bono this bono that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I think this may be the first time in a while Bono isn't working behind a persona. I've yet to decide whether I prefer him behind one or not. We'll see what the next album brings. :mac:

Well, I honestly wished he would go back to the damn studio and finished the album so we can have it before Christmas... :)

He can always save the world later...

U2@NYC said:
Well, I honestly wished he would go back to the damn studio and finished the album so we can have it before Christmas... :)

:up:

but then saving the world is important...
look its a bird...no its a plane!....wait!! its SUPERBONO

U2@NYC said:

975,000 people will die of AIDS in Africa between now and Christmas......

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

975,000 people will die of AIDS in Africa between now and Christmas......

It's really sad to have these numbers. Just a few thousand die of SARS then it's already in the headlines and there even is a benefit concert for it. Even the deaths in 9/11 dwarf the numbers in Africa. Everything is about money, media reports only the news that can sell them viewers and readers. Too bad no one gives a damn about Africa. Thank God for Bono's latest persona - it sure does help bring the message better across. All of us U2 fans seem to be Africa experts by now, and we can almost lipsynch to the talkshows Bono appears on - able to say his every word - just like how we could all predict what The Fly or MacPhisto would say.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

It's really sad to have these numbers. Just a few thousand die of SARS then it's already in the headlines and there even is a benefit concert for it. Even the deaths in 9/11 dwarf the numbers in Africa. Everything is about money, media reports only the news that can sell them viewers and readers. Too bad no one gives a damn about Africa.

Wow, Jick, I completely agree with you!

Thank God for Bono's latest persona - it sure does help bring the message better across. All of us U2 fans seem to be Africa experts by now, and we can almost lipsynch to the talkshows Bono appears on - able to say his every word - just like how we could all predict what The Fly or MacPhisto would say.

You never quit, do you...... :rolleyes:

for the love of shit! bono isnt saving the world! pull your heads out of your asses already! he might be your personal saviour by the sounds of it, but please give the rest of us the benefit of not being as dense.

I don't think anyone here ever claimed he was saving the 'world', it's just a stupid cliche. Besides, I highly doubt you or anyone here has contributed even close to the amount of time and effort Bono has to a cause greater than one's self.

no, but none of us have the time or money he does to go around doing what hes doing.

and the bottom line is its still a completely stupid cliche to say hes saving the world because hes not, and he never will. he may make things better, i dont know, and thats good and all but im so sick and tired of people thinking hes the worlds savior. scott stapp is busy making another album with *****.

I have tried to read all this thread objectively, seriously, to me, personally, I does not like that sometimes Bono pays more attention to his humanitarian work (very noble, very praiseworthy, but the one of him is music) than to the new album, even so, I think that as public person and opinion leader he is that puts a good example, many of his causes I support it, but until there, that is the part that less I like of U2

tired to listen about him? I do not think that, I will get tired to listen about something when that something I like any more

that usually happens when something you do not like and listening over and over again about that something... this satiated you

like me with Eminem :mad:

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:

and the bottom line is its still a completely stupid cliche to say hes saving the world because hes not, and he never will. he may make things better, i dont know, and thats good and all but im so sick and tired of people thinking hes the worlds savior. scott stapp is busy making another album with *****.

Supporting his cause doesn't automatically mean he's my savior. I only have one savior and it sure as hell is not Bono. Of course he can never save the ENTIRE world, duh, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. It seems to me that the pessimistic defeatist attitude often leads to apathy. As for the cliche, it sucks ass but will never go away....it's hard to find ANY news headline that doesn't contain some stupid cliche.

Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa
no, but none of us have the time or money he does to go around doing what hes doing.

Very, very true. But wouldn't you rather he spend time helping people than scumming around shooting up heroin, snorting cocaine and banging sluts he won't remember the next day, then being found dead on a couch or a toilet like some other rock stars? They're not going to spend every second making music anyway, so who's time is better spent?

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Very, very true. But wouldn't you rather he spend time helping people than scumming around shooting up heroin, snorting cocaine and banging sluts he won't remember the next day, then being found dead on a couch or a toilet like some other rock stars? They're not going to spend every second making music anyway, so who's time is better spent?

Exactly.

No, Bono's not going to solve every problem in this world-I'm fully aware of that, but like stated earlier, at least he's trying, and to me that's better than doing zilch and just letting people die away. If one person can be helped, then this world's a little bit better place. If we can make this world even slightly better, then it'll be good.

Besides, no, we don't all have the time and money, but even with small gestures, we can help out at least somewhat. I don't think Bono expects everyone to do some grandiose gesture for the Africans.

I'm sorry, but I still believe that we should do what we can to make this world a better place. I'm not ready to get all cynical and pessimistic yet. And it doesn't seem like Bono is ready yet, either. Which is good.

Besides, I'm not gonna complain about waiting for new music, because I'm gonna look at it this way-at least I know I'll be alive to enjoy it later on when it does finally come out. I wonder how many African children can say that right now?

Angela

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly.

No, Bono's not going to solve every problem in this world-I'm fully aware of that, but like stated earlier, at least he's trying, and to me that's better than doing zilch and just letting people die away. If one person can be helped, then this world's a little bit better place. If we can make this world even slightly better, then it'll be good.

Besides, no, we don't all have the time and money, but even with small gestures, we can help out at least somewhat. I don't think Bono expects everyone to do some grandiose gesture for the Africans.

I'm sorry, but I still believe that we should do what we can to make this world a better place. I'm not ready to get all cynical and pessimistic yet. And it doesn't seem like Bono is ready yet, either. Which is good.

Besides, I'm not gonna complain about waiting for new music, because I'm gonna look at it this way-at least I know I'll be alive to enjoy it later on when it does finally come out. I wonder how many African children can say that right now?

Angela

Great post, Angela! I would like to also add that for those saying that we don't have enough money or time, that's complete bull. As Bono so often says, it's costs only $4 to reduce a baby's chance of contracting AIDS from it's mother by 60%. That's one third as much as it costs to be a premium member of this forum. Also consider the people on this forum who've already made great strides for this cause (SD with Jubilee, those involved with the African Well Fund, and many others). There's really no excuse.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Great post, Angela! I would like to also add that for those saying that we don't have enough money or time, that's complete bull. As Bono so often says, it's costs only $4 to reduce a baby's chance of contracting AIDS from it's mother by 60%. That's one third as much as it costs to be a premium member of this forum. Also consider the people on this forum who've already made great strides for this cause (SD with Jubilee, those involved with the African Well Fund, and many others). There's really no excuse.

:yes:.

Exactly.

Angela

U2Kitten said:

this is just not a very well thought out question. your making it sound like bono has only two options:

a) be in the news regarding africa every day

or

b) scumming around shooting up heroin, snorting cocaine and banging sluts he won't remember the next day, then being found dead on a couch or a toilet like some other rock stars

Well, Bono IS the Frontman of the Band! Does not mind being in the puplic eye..esp. with all his political work, and the others, well, they DO have A life...outside the band. And families..yada, yada, yada! Oh, and I LOVE Bono-the more the merrier for Me!! Yum!:>) MORE BONO! lol!

Say after me girls..........30 Odd Foot of Grunt
30 Odd Fott of Grunt
TOFOG..a band, 5 members, all important ,all going to be theron the night.

If I hear one more person say they are going to see Russell Crowe....why I'll....I'll...

explain to them that he is, on this ocassion a member of a band. He couldn't do it without them. I think Russ could well have sold tickets just for people to stare at him....so could Bono I suppose.

It is the price you pay for being the frontman, the media identity.No one ever notices the bass player:(
('cept me:drool:...) It's Bono's job, Paul McG probably has a big old prod..."get outta bed Bono, go get some publicity" as far as U2 related stuff goes. Bono's humanitarian work is something he just has to do, and the media, thank goodness, take an interest.

I know you're j/k......U2, U4, U3, U One...however the news comes....it's all good:hug:

He didn't ask nor does he need anyone's Permission, to do whatever he please's. Whether you like his activism or not isn't really of much great concern to him, or to the people he's helping. All they know is someone is helping and in a global way. He has a mission and to coin a phrase, you can love it or leave it. He's going to help Africa and all nations will be better for it. So be it.
Oh, and he doesn't HAVE to do it. He could just sit back and say f***it, like so many people wish he would.

Back
Top Bottom