Bono - Will We Ever See The Likes Of Him Again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is the greatest frontman in music (not being just a fan here)

Again ,this is only Your opinion , It's not a fact, you know the difference right? and then he says i'm not being objective.

"He is saving the world, and by saving the world i mean that he HAS saved a lot of lives in Africa, and a lot of lives will be saved from his effort (This is no enthusiastic)"

He's done all these good things , he saved lives in africa but this is only the beggining, there is a long way to go, it will take many many years. You need to do more than that , then you can say you are saving the world , sad but true. imo.

And what can you say about Peru and other Latin American Countries...

have you ever heard of the word "globalization" before? we are not and island, smartass ,people here can be informed to. Why the heck do you think we have internet , and cable tv for? And don't tell me only "rich people" have access.

en este pobre pais con respecto a su grandeza como artista en el mundo."

Que mentalidad, espero que no tengas un concepto parecido de ti un "sudamericano" con respecto a la gente del primer mundo. Because it's enough that to them you are just a "sudaca" or a second class immigrant.

"ooohhh, there are some cranky spitfire types in Lima, aren't there?
nah, i'm just playing along with this pathetic guy. Even tough this is one of the lamest conversations i've had here. I don't want to hijack this thread so i apologize."

Y a ti, el unico que necesita madurar eres tu cuando ni siquiera puedes escribir un post sin insultar o tratar de agredir por lo menos una vez. Lo cual no habla muy bien de tu nivel de madurez. Tu credibilidad se va al suelo , si quieres que te tomen en serio esta no es la manera. Las cosas que hay que leer.

Hi!

I don't think one can project into the future {5, 10,20 years from now}..foresight is one thing but trying to analysis whether Bono would have the same impact upon a society say as Johnny Carson did, one cannot truly say.......we can only base it upon what Bono has done already....we don't know where Bono is going in the years ahead {we can only visualize perhaps}.....yes, Bono has been nominated for a Nobel prize.....so yes, he has made an impression....but that would be for Bono the individual rather than Bono's creative and musical endeavors.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Concerning Saracene's post..."U2 don't have the iconic power as, say, Madonna or Beatles".
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MADONNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Beatles, sure, but Madonna, NO WAY.
Madonna is big the way Micheal Jackson is big - for some strange reason she rose to certain heights of success (personally I could never for the life of me understand why). U2 on the other hand, weather you love them or hate them, share a level with the likes of The Beatles, The Who, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, - even if you hate U2 you have to admit they are a "supergroup" - especially after being together 25 years they still sell out stadiums in minutes - not to mention release half decent material. Madonna they are not...Thank God!!!!

There's this kid up my street, named Richard Simpkins, who will certainly fill Bono's shoes when the time comes. So to answer your question, yes, he will be replaced.

... no offense, but this is a ridiculous thread!

Harry Vest said:
Concerning Saracene's post..."U2 don't have the iconic power as, say, Madonna or Beatles".
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MADONNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Beatles, sure, but Madonna, NO WAY.
Madonna is big the way Micheal Jackson is big - for some strange reason she rose to certain heights of success (personally I could never for the life of me understand why).

Whether Madonna deserves her status and fame is an entirely different question. For sure, there has been thousands of better female singers, songwriters, dancers - but I can't think of anyone who was a bigger star than Madonna or who made a bigger impact on popular music.

verte76 said:
No, there's never going to be another Bono. He's a very unique individual. There has never been a rock star like him and there never will be. He's one hell of an amazing human being, no saint or sage, but a truly great guy.

Beautifully said verte. :up: It sents chills down my spine.

Sorry Saracene but a lot of people had a bigger impact on popular music than Madonna

The Beatles
Elvis
U2
Bob Marley
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin

To name a few

Madonna is only the biggest female music STAR ever. Thats it

She maybe a big icon for this, but it has nothing to do with her impact in the music itself

Sure she's had a lot of hits, but she has no masterpiece album or a masterpiece song, only a lot of good and comercial tunes.

i hate to say this but....
i think we're minimizing madonna's impact - if not for her then the modern female popstar would look very different - for better or for worse. women from gwen stafani to britney spears owe her tons and tons... look around and her influence is more apparent than bob marley's (despite his upper hand in song quality).
and she still has a few iconic tunes - like a virgin, borderline, material girl - these songs define a genre and period of music. and i don't care if she doesn't write music - most of those motown guys never wrote a note (with the exceptions of marvin gaye and smokey...). but i digress...
i don't think madonna's INFLUENCE on popular music/culture, as much as i may dislike it (yuck), can be overestimated. influences aren't all good - even hitler had influences.

Reading all of this looking back at how Bono will be thought of in the future is making me :sad: :sad: and giving me shivers!

I hope THAT VERY SAD DAY is a very, very long way off...........

Nube Gris said:
Sorry Saracene but a lot of people had a bigger impact on popular music than Madonna.

I should have clarified that I was talking about -female- artists specifically.

And iconic status often has nothing to do with the actual body of work - how many great films does Marilyn Monroe actually have to her name?

Last edited:
Nube Gris said:
Sorry Saracene but a lot of people had a bigger impact on popular music than Madonna

The Beatles
Elvis
U2
Bob Marley
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no, they haven't. have you listened to what's popular (in america) today? usher, justin timberlake, aguilera, jessica simpson, blah blah blah... i don't hear the influence of the beatles, elvis, u2, marley or led zeppelin. the only one that still does is jacko - possibly after madonna. again, i'll refer you to gwen stefani, et al. there's not a shred of zeppelin or the stones to be found.
if we're gonna talk about POPULAR music, not rock music, that's just the plain truth. i don't like it, but que sera....
i don't like madonna, but she's fucking huge. like saracene says, she's an icon. and get used to the idea of her induction into the rock n' roll hall of fame (for whatever that's worth), because she's definitely going to be there.

Last edited:
dudeman said:
no, they haven't. have you listened to what's popular (in america) today? usher, justin timberlake, aguilera, jessica simpson, blah blah blah... i don't hear the influence of the beatles, elvis, u2, marley or led zeppelin. the only one that still does is jacko - possibly after madonna. again, i'll refer you to gwen stefani, et al. there's not a shred of zeppelin or the stones to be found.

The influence doesn't have to necessarily be musical. One thing people like Elvis and the Beatles and Michael Jackson have done is show that image plays a big part in the music business. So even if people like Usher don't sound squat diddly like any of those artists, the way they present themselves, the images they make for themselves, were something that they learned by watching some of the artists who started it all.

And while some bands out there may not sound like the Stones or the Beatles or U2 or anything like that, any kid who picked up a guitar and tried to learn it was influenced to do so by hearing a certain band, such as the Stones. Even if they wind up sounding nothing like them, they might've been the reason they tried to learn an instrument in the first place.

So yes, their influences may not be very obvious, but they are there.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom