the Joshua Tree and demanded his money! He grabbed Bono in a headlock when he came up into the stands of the GC seats in Minn. Bono HAD to punch the guy to free himself. Security took the psycho away. He was no young guy either. I've seen the pic of this. He was an older guy, balding, grey hair, old man style glasses.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the the Mexico Popmart concert, like in Until the End of the World (I think) when he's in the crowd and he's coming out, he looks pissed, like yelling at someone and ready to punch him out. Or is he just excited?? Has anyone notice that?

Sue DeNym said:
On the Boston DVD, some jerk throws something at Bono, narrowly missing his left eye, and receives a two-finger salute in return.

Which song is this on? I think I remember when someone threw something. But who gave the two-finger salute? Bono or the "fan"?

In response to Bunbury, wasn't that when the asshole wouldn't quit shining laser pointers in his eyes and he told him to f off?

bonocrazy88 said:

Which song is this on? I think I remember when someone threw something. But who gave the two-finger salute? Bono or the "fan"?

Bono of course. The two finger salute is the Irish bird, a backwards peace sign which means the same as the American "finger." I have seen a still of this somewhere. I love the look on Bono's face!

Bunbury said:
Has anyone seen the the Mexico Popmart concert, like in Until the End of the World (I think) when he's in the crowd and he's coming out, he looks pissed, like yelling at someone and ready to punch him out. Or is he just excited?? Has anyone notice that?

I think I read somewhere that an audience member kept aiming a laser pointer at him.

u2sangel said:
Bono has been known to do this at other shows too I for one am glad he is paying attention to what is going on in the audience!

No kidding. I've been to so many shows where the band couldn't care less who is getting pounded on. :mad:

Bono is cool. I'd pay good money to see him punch out a jerk. :up:

bonocrazy88 said:

The beginning of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Bono is standing at the mike, suddenly dodges to his right and a small white object sails through the air right where his left eye was a second ago. Bono then gives a dirty look and the two finger salute (the "get stuffed" sign) to the thrower.

u2popmofo said:

I've never been to a concert where someone didnt throw something on the stage.

Yes, I do realize that a lot of things get thrown on stage. That doesn't make it right. Seriously, think about it. You've been rehearsing for months, you've got the show down perfect, you're performing your heart out for thousands of people, and some butthead throws some piece of litter at you! How would that make you feel? Doesn't matter if you're a singer, actor, comedian, any stage performer, it's not fun to have things thrown at you, it could posssibly injure you, it messes up your concentration and ruins the show for everyone else. Not to mention, it's very bad manners and very immature on the thrower's part. :down:

Some audience members seem to be such morons. I wouldn't blame Bono if he punched someone for throwing something at him. Don't people realise how dangerous throwing an object on stage can be?

Also, on the UABRS video, it appears there is some guy in the front who is hassling Bono, like he keeps on trying to grab the mike, and then during I Will Follow, some lunatic runs on stage. But Bono hardly seems to notice it and just keeps on performing ...

This is just Bono being Bono.

The same guy who wears $400 sunglasses while kids in Africa die of poverty and AIDS. Imagne if all the Bonos of the world just wore a $10 sunglasses and donated the $390 to Africa. Materialism always gets the better of us and Bono is no exclusion.

This is the same guy who during the promotional tours for ATYCLB openly dissed manufactured pop acts and boybands, and thereafter kissing their arses just to get them to sing on his What's Going On project. Not to mention he still has an upcoming duet with J.Lo coming up.

This is the same guy who said in his concerts that everyone is equal including the band yet he treats the audience with yells and punches and other obscene gestures.

So I am not surprised at all about Bono's antics.

After all, Bono is the songwriting genius who wrote prophetic lyrics like "I don't believe in riches but you should see where I live" (God Part II) and "Your lips say one thing but your movements something else" (So Cruel). How true Bono, how true!

Cheers,

J

not again

:mad:

That same guy also helped getting 15 billion US dollars from US Congress for fighting AIDS, (I'd say that's way more than he could ever give out on his own, considering U2's profit is divided in five parts) and same guy who helped one third of the Third world debt erased (about 200 million pounds), not to mention countless other charity stuff he did.

What's going on was done for a good cause, why should it be so important who he recorded it with?
(I think all of his yelling and punches to the audience were always done for a good reason, like we've seen in this thread)

Also, why does the fact he's rich and famous automatically destroy his credibility when it comes to his "outside U2" work? He could just as easy be doing none of it and living the more "traditional" rock star lifestyle with drinking and drugs. At least he tries, which is more than can be said for many people.

You can't prove he didn't donate money or things to charity on his own so maybe you should stop accusing him of being a fake. (believe it or not, he fully realizes people don't take him seriously because of his status)

Last edited:
Leeloo said:

Well, he shouldn't have apologized! That idiot could have killed Bono! He was crazy. He claimed he wrote the songs on the Joshua Tree and demanded his money! He grabbed Bono in a headlock when he came up into the stands of the GC seats in Minn. Bono HAD to punch the guy to free himself. Security took the psycho away. He was no young guy either. I've seen the pic of this. He was an older guy, balding, grey hair, old man style glasses.
Poor Paul McGuinness...I thought the band paid him pretty handsomely for his services.:scratch: :shrug: :hmm: :D

Chris

After hearing Bono get mad on bootlegs from way back and watching vhs concerts where he loses it, I would always laugh and be amazed at how he can fly in to a rage so quickly. :lmao:

Then, I finally witnessed his temper live at one of the Elevation concerts I was at. Lets just say it didn't make me laugh :eek: , not at the time anyway, all I could think was Holy :censored: I wouldn't want him to be mad at me!

I can totally relate though because I have red hair and an Irish temper. :D

Back
Top Bottom