Bono will be happy- Walk On- read this! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Bono will be happy- Walk On- read this!

Myanmar To Release Opposition Leader
Sun May 5, 7:53 PM ET
By NICK CUMMING-BRUCE, Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Myanmar's military junta will release opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest on Monday, Myanmar's ambassador in Washington and a military government spokesman said.

"With regard to Aung San Suu Kyi, I have been informed that she is at liberty to carry out all her activities, including matters concerning her party, as of May 6, 2002," Ambassador Linn Myaing told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The ambassador said he expected she would be free later Monday.

The end of Suu Kyi's detention after 19 months has been widely expected for days following U.N.-brokered negotiations aimed at breaking a political deadlock in Myanmar, also known as Burma.

In Yangon, a spokesman for Myanmar's military junta confirmed that her release was imminent, but gave no details of any reconciliation deal or what her political role would be.

"She can travel. We will sort of cooperate because she is a prominent person. The government is responsible for her security," said spokesman Col. Hla Min said by telephone. "This means there is no condition (on her release), but we will cooperate."

In a written statement released earlier, Hla Min said Monday would mark "a new page for the people of Myanmar and the international community."

The statement did not mention Suu Kyi by name, but said: "We shall recommit ourselves to allowing all of our citizens to participate freely in the life of our political process, while giving priority to national unity, peace and stability of the country as well as the region."

Hla Min said the junta would also continue an earlier process of releasing political detainees, many of them Suu Kyi supporters.

"We have released nearly 600 detainees in recent months and shall continue to release those who will cause no harm to the community," he said.

The comments by the ambassador and the junta spokesman were made just before dawn Myanmar time and there was no immediate physical sign in Yangon that Suu Kyi was about to be free.

Scores of foreign reporters have been keeping a vigil outside the barricaded avenue that leads to Suu Kyi's lakeside villa.

The junta came to power in 1988 after crushing a pro-democracy movement during which Suu Kyi came into prominence.

The government put her under house arrest in 1989 and called general elections in 1990, which were won by her party. However, the junta refused to hand over power.

Suu Kyi, who won the 1991 Nobel Peace prize for her democracy struggle, was released in 1995 but was prohibited from traveling outside Yangon. She was placed under house arrest again in September 2000 after two high-profile attempts to leave the capital, formerly known as Rangoon

However, the two sides began reconciliation talks in October 2000, brokered by U.N. special envoy Razali Ismail, who also predicted major political changes after his latest visit to the country last month.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:58 AM
This is wonderful news

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Old 05-06-2002, 04:14 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Saw it earlier on CNN.
Great news.
Its about making a difference.

DB9
Old 05-06-2002, 07:36 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:58 PM
I was overjoyed by the news!!! I only all the political prisoner will also be released - still great cause for celebration
- Bono will be so pleased

Pamela
Old 05-06-2002, 08:47 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:58 AM
I was happy to see this as well (like duh, who wouldn't be ). However, what I found amazing is that the people elected democratic officials yet those in power wouldn't leave! That was just incredulous to me. Imagaine Bill Clinton saying, "Sorruh, not leaving" or the first George Bush going, "Nope, ain't gonna do it - ain't gonna leave"?!

Complain about the U.S. and other truly democratic governments all you want - but at least we can elect our officials - and, more importantly, they are held accountable for their actions.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:58 AM
This is great news!
Old 05-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Doubly good news
I'm going to a women's gathering tomorrow.I'll take a flower for everyone's hair She is an inspiration.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:09 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 08:58 AM
This is excellent news!!!!!!!

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!