Bono wears sunglasses because of eye condition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learn2kneel

War Child
Bono Suffers Eye Condition

U2 singer Bono is never photographed without his trademark sunglasses because he suffers from an eye condition. The star is aware his ever-present shades have given him a reputation as a poser, while the initial 'B' engraved on the side of them - which he claims stands for the brand, Bulgari - doesn't help either. He tells the New York Daily News, "(I have) very sensitive eyes to light. If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up. A lot of people think that, when they see a 'B' on the side, that it's just my own megalomania. Only half the time it is. I'm the (former Filipino first lady) Imelda Marcos of sunglasses."

this is from IMDB news-
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/#celeb6

learn2kneel said:
Bono Suffers Eye Condition

U2 singer Bono is never photographed without his trademark sunglasses because he suffers from an eye condition. The star is aware his ever-present shades have given him a reputation as a poser, while the initial 'B' engraved on the side of them - which he claims stands for the brand, Bulgari - doesn't help either. He tells the New York Daily News, "(I have) very sensitive eyes to light. If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up. A lot of people think that, when they see a 'B' on the side, that it's just my own megalomania. Only half the time it is. I'm the (former Filipino first lady) Imelda Marcos of sunglasses."

this is from IMDB news-
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/#celeb6

Ummm...right.

Sorry, the "B" is 100% custom, and it stands for Bono and nothing else.

As for the eye condition, certainly plausible, certain people (esp if they are on certain medications for instance) are extremely light sensitive. I've been that way since I was very young and get massive migraines when out in extremely bright light or 'white' days..bright cloudy/snowy....and driving? Forget it, I really do *need sunglasses to drive.

Looks like its been passed down to my son too, he gets the headaches from too much bright sun as well.

Re: Re: Bono wears sunglasses because of eye condition?

gabrielvox said:

Sorry, the "B" is 100% custom, and it stands for Bono and nothing else.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen these "B" glasses, can we get some PLEBA help?

Re: Re: Re: Bono wears sunglasses because of eye condition?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm sorry but I haven't seen these "B" glasses, can we get some PLEBA help?

Sure ya have!! :)

He's worn them on numerous mag covers, specifically Elevation era stuff - I think the SuperBowl performance...

He's got a pair of new Bulgaris as well that are pretty hard to get - the standard models say "Bulgari" across the arm whereas his say "B"

For a complete discussion of model numbers etc, do a Interference search on Bono sunglasses...you'll see a thread that me and a couple of other sunglass freaks keep updated..

heh...i know another musician who says this same thing. amazing how common this affliction is and how all these sensitive-eyed people seem to be in the music business? and how it only seems to affect them when they reach their 40s? :wink:

not that i would ever think bono would lie or stretch the truth in any fashion! :D

Weird, I've never seen that before, he's even denied it before. The only 'condition' he ever claimed to have was an allergy to red wine. If his eyes are so sensitive why did he take them off after the third song during Elevation and leave them off the rest of the show? I don't know about this :eyebrow: Also, you see him in pics without them when he's with his family, or if fans meet him on the street. He seems to only wear them when he's in the act of being "Bono";)

I don't know how much of a 'condition' it is for Bono, but I have read interviews where he mentions that the flashes from cameras bother him and give him headaches.

EPandAmerica said:
I don't know how much of a 'condition' it is for Bono, but I have read interviews where he mentions that the flashes from cameras bother him and give him headaches.

I don't know about this time but during Elevation they'd announce that the band doesn't care if you take their pics just don't use a flash, they get mad when you flash their eyes. At one show I was standing near someone who gave Bono something and he bent down and there was his whole face, including his beautiful eyes with no shades! I had my camera ready, but I couldn't take the pic. I knew if I did, he'd have been blind for the rest of the show (flash at that close range would blind anyone, condition or not) And remember that time he had the fit on the guy for shining the laser pointer in his eyes during Popmart? Guess he's not really all that 'happy to go blind' after all;)

My only real reason to doubt this is:

Elevation tour, bullet the blue sky and that rather large light he used 2 shine into his face.

Then again years in the stagelights can't do him much help. He keeps them on for the whole show these days doesn't he?

Bono's version... Bvlgari sunglasses... note the B.

bono_geldof_blair_04.jpg

Same model Bvlgari sunglasses that you can by... picture taken from the fine folks... err... fine folk at u2mart.com

shop_422.jpg

B's are most certainly custom made.

Even after having the custom ones made, he wore the standard ones on many occasions. The custom ones were for a while for very special occasions. Now if he wears his old Bulgari's at all it tends to be the custom green ones (ie like in Toronto before the show)

Edit: I should add, that speaking from experience Bulgari, D&G, Romeo Gigli, Mikli, Prada - they are all made with top notch lenses with UV ratings of 400 or better - so while they may appear to be transparent, they are still blocking what is causing harm to the light sensitive person - case in point the flash grey Bulgari 519s (which someone stole from me in Philly leg 1 :shame: ) - while they appear clear, they actually provide very good protection from the sun.

Last edited:
I wonder if he ruined his eyes by wearing the sunglasses all those years? You know they say a mule in a coal mine goes blind from never seeing the light over time. Maybe since he kept on wearing shades for years and years, even indoors, his eyes lost their ability to adjust to light properly:(

U2Kitten said:
I wonder if he ruined his eyes by wearing the sunglasses all those years? You know they say a mule in a coal mine goes blind from never seeing the light over time. Maybe since he kept on wearing shades for years and years, even indoors, his eyes lost their ability to adjust to light properly:(

I think you've got something here:hmm:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom