Bono to Speak to Fox Executives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southpaw_gil

The Fly
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

From the LA Times today 7/28/06:

Rupert Murdoch is gathering 250 News Corp executives at Pebble Beach, California for a 5 day management retreat. This guy really has some pull! The following people will be speaking there: Tony Blair, Al Gore, Bill Clinton and Shimon Peres, former Israeli Vice Premier. U2's Bono will deliver a keynote address titled "The Power of One."

The event starts Sunday and concludes Thursday.

I wonder if Bono will just fly in for the day or hang around and take advantage of some of the activities? Does Bono golf?

Bono is no dummy.
If he can win over the American right, the conservatives, then his fight for more aid is all but over.

He hasn't done it yet, but he's done more than any other activist of any kind. Well, let's be fair, he represents a well-tooled, well-schooled organization and he, himself is pretty much up to par moreso than anybody.

The reason I say this, how many uninformed toolbags will be saying Bono is selling out his credibility by talking to Murdoch? Fucking fools who don't see the bigger picture. Bono may be writing some banal lyrics to you, me or anybody else, but he's knocking the shit out of the park on the Africa issue, and I've never been more proud of him.

If I could see myself as a ridiculously famous multi-multi millionaire, I'd only hope I could have his foresight. To cast aside a personal image problem, a PR bullshit problem and just try and get the job done. Bono is raked over the coals for some ridiculous reasons, he should be applauded for exposing the light on this issue.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
Bono is no dummy.
If he can win over the American right, the conservatives, then his fight for more aid is all but over.

He hasn't done it yet, but he's done more than any other activist of any kind. Well, let's be fair, he represents a well-tooled, well-schooled organization and he, himself is pretty much up to par moreso than anybody.

The reason I say this, how many uninformed toolbags will be saying Bono is selling out his credibility by talking to Murdoch? Fucking fools who don't see the bigger picture. Bono may be writing some banal lyrics to you, me or anybody else, but he's knocking the shit out of the park on the Africa issue, and I've never been more proud of him.

If I could see myself as a ridiculously famous multi-multi millionaire, I'd only hope I could have his foresight. To cast aside a personal image problem, a PR bullshit problem and just try and get the job done. Bono is raked over the coals for some ridiculous reasons, he should be applauded for exposing the light on this issue.

Bang on-I usually don't care when people diss U2s recent output(or at least Bonos lyrics) but it drives me bonkers when people glorify the days when Bono made prank phone calls to the white house-Actually hanging out with those guys like he does now takes alot more balls than calling the president of France a wanker!

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
Bono is no dummy.

He does what he has to do, in terms of meeting with various politicians, etc. to get the results he desires. So far, the results are mixed and hopefully they will improve in the future. But who's to say he shouldn't be criticized for doing it? Even The Edge has criticized Bono for doing it many times. An example- Bono has said: "Edge was pleading with me not to hang out with the conservatives. He said, 'You're not going to have a picture with George Bush?' I said I'd have lunch with Satan if there was so much at stake."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom