Bono vs. Eddie Vedder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X-it 7

The Fly
You knew it was coming. Actually, this comparison has probably benn posted before.

Both are absolutely electric frontmen who mesmerize their audiences. Both are politically conscious and active. Both obviusly, front incredible bands. Lastly - and I'm not sure about this - but I think Bono has a secretary named Lincoln while Eddie has a secretary named Lincoln (j/k).

Anyway, who's better and why?

Bono's better because he had adapted to change while vedder hasnt really changed too much to adapt to changes in the market.

Bono is a broadway type of chap , macphisto, mirrorball man , rebel , captain bono, politician etc etc.

do i make sense ? :reject:

bono_eddie.jpg

:ohmy:

I don't know why, but Vedder's voice really annoys me. REALLY annoys me. I also get annoyed by his juvenile political parading.

I'm guessing you know who wins in my book.

Eddie singing U2! Here's a brief performance of "A Sort Of Homecoming" during Pearl Jam's tour last year. Personally, I think he does a hell of a job.

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B9697FBE2D0CB388

And, here's Bono, channeling his very best punk love with Eddie on "Rockin' in the Free World." It's from the Pearl Jam show last fall, where U2 infamously showed up and hung around the stage area all night long. Bono's on-the-spot improv at around 5:10 is really worth the listen:

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=240ECF9414392962

There's a lot of mutual respect between them...a Celebrity Death-match is probably out of the question. :wink:

angelordevil said:
It's from the Pearl Jam show last fall, where U2 infamously showed up and hung around the stage area all night long.

Infamously? Did the band overstay their welcome or something?

shart1780 said:
I don't know why, but Vedder's voice really annoys me.

I thought it was just me. :wink: It's not all the time but for the most part, I agree..

and their latest video is like CSI on acid. *shivers* :huh:

but there seems to be a mutual respect between the two bands.
and that's always good :wink:

I don't think either one is "better", they both are unique and do their own unique thing very well. I've never seen Pearl Jam in concert unfortunately so I can't compare that. I can see how they could have things in common personally and could get along well.

This is in the new Rolling Stone interview with Eddie

Do you ever wish that you'd embraced the machine more? If you had even more of the spotlight on you, if you had completely gone for it and embraced it, then maybe you'd have more power to speak out politically. Do you ever think about that kind of thing?

"I tell ya. I had the chance. I just didn't take the bait. Believe me, we put ourselves out there, with Nader, and whatever it is, as much as we can. But as a band we know our limits and as a human I certainly know my limits. I just have this deep kind of connection to reality of being like... in a way, I feel like a dock worker. I want to stay in connection with my dock-worker side, 'cause that's how I grew up...I'm not ready to be that guy who can meet with world leaders and all that. It's tremendous what Bono does. I don't know if I could do it, not the way he does. I don't think many people could. The physicality of what Bono does, the physicality of like, meeting with Mitterrand and then going and playing Sweden that night, and then more shows after that... I've told him that I was in awe of what he did, not only what he accomplished, but how he fuckin' did it, from the point of taxing his body. I told him this, and he kind of raised his eyebrows and asked for another drink. [Laughs]"

Kildare said:

Infamously? Did the band overstay their welcome or something?

No, exactly the opposite! From what I've read, there was plenty of drink involved. I also got the impression U2 viewed that night as a moment of inspiration, performance-wise. It was after this that they started to screw around with the setlists a tad bit more.

shart1780 said:

A lot of bands do it, but few do it as badly as the likes of Pearl Jam and Springsteen.

So, who does it well?

angelordevil said:
Eddie singing U2! Here's a brief performance of "A Sort Of Homecoming" during Pearl Jam's tour last year. Personally, I think he does a hell of a job.

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B9697FBE2D0CB388

And, here's Bono, channeling his very best punk love with Eddie on "Rockin' in the Free World." It's from the Pearl Jam show last fall, where U2 infamously showed up and hung around the stage area all night long. Bono's on-the-spot improv at around 5:10 is really worth the listen:

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=240ECF9414392962

There's a lot of mutual respect between them...a Celebrity Death-match is probably out of the question. :wink:

What cd are the below taken from? The sound great!

angelordevil said:
That was pretty good :up:

shart1780 said:

Alot of bands do it, but few do it as badly as the likes of Pearl Jam and Springsteen.

i guess u2, on the other hand, are good pandererereers?

look... i've had issue with both vedder and springsteen when it comes to certain things they've done politicaly in the past... but, and i'm not just saying this because i'm a fan, but the two of them have done and continue to do more for local charaties than the majority of bands throughout the world... just because bono just happens to be held in the esteem of a head of state based on all the work he's done doesn't mean that what pearl jam or springsteen have done is any less important.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom