Bono wants African nations to sue over broken promises.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Bind rich nations to their poverty vows, says Bono

U2 singer Bono has said it is time to move beyond "moral" statements of intent to fight poverty and turn them into legally binding agreements, writes Simon Carswell , Finance Correspondent, in Davos

The rock star told the World Economic Forum in Davos that the developing world could then sue the world's richest nations for failing to fulfil promises to tackle poverty under UN commitments.

"I would like to turn our moral contracts into legally binding contracts and then my advice to the developing world? Get a good lawyer and haul our asses into court," said Bono.

Attention turned from the subject of economic uncertainty to issues of health, aid and development on the third day of the political and business summit.

Bono shared a stage with leading figures as they raised a banner calling for action on the UN millennium development goals, which aim to halve extreme poverty and hunger by 2015.

Joining the U2 singer on stage were UK prime minister Gordon Brown, UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, Queen Rania of Jordan, Nigerian president Umaru Musa Yar'Adua and John Chambers, chief executive of US firm Cisco.

Ban Ki-moon described Bono as a "force of nature", but the singer said it would take more than a "preening rock star" to make a difference. "I thought that this was our chance to show what our technological prowess, our financial firepower, our creativity and our moral purpose was capable of," said Bono.

"It looks like this is the moment when our generation gets to draw a line in the sand or snow and stops. Other generations put a man on the moon; we can't put every kid in school and give them a shot at not just looking across the hill to our prosperity but being part of it."

Bono has been highly critical of G8 nations at Davos this year for not delivering on promises to provide $50 billion (€34 billion) a year to eradicate poverty. "I am not pissed off because of a sense of failure. I am pissed off because of a sense of success because we know how to do this," he said.

He said the anti-poverty and African debt cancellation campaign had put 29 million children in school and two million Africans on anti-retroviral drugs "where five years ago we were laughed out of it at the thought of getting drugs to the far-reaching parts of the continent". Bono called on people to push their leaders for change.

"Social movements will always win the day, not rock stars, not politicians, none of us. So I put my faith in the social movement in France, in Germany, in Italy and in the United States. It gives us a chance of a generation to redeem ourselves." He ended his speech by citing the words of "a famous Irish lyricist Bob Dylan" and his song, The Times They Are A-Changin'.

Mr Brown said that based on current trends, the UN's health goals would not be met by 2015, but in 2050 and the education objectives by 2115. "We need to tell the truth - there is a development emergency."

Bill Gates said it was important for business to back development goals.

© 2008 The Irish TimesRelated linksFrom The Irish Times

He's not saying sue over broken promises.

He's saying, make contracts with the nations for promises as opposed to just pledging it, and then you'd have the ability to sue if they don't fulfill the terms of their contract.

can rich nations sue the nations they pledge money to, by demanding their money back if oh i don't know... the money isn't dealt with appropriately?

that might sound like a tired response, but it's a perfectly appropriate rebuttal to bono's assertion.

phillyfan26 said:
He's not saying sue over broken promises.

He's saying, make contracts with the nations for promises as opposed to just pledging it, and then you'd have the ability to sue if they don't fulfill the terms of their contract.

Sounds reasonable to me, because what is a promise worth if it can be broken any time?

And yes, there has to be control about what happens with the money ... funding of local projects, good governance and stuff .... I think this has to be covered.

Btw, I found Bono's speech in Davos a little disheartening because he's usually full of optimism, but this time he seemed to be a bit depressed because things aren't working out like they should. :|

Sounds like a really good idea, shame nations into keeping their promises.

Zoomerang96 said:
can rich nations sue the nations they pledge money to, by demanding their money back if oh i don't know... the money isn't dealt with appropriately?

that might sound like a tired response, but it's a perfectly appropriate rebuttal to bono's assertion.

Jaded are we? :eyebrow: :) To quote Bono when talking about the ONE campaign, " This shit really works"
I tend to have more faith in this particular movement founded by people of integrity whom I admire greatly because I know they will make sure the money goes where it is supposed to. And if it doesn't they will fix it.
It's all about faith and yes trust, but that's a personal choice for me. I know in my gut that I am supporting a movement that is really working so why can't all nations of the G8?

Jeannieco :up:
My sentiments exactly.

This is a fantastic idea, for the simple for accountability alone. It's absolutely unacceptible for the G8 to break their promises of action, for two reasons.

1) Moral responsibility. It is shameful to so blatently dismiss our promises of help and support to the most vulnerable people on earth - people (particularly children) who will in fact die otherwise. It was bad enough to not talk about it at all. It is quite another thing to promise them hope and the forget about it.

2) Public accountability. I literally cannot believe how they think they can get away with breaking these promises after both how visibly the promises were made (it wasn't like they were only known to insiders, the whole world heard them), as well as the incredible outcry that pressured the G8 to make them in the first place. These are our /elected/ officials, and we told them this is where we want our money going, and this is how we want to be leaders in the world. If they don't follow through on these deals, they are not only breaking a contract (moral or otherwise) with the world's poorest countries, they are breaking a contract with us.

I think the entire point of what Zoomerang said is being missed. He's not being jaded, he's being realistic.

He's saying that there are corrupt African governments that would receive the funds and then not spend them in ways that would accomplish the goals Bono is fighting for.

Certainly, I think Bono's intentions are good, but it's not as simple as, "Sign your millions away and each dollar will end up helping Africans." There are more obstacles than the stubborness of the wealthy nations.

thanks phillyfan.

and i'm sorry jeannie, but that response about you knowing it works because of a gut feeling isn't good enough.

while the west has exploited africa over the years, africa's leadership has been atrocious at best. how many billions of dollars have gone to waste?

it's hilarious to say that africa should sue the west in reality:

a) if they did sue, they'd never win... and if they did... do you think those countries would pay up? believe me, if the united states didn't pay canada on softwood duties, they sure as hell wouldn't pay uganda either.

b) if they even threatened to sue, other countries would pay even less mind to giving them aid.

c) western countries could turn around and sue african nations for not spending the money as was initially promised.

it's just a through-and-through stupid idea that has no positive possibilities.

He's so right, how dare developed nations break their promises towards the people who need it most!

Its one thing to lie to a rock star...its another thing to lie to a nation of dieing people.

It's so true:

"It looks like this is the moment when our generation gets to draw a line in the sand or snow and stops. Other generations put a man on the moon; we can't put every kid in school and give them a shot at not just looking across the hill to our prosperity but being part of it."

Why is it so hard to give everyone a decent education and let them have a run at being prosperous?

I give Bono a lot of praise for switching up the message.

how do you stop the corruption then? in darfur tens of thousands have been killed and millions are displaced. who is stepping in and trying to stop it? the current administration is about as corrupt as they come...so if they were to make any sort of statement on using funds for selfish purposes it is like the pot calling the kettle black.

i just thought about this, for all that bono goes on about giving aid, at the moment i don't recall him making comments about darfur, or any of the other countries in which conflict-violence is happening

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
thanks phillyfan.

and i'm sorry jeannie, but that response about you knowing it works because of a gut feeling isn't good enough.

while the west has exploited africa over the years, africa's leadership has been atrocious at best. how many billions of dollars have gone to waste?

it's hilarious to say that africa should sue the west in reality:

a) if they did sue, they'd never win... and if they did... do you think those countries would pay up? believe me, if the united states didn't pay canada on softwood duties, they sure as hell wouldn't pay uganda either.

b) if they even threatened to sue, other countries would pay even less mind to giving them aid.

c) western countries could turn around and sue african nations for not spending the money as was initially promised.

it's just a through-and-through stupid idea that has no positive possibilities.

