Bono Vs Freddy Mercury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the best singer of these two?

• Bono

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Freddy Mercury

Votes: 35 42.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadiens1160 said:
Watch it, dude, that's some crazy gay talk you're talking there.

The way I balance it out is as follows:

After listening to "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen, where Freddie sings:

"Give me every inch of your love"

I listen to "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin twice, where Robert sings:

"I'm gonna give you every inch of my love."

MrBrau1 said:

The way I balance it out is as follows:

After listening to "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen, where Freddie sings:

"Give me every inch of your love"

I listen to "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin twice, where Robert sings:

"I'm gonna give you every inch of my love."

:lmao:

Also, I forgot to mention that probably like a lot of you guys on interference I caught GAY when I was about seven years old, but I passed it on during a game of IT.

More sensibly, seeing as many of Queens songs & videos confronted sexuality directly, it's hardly surprising that Freddie would play on his sexuality in their performance.

This thread is hilarious. People are negating Freddie's obvious vocal superiority because he was openly flamboyant on stage? Well fuck me dead! This, coming from fans of a band who released the video for Lemon.

Lancemc said:

Right, so it's also not about who's a better stage performer.

And by the way, watching that clip you provided, only showed a typical overblown classic rock front-man. :lol: I can't believe you actual said "Watch this and tell me blah blah blah". Honestly, I love Freddie, and I do think he's a better singer technically, I'd hardly say he has a better stage presence than the B man. I don't care how good the musicians of Queen are (and I've never heard One Vision before, but in that clip it sort of blows) they just can't match the passion of a U2 show. But again, this is still off topic.

The video I posted of One Vision was to show that Freddie is every bit the showman that Bono is, if not more. The topic at the time was that Freddie was a very good singer, but he didn't match Bono's emotion and stage presence. The second video I posted of White Queen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0y6Pn51-g ) was to show how Freddie's voice towers over Bono's.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

First off, the original thread was about Bono vs. Freddy as a singer. In that sense, sure, I can acknowledge he was a good singer. But, then people started posting pics. Why? Because the FIRST thing that pops into your head when you hear the name 'Freddy Mercury' is his overall weirdness, not his voice. Freddy Mercury made a conscious effort to be over the top and flamboyant in an extrememly gay way. That was his decision, not mine. It's the image he wanted to portray.

Exactly.An image he wanted to portray.He was completely different off stage.He wasn't 'Freddie Mercury' all the time.Bono also did dress up as The Fly or MacPhisto but he wasn't like that in real life.What is 'overall weirdness'?Do you think that being dressed up as a devil in golden suit with red horns and making telephone call to Pope in front of 60 000 people is less weird than guy with moustache wearing tight pants on stage?Besides the picture of Freddie you were commenting was taken in 70's.Take a closer look at what Mick Jagger and David Bowie used to wear on stage that time.

PlaTheGreat said:
Freddie is just too darn gay to win this poll. :(

Those damn cross-dressing gays with their vacuum cleaners. :(

The problem here, is that people are unable to separate their loyalty to U2 from musical common sense. Same thing happened in the Flea/Adam thread. The question in this thread is, who was the better singer? Who was able to do more with his voice? Anyone who has listened to Queen and U2 (aside from the hits - don't judge Queen on their hits) will know that Freddie's voice is just something else completely. He maintained that power and versatility to his death bed. The fact that Bono's winning this just shows the ridiculous defensiveness of U2 fans to anything that might show up U2.

To put it into perspective: Radiohead is one of my top favourite bands. I would never in a thousand years claim that Thom Yorke is a better technical singer than Bono, because it's just not bloody true. Thom Yorke is an absolute crap singer in comparison to Bono. Now, I like Radiohead about a thousand times more than I like U2, but I can still admit this. You can be a fan of a band and not lap up everything about them! Bono is OBVIOUSLY a good singer, but he's not as good as Freddie Mercury, from a purely musical and technical standpoint.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

the FIRST thing that pops into your head when you hear the name 'Freddy Mercury' is his overall weirdness, not his voice.

Oh my God. :lmao:

I didn't even see that. Yes, the first thing that pops into my mind when I hear "Freddy" (FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE, FREDDIE) Mercury's name is his strangeness. The only reason why I admire Freddie Mercury is because he dressed in crazy suits and said things like "my lovies" on stage. Freddie Mercury's voice doesn't even register in my mind, because I'm too busy ogling at his gayness!

It's a beautiful summer day. My drive to work was soundtracked with "You And I" 5 times.:drool:

My playlist for work today:

Sheer Heart Attack (entire album)
A Night At The Opera (entire album)
A Day At The Races (entire album)

It will be a good day.

Why are gay people so weird? :(

Why don't they just go back to where they came from... Russia or something.

MrBrau1 said:
It's a beautiful summer day. My drive to work was soundtracked with "You And I" 5 times.:drool:

My playlist for work today:

Sheer Heart Attack (entire album)
A Night At The Opera (entire album)
A Day At The Races (entire album)

It will be a good day.

A very good day. In fact, it sounds extraordinarily nice. :drool:

Freddie was born in Zanzibar.

486px-Spice_Islands_%28Tanzania%29.svg.png

ntalwar said:

According to Wikipedia, his real real name is Farrokh Bulsara :D .

Yeah, but if people are going to use his nickname, the least they could do is type it correctly. :wink: Seeing "Freddy" is like seeing "Bano" or "Boner."

I seem to recall reading that he went to school in India, not sure if it was Bombay.

xaviMF22 said:
wow1! how come Bono is still winning this thread?:huh:
Because U2 fans are insular and lame about their perception of music other than U2.

GibsonGirl said:

The video I posted of One Vision was to show that Freddie is every bit the showman that Bono is, if not more. The topic at the time was that Freddie was a very good singer, but he didn't match Bono's emotion and stage presence. The second video I posted of White Queen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0y6Pn51-g ) was to show how Freddie's voice towers over Bono's.

I don't know if you were trying to tell me something specifically, but if you were, I already knew all that.

My post was just in response to your clip saying "I get what you're trying to point out, but I think you're wrong." And my comment on the song was just an off-topic observation on how lame "One Vision" is.

And I still agree that Freddie's a better singer than Bono. I just feel Bono puts on a more enjoyable and unique live performance. And of course that last part is totally subjective.;)

Canadiens1160 said:
Oh please.

Fucking fuck off.

Bono has absoultley NO chance versus Freddie. Bono a better voice than Freddie? If you voted for that, than, seriously, you're fucking retarded, or so blinded by your U2 fandom you think that they're also 'the greatest rock band ever' or 'awesome musicians'.

Bono's voice is fucking horrible compared to Freddie's. Seriously? How the fuck is Freddie winning this poll. Fuck off. Seriously.

Fuck off. Please.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Man, only on a U2 message board would I see such stupidity and close-minded blind sheep voting for something not possibly true in a normal world.

Jesus fucking christ.

EDIR: I'm drunk okay?

Also, jesus fucking christ, you'tre out of your fucking minds.

Posts like this are unaccpetable and you know it. I dont really care if your're drunk, high, whatever. This is a formal warning and if I see posts like this from you again you will be suspended from this forum.

You can argue and debate your points without telling people to fuck off and using 'gay' and 'gays' as a slur.

Both belong in my all time favourite singers and are great performers :up:
I can't properly vote because I haven't heard as much of Queen music as I have of U2. I don't know enough about singing professionally enough to decide and I'd probably have a slight bias. Range is on Freddie's side is about the most I can say.

Separately from that (and I realise this is not what the poll is asking), I have seen Queen concert footage, and U2's. I prefer Bono's showmanship. If I look at what is probably the one time they shared a stage together, yeah, Freddie got 100 000 people clapping and singing. But it was the 25 year old Bono that provided the moment that everyone remembered the most from Live Aid. Keep in mind this was a gigantic show with spectacular line-up, and Queen was in their ... 13th? year of career while U2 was a much less experienced band who previously aside from a few festival shows didn't really play such huge venues.

I get why Bono's ahead, but folks, Bono wasn't even much of a singer till the UF era, and Freddie's been brilliant his whole career.

Bono has a great voice, and easily one of the best showman ever, right up there with Plant, Tyler, and Mercury, but I've got to vote for Freddie.

Canadiens1160 said:
or so blinded by your U2 fandom you think that they're also 'the greatest rock band ever'

Umm...besides Zeppelin, I do think they're the best rock band ever. (I don't think you could quite call the Beatles a "rock band", but they're my favorite ever)

Beatles > Zeppelin > U2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Queen

And yeah, I still voted for Freddie, so you can do both. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom