Bono weeping in US flag - what to think of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marko

War Child
I hope I don't get bombed for this, but what the hell...

here goes: first time I read a review from a 3rd leg where it said that during SBS Bono took the US flag, and gently cryed in it, and than returned it back with no pomp or phatetic, I thought "...wow that was great...".
But now in every review I read the same thing - it goes like this: someone, coincidently, hands Bono a flag (always during SBS), and than he gently holds it and cryes in it, and at the end he just hands it back..." Every night the same story.
It was a more than beautifull gesture the first and maybe the second time, but now I think that U2 have great marketing people, and that maybe one of them is the one who hands the flag every night.

Well, that's just the way I feel, please give me the arguments against my point of view - you'll make me happy.

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeours
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

I talked to someone else about this very same gesture. He mentioned that he was talking to someone who had gone to a Stone Temple Pilots concert some time in October. Scott Weiland took someone's American flag, ran around the stage with it, told everyone how great it was and kept it on stage to roaring cheers from the crowd. That's fine and great and all but as my friend said, it was also for cheap crowd reaction.

As Bono proves every show, he doesn't need to run around with it and get cheap cheers from the crowd. It comes from the heart [no pun intended] and because of that, it seems more meaningful each time he does it. I saw two of the NYC shows in October and while some may say it's overly sentimental, it meant alot to me to see him do that after everything our city has gone through. I'm sure it has a similar effect across the country.

As a side note, I think the gesture itself is just another example of why U2 is an amazing band. It doesn't come off as cheap or sensational. It comes off as real and that's what makes it so great.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I mostly agre with you, it's much better than running around with it and waving it like a lunatic - but to me it seems too coreographed and script-like when he does it every night.
It doesen't sound so natural and spontanuous when you read it over and over - it's realy cool only for those who attend only one gig

But remember -- most people at their shows are only attending that one show. Us crazy lunatics that go to 5 or 20 on two different continents are in the minority.

------------------

Yes, BUT my question was: what do you think about it, how do you feel about it knowing that it's done every single night

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeours

For me, it seems too contrived, but I know Bono means well and is sincere.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by Marko:
Yes, BUT my question was: what do you think about it, how do you feel about it knowing that it's done every single night

I like the idea that its done every night. Its another way for Bono to connect with the fans and, as a New Yorker, its nice to know that he continues to acknoledge what happened in this country so we don't forget.

The band has never been one that lets you off easy at a concert. On this tour, its been the names during One, the AIDS crisis in Africa, the images on the screens during "New York" of Trade Center grids. I would be more upset if Bono stopped picking up the flag. It may be contrived for some of us but for me, its a sign that the band hasn't forgotten.

------------------

1- First I want to say that claiming "U2 have great marketing people" and implying that maybe one of them is handing him the flag every night is incorrect. I have read several teary-eyed accounts and pleas for pics from the honest to goodness U2 loving fans whose flags were used and I believe them to be geniune.

2-I think fans started bringing their flags to the shows after hearing about the first one or two and now Bono, knowing they know, feels 'obligated' to do it again and again and feels the fans will be disappointed if he doesn't. Also I'm sure he knows how much it means to the flag's owner. Sure it may not be as spontanious, emotional or heartfelt as the first time he did it but do you really think that matters to the fans who witness it?

3-One thing a lot of people here who see U2's actions like this, and setlists, cute comments, etc. as 'same old' and repeatitive need to realize is that not everyone sees 20 shows or even sits here like us reading accounts of every show. The show most fans get is THEIR show, and Bono and U2 try to make each show special for each fan as if it were their one and only, because for most fans it is!

------------------
~We need new dreams tonight~

[This message has been edited by Autumn454 (edited 11-24-2001).]

At the providence show I got a bit uncomfortable with all the patriotism and USA and flag stuff. But I understand where Bono is coming from, and most of the people respond to it well. If it touches people, thats fine.

And its true that we fans have a unique perspective because we follow ALL the shows via the internet. Most people are unaware that it is done every night, or at least only see it once, which makes the impact of it different.

On the first leg he was getting an Irish flag during SBS every night. Is that any different?

------------------
And I feel like I'm slowly slowly slowly slipping under.

And I feel like I'm holding onto nothing.

ADAM (talking about Elevation):
"I like it, it's very hard to play live...(starts smiling) I don't understand what it's about, it's good."

Yes popkidu2, it's totaly the same.
I think that it's a great gesture, but i think that most of you don't understand what I'm saying - first time I heard it I was realy amazed by the act, but I felt let down when I saw that it's done everynight - it doesen't feel sincere.
Knowing that almost all the people on the gig are seing it for the first time is no comfort for me b/c I KNOW than it's not the first time, and that it's not spontaneous, and that Bono knows that he'll do it before the show even starts.
This makes it a little bit a part of the show and not so much an emotional gesture - and that diminishes it for me...
thanx for your replys, but I have to excuse myself, I have to go out now

bye

thanx for your replys, but I have to excuse myself, I have to go out now

Wait, are you one of those fans that has a life outside of this board? What's that like?
wink.gif

But thanks for bringing this up. Its been an interesting thread that I think I need to stop replying to.

Ah yes.. Going out.. a Great endeavor indeed.. I too will be pursuing that juant in a bit as well.. Might I suggest a Three Wise Men, Done the Real way.. 4.5 ounces of pure ExxxTasy.

~Mullah Omar's Second Eye

I understand the gesture, but it seems so odd after all these years of "There is but one flag, the white flag" and "No more/No war." To see Bono chanting USA and wrapping himself in the stars and stripes (or faux weeping into it) night after night is perhaps a bit much.

I think things changed after the first concert in Notre Dame. One of the things I remember most from that show is Bono's speech, as well as his taking an Irish flag from the crowd during "Bad" and dropping it to the ground as he sang "let it go." That's the Bono I know and expect. I'm certainly willing to give the "new" Bono the benefit of the doubt, however. Afterall, he did write the song "Acrobat."
wink.gif

It really isn't anything new for Bono to repeat himself night after night, whether its the emotional highs or lows that he is repeating. Most fans weren't there the night before, and for the band to come up with something different every night is a bit ridiculous.

During the last 7 or 8 North American Popmart shows Bono would dedicate One to Michael Hutchence, then towards the end of the song become very visibly emotional, seamingly to the point of tears. It was very moving indeed, but again he did it over and over again. It worked, so I don't have a problem with it.

Well Hello!
I'm back. My outside adventure was not so long - my god it's cold tonight here in Croatia.
Life outside this forum is very good, it's great, the only downside is that I have only 200+ posts in here, and I can't download all the trailers of Lord of the rings... But try and go out for a minute (going to a U2 gig doesn't count) and let me know how do you like it... there are so many girls out there (I have a girlfriedn for 4 yrs now, so beautiful girls represent a kind of frustration and forbiden fruit)

But to get back to the point - I'm not only saying it - some of your posts realy made me think about this flag act a little bit diferently, looking at it from another perspective, and now I feel better. Yet still I would be happier if it wouldn't be every night - I'm a succker for one time things, whatever those things are...

bono's an emotional guy. i think it's touching and sincere.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

my friend who saw it for the first time in vegas thought it was too contrived. As do I, every time I've seen it since the webcast!

But I still love Bono
smile.gif

lol

------------------
And everyone needs the music 'cause everyone needs relief.

* U2 Take Me Higher *

First off - I think it's pure emotion and true energy from Bono. We know how he is. I prefer him to repeat it - because it's a sign or reference that life is bigger than the band, than any big idea. I prefer for him to do it every night - instead of just once. It's very touching and I think it shows just how much he loves the country and feels for it too. His tears, they are real tears.

Well it started in Hamilton when I gave bono my flag, so unless I'm on u2's payroll, I doubt marketing people are involved. He continued to do it everynight after that. It was a highlight that night and I think that it conveys something about what bono is trying to say. They do that bullfight everynight..no one complains about that. And a lot of times bonos lines that he says have been scrpted and are repeated from city to city.In short...I tnk you shoudl stop questioning the sincerity of it, and the redundancy of it..and just enjoy it fo what it is. Most of the people in the audience are seeing the show once..and once only..and bono is playing to that. Just think of it like the bulfight..it's part of the song now for a while at at least.

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 11-25-2001).]

I like it. The emotion I feel when I see him do it is the same every time.

What I feel for the flag, for those who died on Sept 11 and all that comes with it, including the tribute during One, doesn't change. It's still real, and I know it's real for Bono too.

In the wake of Sept 11 I think it's amazing that he reaches us in this way and shows this emotion, and I'm glad he's kept it up, and am happy for those whose flags he's held so dear.

love and lemons
dawn

Originally posted by Arun V:

yes marko...I am the official sex slave of u2.

And is the pay o.k.? I mean if there are some job spots that are opening I'm interested - but not as a sex slave (except there are some females in their organisation who are in need for it)
smile.gif

yes marko...I am the official sex slave of u2.

UH-NO-that's MY job
biggrin.gif

They're lying to you
wink.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Gina sorry to dissapoint you...when your that drunk..everyone looks like bono

I was standing near the girl whose flag was taken in Baltimore. She was just an ordinary fan from the GA line, who posts on the mailing lists, and her name is Cathy. She was a real fan and I will never forget the look in her big blue eyes and on her face when he did that with her flag! It was awesome. He should continue to do it for more fans.

Here is the pic I took of it:
ET69789.jpg

I sent one to the girl whose flag it was.
------------------
Visit my U2 webpage!http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 11-25-2001).]

no marko...Miss MacPhisto is the official sex slave of u2.

The Official U2 SLUT!!!!!!
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I'll never get anything from theese official U2 sluts - I'm not in a band

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous

Join one!!!!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well I'm a one man band - will that do?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous

Back
Top Bottom