Point taken. I understand the other side of the problem as well and I know that corruption runs wild.
I don't pretend to know all the answers, but there has got to be a better way than adding insult to injury with more monetary punishment which only ends up hurting the very people these programs were designed to help. I don't get how turning around and suing them brings about a positive outcome.
It's just counter-intuitive for me to think that way when Bono and others have worked so hard for debt relief, but I understand your point, I just don't agree.

Last edited:
:giggle: Jeannie, I'm with you!!

p.s. I LOVE your avi and sig - I'm a huge Obama supporter.

p.p.s. to answer some of the other comments here about corruption, I will say that as someone who is very involved in the anti-poverty campaigns such as ONE, Jubilee, etc, (and who pays close attention to Bono's words on these issues) we are acutely aware of the terrible corruption that exists in certain (NOT all) African gov'ts, and other poor countries. It is another obsticle we acknowledge in the fight against extreme poverty and underdevelopment. Part of the solution is providing strict oversight and accountability, and only working with governments who prove to be truly democratic, free, and legitimate. This is perhaps the best way to encourage democracy and gov't transparency (vs. spreading it by bombs and bullets). Believe me, Bono is NOT blind to this situation - and neither are the leaders of the development movement. The campaigns have addressed this issue, and ways to deal with it have indeed been formed already. You can read Jeffrey Sach's book "The End of Poverty" to find out more about this.

That book was held up at church last night as one to read. ^^

I think maybe Bono is making such a statement about sueing to shock people, or to shame the wealthy nations into honouring their pledges.

It is one thing for politicians to make these promises and get good press and the good will of their people, but to then not to deliver... someone needs to be pointing it out, that they're not holding up their end of the deal.

Thanks Rosebud! High five my friend! :hi5:

And Trinity, I agree about the shock value of his statement. It worked!Bono likes to do that to shake things up, we are talking about it here afterall aren't we?

I love this quote from Bono... "I am in the checks business"

It's about cashing them, not just lip service! :)

I trust him wholeheartedly to do the right thing and if others don't feel that way then move along! :)
Step aside Skippy!

OrARoundabout said:
He's so right, how dare developed nations break their promises towards the people who need it most!

Its one thing to lie to a rock star...its another thing to lie to a nation of dieing people.

And yet another when leaders of said dieing people promise to stamp out corruption and then just pocket the West's money

Sue them too for broken promises

Rosebud said:
we are acutely aware of the terrible corruption that exists in certain (NOT all) African gov'ts, and other poor countries.

Not all. But most.

Angola, Cameroon, Chad, The Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe are all extremely corrupt. And that's just to name a few - corruption exists to lesser degrees in almost all African governments. Some of these countries that I've listed here are those that are in the most dire need of aid. And their governments aren't going away any time soon. What happens to them?

The One Campaign and similar organisations will not be effective unless these governments are replaced with democratic leaders (and not of the kind of "democracy" that people like Mugabe endorse) and democratic administrative bodies. A tall order indeed. It's all very well to say that you will only work with governments that are truly democratic and free of corrupt leadership. Unfortunately, there are very few African countries that fit that description. And there are very few that would be willing to change their ways in order to receive aid from a group like the One Campaign. Is Mugabe going to give up his ill-gotten fortunes to save his crumbling country? Of course not; the man is off his rocker. He'll continue to ride around in his expensive cars with his citizens starving in his wake, until he dies/is assassinated and another despot takes his place. The entire continent is in need of a political overhaul.

Bono's general attempts are noble...but I think this claim that African countries should be able to sue the West is slightly ridiculous, for all the reasons Zoomerang outlined.

Jeannieco said:
Thanks Rosebud! High five my friend! :hi5:

And Trinity, I agree about the shock value of his statement. It worked!Bono likes to do that to shake things up, we are talking about it here afterall aren't we?

I love this quote from Bono... "I am in the checks business"

It's about cashing them, not just lip service! :)

I trust him wholeheartedly to do the right thing and if others don't feel that way then move along! :)
Step aside Skippy!

:hi5:

Back
Top Bottom