Bono vrs. Mick Jagger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've been watching the Stone's Four Flicks dvd's and I've noticed a couple of things with Mick that have made me come up with the conclusion that despite being the less talented of the two, Mick is the superior professional.

1) Mick hasn't been smoking and thus his falsetto is nearly as good as it used to be. Bono's isn't what it used to be ...at all.
2) Mick doesn't need teleprompters to remember the lyrics of all their songs. Bono makes millions a year and can't even do his job of remembering the lyrics. What if Edge forgot the chords for all their songs? What if Larry forgot all their cues? How do they allow Bono to be this irresponsible?
3) Mick is in great shape even though he's 60+ years old. Bono, on the other hand, is fat. :huh:

And you know what? I love Bono to death but I just can't stand the fact that he has been so irresponsible with his craft to allow himself to look this bad. He makes so much money and he has just one job to do and can't even do it 100% right.

I hate Mick Jagger's voice, he cannot sing for shit and his stage behaviour at this age is more than embarrassing. He doesn't have half of Bono's charisma, sorry. I like some of their songs but I find their shows quite boring and there is no way that they can ever have the emotional impact that U2 are having on their audience.

How many negative Bono bashing threads do we need from people who continually try to compare Bono to other singers and U2 to other groups. U2 is U2 and Bono is Bono and it's good that way and we love them for what they are.

If you don't like what Bono and U2 are doing and have to INSULT Bono personally, why don't you go and join a Stones or another fanclub.

Oh, and yes, Mick has a teleprompter on stage. Unless Bono, he seems to use it. Bono doesn't most of the time, that's why he is, let's say it this way, more creative with his lyrics.

Last edited:
mick jagger=scary
bono=sexy

and we dont need a negative bono thread, hes such a good guy and im sick of hearing people talk shit about him. totally agree with u unicorn!

...but.... i do like the stones :shifty:

last unicorn said:
I hate Mick Jagger's voice, he cannot sing for shit and his stage behaviour at this age is more than embarrassing. He doesn't have half of Bono's charisma, sorry. I like some of their songs but I find their shows quite boring and there is no way that they can ever have the emotional impact that U2 are having on their audience.

How many negative Bono bashing threads do we need from people who continually try to compare Bono to other singers and U2 to other groups. U2 is U2 and Bono is Bono and it's good that way and we love them for what they are.

If you don't like what Bono and U2 are doing and have to INSULT Bono personally, why don't you go and join a Stones or another fanclub.

Oh, and yes, Mick has a teleprompter on stage. Unless Bono, he seems to use it. Bono doesn't most of the time, that's why he is, let's say it this way, more creative with his lyrics.

Bono sucks :p

last unicorn said:

totally agree with you , we dont need this shit .

Bono vs Jagger??

pffft Bono would kick Mick's ass. Sure, Mick's all wiry and shit and has stamina, but Bono's meatiness would come into play as he pounds Mick's tiny body and mops the floor with him.

My money's on B. :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:
I've been watching the Stone's Four Flicks dvd's and I've noticed a couple of things with Mick that have made me come up with the conclusion that despite being the less talented of the two, Mick is the superior professional.

1) Mick hasn't been smoking and thus his falsetto is nearly as good as it used to be. Bono's isn't what it used to be ...at all.
2) Mick doesn't need teleprompters to remember the lyrics of all their songs. Bono makes millions a year and can't even do his job of remembering the lyrics. What if Edge forgot the chords for all their songs? What if Larry forgot all their cues? How do they allow Bono to be this irresponsible?
3) Mick is in great shape even though he's 60+ years old. Bono, on the other hand, is fat. :huh:

And you know what? I love Bono to death but I just can't stand the fact that he has been so irresponsible with his craft to allow himself to look this bad. He makes so much money and he has just one job to do and can't even do it 100% right.

Bono has never aspired to be "professional" but has instead sought to touch peoples hearts and communicate with his audiences. If you are looking for some kind of perfect performance then maybe U2 isn't the band for you. Yes, Mick may very well be more "professional" but that's because music is a job to him whereas for Bono it is more a vocation. And Thank God that Bono doesn't buy into the whole fashion statement skinny as a rail thing. For one thing Mick Jagger and Bono have totally different body types and while Bono may carry a few extra pounds at times he is by no means fat. However Mick almost always appears emaciated. I have no idea how anyone can find that sexy.

1) Bono has never claimed to be a fantastic singer. What he brings to the table is pure emotion not perfection. Edge does forget the chords to all their songs. He talked about having listen to the earlier albums when rehearsing for the UF tour because by the time they finished the album he didn't remember how to play any of the earlier songs. He has also said they "lost" A Celebration" because he can't remember how to play it. U2 still to this day do not consider themselves to be "professional" musicians but rather feel that they are still struggling with how to play their instruments. Edge was asked about jamming with other musicians and he said it is not something that any of them are comfortable with because they don't feel competant at that style of playing. They are not really musicians in the truest sense of the word but are more like artists who happen to use music as their medium rather than canvas or fillm.

2) Bono doesn't try to remember his lyrics because Bono likes to rewrite his songs to fit the moment. If you want a perfect automaton you can go to Vegas or any amusement park and see "perfect" performances but none will have the heart and soul that Bono puts into a show.

3) Bono could not get back into shape properly on this tour because he threw his back out very badly towards the end of the recording sessions and was not able to run or box which is his preferred method of getting fit. He is the first to admit that between tours he tend to enjoy life and lets himself go a bit, and why the hell shouldn't he?

Dana

BrownEyedBoy said:
And Madonna is far superior than both when it comes to being a "professional", doesn't make her music any better.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Sinatra smoked up until the end, I could care less.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Remembering a chord pattern and remembering lyrics are two completely different things...

1) That may be, but have you heard Bono's falsetto in the last tour ? It has improved since Elevation...and I think Bono's always been better as a singer. The stuff on UF/JT/R&H alone is something Mick can't touch vocally.

2) Since he's - what - 15 years Bono's senior, I doubt he can get through the songs without a teleprompter. Plenty of non-Bono singers use it, why is it such a bad thing when he does it ?

3) He was never that much in shape, or thin. (except maybe Popmart and the first three tours) I also think he has lost/will lose some pounds by the time the next tour comes around.

martha said:
Bono vs Jagger??

pffft Bono would kick Mick's ass. Sure, Mick's all wiry and shit and has stamina, but Bono's meatiness would come into play as he pounds Mick's tiny body and mops the floor with him.

My money's on B. :up:

My theory is they would circle each other for a couple of minutes then both think "ah this is silly" and wander off deep in conversation. They would then meet up with Peter Garrett and the guy from Silverchair and smoke pot in an Australian hotel room while listening to some albums. Then they would all traipse out of there and run into Keith Richards and would decide that climbing palm tress was a really good idea. Of course it wasn't and they all fall out of the damned trees and crack their silly skulls.

And then for the next couple of years the first question out of every interviewer's mouth would be "what the hell were you doing in a palm tree?" and Bono would come up with a convoluted and long winded explanation about how climbing the palm tree was to give him inspiration for the lyrics for the new U2 album (which is still not yet complete). Jagger and Richards have no comment because they can't remember anything which has happened in the past 20 or so years. :D

He looks like a 30 year old with the skin of a 120 year old tightly wrapped around him.

The two seeemed pretty happy together from that documentary made a few years back for one of Mick's solo albums. You know, that album that sold all but a few hundred records worldwide in the first day of release. True.

Really though, I like the Stones a bunch. How come Edge ain't ever done a soft, quiet solo like in Under My Thumb? Best Stones song IMO, although I admit the subject is quite... disrespectful.

I been listening to U2 for 25+ years (and I guarentee had more dealings with the songs than Bono in that time)and I still cant remember the lyrics.

You are getting into the area of physiology of why Bono is the build he is and also Jagger. Is it a crime not to be stick thin?

Bono is how bono is. Apart from his dress sense at times (and them fekin stoopit shoes) I wouldnt change a thing

indra said:

My theory is they would circle each other for a couple of minutes then both think "ah this is silly" and wander off deep in conversation. They would then meet up with Peter Garrett and the guy from Silverchair and smoke pot in an Australian hotel room while listening to some albums. Then they would all traipse out of there and run into Keith Richards and would decide that climbing palm tress was a really good idea. Of course it wasn't and they all fall out of the damned trees and crack their silly skulls.

yeah, I thought they liked each other..??!! I am not quite sure what's the point of the face-off here...

Also... the fact that Bono changes his lirics during concerts makes the whole experience much more interesting!!

E.

Let it be Bono AND Jagger, it's great we have the two singers/frontmen. They still have yet to get a worthy successor in that department.

BrownEyedBoy said:

1) I didn't realize Mick never smoked, but I agree, smoking is one of the few things Bono's done that have truly irked me. For his health, his voice and the example...

2) I love it when Bono improvises new lyrics on the spot, and sometimes he does this very well, other times he's obviously forgotten the lyrics, and that is a bit annoying. I'm willing to overlook it because over the past two tours he's had a second more-than-full-time-job of being an advocate for disadvantaged people in the world. If the price of that is not having a perfectly rehearsed recall of every song lyric, i think he made the right choice.

3) for health reasons, i like to see people take care of themselves. again i think this is a trade-off Bono's made recently by taking his advocacy work very seriously. i do hope he makes more time to take care of his health again soon however. i don't think it's really affected his performances though- he's been very energetic the last two tours.

Back
Top Bottom