Bono wants to talk with PM, John Howard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
As posted here: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,20715546-10388,00.html

U2 lead singer and human rights activist Bono says he wants a word with Prime Minister John Howard about boosting Australia's aid to poor countries.

The Irish rock star, whose band opens its Australian tour in Brisbane tonight, said wealthy countries should donate a bigger percentage of their gross domestic product to help combat global poverty, particularly in Africa.

But he said he wouldn't meet Mr Howard if he wasn't serious about the issue.

"I wanted to talk to your PM about Africa and also the commitment to 0.7 per cent, which is a big thing," Bono said during a sound check at the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre last night.

"A lot of people in this country have signed on the idea of spending 0.7 per cent of GDP on the world's poor.

"I'm not that fussed and if he would like to meet me, if he is serious about 0.7 per cent, then I'm sure we'll find out about it and I would be very pleased to meet him.

"If he's not serious, I don't want to meet him."

Bono said the Make Poverty History campaign - a coalition of aid agencies, community groups and celebrities - was doing a "great job".

"I think the Prime Minister is looking on it and taking it very seriously but again, you Australians have to give him permission to spend your money," he said.

"I wouldn't dare to tell Australians what to do. I can only (say) what other countries are doing."

Around 50,000 people are expected at U2's concert tonight at the Centre, formerly ANZ Stadium, in Brisbane's south.

Their last major concert was at River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires in early March.

They flew from there to Sydney but headed home without playing a show after a band member's relative became ill.

Bono said they were excited about kick-starting their Australian tour and he was overwhelmed by U2's Australian following.

"They're very passionate about music," he said.

"I mean, the strange thing is to travel this distance and to find people so familiar ... not just because of the Irish blood that's down here, but I think it's just a certain way of seeing the world."
Bono said U2's music was political but it had to be careful about being "too preachy".

"These are dangerous times that we're living in. We've got troops over there in Iraq, these are serious times and I think our music reflects that," he said.

according to the Sydney Morning Herald:

Howard says he's happy to meet U2's Bono
November 7, 2006 - 4:29PM

Prime Minister John Howard says he'd be happy to meet U2 frontman and human rights activist Bono, but seems a bit confused about who he is.

The Irish rock star, whose band opens its Australian tour in Brisbane, says he wants to talk to Mr Howard about boosting Australia's aid to poor countries.

He said wealthy countries should donate more of their GDP (gross domestic product) to help combat global poverty, particularly in Africa.

Mr Howard said while there had been no approach to his office for a meeting, he would be happy to accommodate the rocker.

"If he wants to come and talk to me I'd be happy to see him. I haven't had any formal request but of course (I would meet him)," Mr Howard told reporters.

U2 is playing in Sydney on Saturday night.

But, informed of this, Mr Howard seemed a bit bemused.

"He'll be in Sydney on Saturday night? At Telstra Stadium? Is he a follower of which code of football?" Mr Howard said.

Earlier, Bono said Australia's Make Poverty History campaign - a coalition of aid agencies, community groups and celebrities - was doing a "great job".

"I think the prime minister is looking on it and taking it very seriously but again, you Australians have to give him permission to spend your money," he said.

"I wouldn't dare to tell Australians what to do. I can only (say) what other countries are doing."

Mr Howard also said he had no plans to meet former US presidential candidate turned environmental campaigner Al Gore.

Mr Gore is returning to Australia this month to promote his climate change documentary, An Inconvenient Truth.

"I don't know when he's coming but I think we ought to be realistic," Mr Howard said.

"I don't know that I'm at the top of his popularity list. I, after all, am a rather close friend of somebody he's not very keen on."

Mr Gore lost the 2000 US presidential vote to George Bush by a handful of votes in Florida.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Curious about the line that 'he's confused about who Bono is'

:huh:

Bono would be better at cricket than our so called "cricket tragic" of a "leader"...

Howard would probably just make all these nice promises to Bono and just break them or never fulfil them...

It's sad isn't it that the world leaders can't face up to the real issues and make something happen instead of just looking to the short term and keeping the masses happy.

and YES John Howard is a stooge...

:lmao: yeah i can see howard saying i will do this, that and all the rest

BUT will it happen???

i would be shocked if it did

"I think the prime minister is looking on it and taking it very seriously but again, you Australians have to give him permission to spend your money," he said.

Its fine Bono, he does that anyway and never asks

Last edited:
I don't know... I hope Bono never really goes into politics because once a person enters that world all is lost. Compromises, promises, lies - that is the world of politics - it is really only through art/music/poetry that the world is changed because it enters the psyche and alters the way we think about existence.

Politics is really all lies and pretence in the service of power and prestige.

fly so high! said:

:rolleyes: see what we have to put up with *shakes head*

.......for 10 long years.............

Julia Gillard for PM....she'd be the greatest thing to ever happen to Australia...

Back
Top Bottom