Bono with two fingers and the "f**k you" in Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I read British (ex) Prime Minister Winston Churchill was the first to have used the "V" sign - "palm way" as in "victory" during WW II. Since then, it has always meant victory. That's the only way i saw Bono do it too!

But i think if the knuckles show, (like Liam Gallagher from Oasis does it), it means "up yours" or something like that.

Am i misinformed?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-08-2001).]

Ok the ppl in the U.K and Ireland must only do that, I remmeber being told in History about 3 years ago that during the war the British cut off those 2 fingers of other soldiers and then they gave them the V sign as a meaning as "up yours" or "F**k off"

Well over in Belfast we dont do it that much, I think that custom is growing old...

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare

miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)

which song does he do this on the dvd?

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

yg46768.jpg

From a web page (sorry, I couldn't find a news story...)
http://www.geocities.com/presfacts/bush.html

After telling the press he was an expert in hand gestures, George Bush gave the "V-for-Victory" sign as he drove in his armored limousine past demonstrators in Canberra, Australia's capital in January 1992. In Australia, holding up two fingers to form a "V" has the same vulgar meaning as the middle-finger gesture in the United States. The Aussie demonstrators were very mad, and they signaled in the same manner back at the U.S. President. Bush later apologized.

thanks, bono-vox...

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

it started during the hundred years war....something about the brits or the french cutting off fingers of opposing soldiers

Originally posted by Arun V:
it started during the hundred years war....something about the brits or the french cutting off fingers of opposing soldiers

Ok so it was during the war when the french tried to cut off the English ppls fingers the English would tease them by masking the "v" sign.....apparently

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare

miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)

you are all right. The "V" sign palm outwards is for Victory or Peace (man!) and knuckles outwards is fuck off. The one finger salute from the USA is just as common over here as is the two finger sign!
bloody yanks are creeping into our culture again! As the Brits said about the yanks in WW2..

over here...
over sexed...
and over paid!

LOL!

Is this some sort of insult in the British Isles? Usually here if you wanna do a rude gesture, you'd of course use the middle finger stuck up. I'm a little confused, cause I'm used to the 'V' meaning "peace".

------------------
Change is the only constant

I believe it's the euro's way of doing the "bird". If you're showing the knuckles to the people...it's fuck off....if it's the palm way, it's "peace".

that's the way I've looked at it.

U know when you stick one finger up? Well if two are facing that way it means fuck off but if they face the other way they make the peace symbol. It must be a British thing. I didn't know it was only over here that it happens. Hope this helps
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by UV2001 (edited 12-08-2001).]

Bono explained it recently on Jay Leno, I believe. Some story about a battle and the "V" meaning Victory.. it was a rather involved explanation that I cannot recall right now.

It is the British way of saying Fuck You.

The "V" sign was actually a British thing.

During the days of battling with the French, when the French captured a British soldier they would chop off the index and middle finger to ensure the soldier could never use a bow and arrow again.

The Brits would therefore give the "V" sign to the French with it meaning..."I still have my fingers"

Well, thats what I was told one time and it sounds like a nice little tale doesnt it
biggrin.gif

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

thanks for the enlightenment..I got one half of it..you apprantly got the other lol

Back
Top Bottom