Bono Vs Freddy Mercury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the best singer of these two?

• Bono

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Freddy Mercury

Votes: 35 42.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
When people talks about wich person who got the best voice ever these two guys often come on everbodys mind, so who's got the best voice ever?

My vote is for Bono, the resons is:

- There is no ohter vocalist in the world that can sing wich such a feeling, he gives his all. He sings with passion

- His voice is very deep

- He always suprise when he sings, he sing one step higher then he should be able to. He pushes his voice to levels that should be impossbile for him.

- His voice has always changed, wich make it never gets nagging

- He has a wide register, low dark, high light, falsetto, operatic

- Most of singers cancel their shows if their got a cold or soemthing is wrong with their voice, Bono dosent care and gives it all.

I love Bono's voice. He's a great singer.

But you've put him up against one of the 2 people I think are better (the other being Otis Redding.)

It would have been nice to hear how Freddy's voice aged. Comparing them during the Live Aid era I would have to go with Freddy.

Freddie Mercury OBVIOUSLY has a much better voice. I prefer Bono's simply because I like the sound better, but no one can deny that Freddie's voice is superior.

Freddie's definitely a better technical singer.

I'm not much of a Queen fan at all bar a few songs (Under Pressure :drool:), but the guy had a marvelous voice and a range that Bono simply can't match.

I prefer Bono's voice, but when it comes down to it, Freddy had much more actual singing skill than Bono. :shrug:

Edit: And didn't we have a thread on this exact topic a while back? :eyebrow:

bridgit said:
It would have been nice to hear how Freddy's voice aged. Comparing them during the Live Aid era I would have to go with Freddy.

That wasnt a fare compare, Bonos voice was very worn because tey just had end a long tour. Just listen to his voice about one year later:

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3509C734000029C4

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=512E453E60107D39

One more thing turn up the speakers alot because these performence is one of Bono's strongest ever

shart1780 said:
Freddie Mercury OBVIOUSLY has a much better voice. I prefer Bono's simply because I like the sound better, but no one can deny that Freddie's voice is superior.

I have never heard Freddy use his voice like Bono did on

"Wide Awake"(1986-06-15 - http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3509C734000029C4)

"Amoure"(Miss Sarajevo)

Spanish Eyes

God Part II

In A Life Time

Night And Day falsette

Mysterious Ways falsette on ZooTV shows

Lemon

Native Sons long Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee

well the list can contunie

Freddie all the way:rockon:

both are great frontman...and I think Freddie inspired Bono........

Last edited:
Technically Freddie was probably a better singer, but I prefer the passion in Bono's voice.

Peterrrrr said:

That wasnt a fare compare, Bonos voice was very worn because tey just had end a long tour. Just listen to his voice about one year later:

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3509C734000029C4

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=512E453E60107D39

One more thing turn up the speakers alot because these performence is one of Bono's strongest ever

Note: I said Live Aid era, not Live Aid.

oh tricky one, i would say Freddie is the SECOND best rock star of all time!

first one being John Lennon!
then Freddie,
Then Bono!

but voice wise?
Bono + Freddie are tied!

I can't answer this poll. On one hand, Freddie has a technically better voice and singing talent than Bono.

Yet on the other hand, I feel Bono's voice has more character and he can emote through his voice more effectively than most singers. Just listen to a Lovetown show and you'll see what I mean. ;)

btw, try listening to songs like:-

Under Pressure
Somebody to Love!>>

that song is awesome, his voice changes pitch soo much its unreal! from deep to VERY HIGH!

its awesome!

and the person who said U2 ended a very long tour?
SO DID QUEEN!
they had just finished "the Works" tour, from Europe to the rest of the world from 1984, in January that year they performed the LARGEST crowd in one stadium ever-"ROCK AT RIO", and his voice is awesome then! so both artists were worn out yet gave there best performance EVER!

Ive got to go with Freddie, best showman ever,voice superb live,and im not a big Queen fan. but Bono is close vocally on record.

PlaTheGreat said:
This is the most ridiculous poll ever.

Freddie a thousand times over.

Seriously! Bono doesn't even have half the vocal power, showmanship or musicianship that Freddie had. Freddie Mercury was a one of a kind performer. Simply the greatest rock frontman that ever lived.

BEFORE anyone jumps on me: in my opinion.

GibsonGirl said:

Seriously! Bono doesn't even have half the vocal power, showmanship or musicianship that Freddie had. Freddie Mercury was a one of a kind performer. Simply the greatest rock frontman that ever lived.

let me give you a flamesuit......just in case:wink:

There have been many great male pop vocalists - oddly, of them, many are gay or bisexual (Freddie Mercury, George Michael, Boy George, Elton John (in the 70's)).

As this poll only deals with Mercury and Bono, though, I'll focus on them. Mercury is indeed incredible. Wonderful falsetto, great range, great rock voice. Choosing between the two - especially comparing them both at their peak - is a challenge.

But I give the nod to Bono for many reasons. First, it was Bono's passionate singing that first attracted me to U2. In contrast, it was the overall song that made Queen appeal to me - not Mercury's vocals. Second, Bono's passion alone was enough to make some very simple songs come to life. "With or Without You" probably wouldn't have been nearly the hit it was with another singer. Third, Bono's experimentation with his own voice, from high flying wails to whispered tones to gravelly voice have worked spectacularly. Had Bono sang "One" or "Beautiful Day" with the same operatic vocals of a "With or Without You", they wouldn't have worked at all. Those songs are about people who've lost it all, yet still find some hope. That gravelly voice worked for them, while a richer voice wouldn't. The whispered tones of "The Fly" or the near speaking voice of "Until the End of the World" show that Bono is confident enough not to have to belt out every tune.

Lastly, HTDAAB and the tour showed that Bono's voice is strong now as it was "then". Yes, there were years where he was weak - but even Bono's weakest vocal time (sporadically from about 1996-2002) were far better than most vocalists. That is, we were so used to this powerhouse voice, we were spoiled. But Bono does rock - and his strained voice still worked for rock music.

Hence, for me, Bono's still "the man" when it comes to top notch vocals. His range and style suit rock, pop and even bursts of opera. :D

GibsonGirl said:

Well, Bono got more strangeness in his performences, the way he move and also all characters on ZooTV.

Lancemc said:
I can't answer this poll. On one hand, Freddie has a technically better voice and singing talent than Bono.

Yet on the other hand, I feel Bono's voice has more character and he can emote through his voice more effectively than most singers. Just listen to a Lovetown show and you'll see what I mean. ;)

Well, hsi JT voice was much stronger than LT, for example he couldnt sing Wide Awake, WOWY and ISHFWILF wich the same wide range on LT that he did on LT. He screamed to much on LT and had and was hoarse.

freddie is far too camp for me. Great showman but too camp.
Queen as a whole are camp lol.

btw 1st post since coming back from Greece.

Peterrrrr said:

Well, Bono got more strangeness in his performences, the way he move and also all characters on ZooTV.

freddy_mercury.jpg

freddie%20mercury%208%20-%20live.jpg

seriously though Freddie's stage presence was out of this world..... :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom