Bono the Preacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
After seeing Bono's speech at the NAACP, I feel that he is slowly being called to be a preacher. I do not know in what sense exactly, perhaps more like an MLK, a preacher with a cause, than a churchhouse preacher.

For those who have not seen the speech, watch it for no other reason than the last minute. It gave me chills.

Over the last several years, I have watched Bono turn from a self-effacing, nervous speaker into an increasingly powerful one. When he said "Allow me to step into the pulpit," it finally allowed something to trigger in his brain, where he shed all of the stage fright and bashfulness, and let loose the spirit!

What do you all think of Bono's preaching ability? It seems that it will be a natural extension of U2, if they ever throw in the towel...

Seriously, something filled that man. He was channeling it. I believe this skill of his will only grow.

I believe he knows where God wants him to go especially as the believer he is. I really don't think he would want to become an actual "preacher", but if that is the only way he could make people wake up and listen then thats what he will do.
Even though the speech was short it was powerfully amazing, I really wonder if was reading from his notes or if he just went off. It really was incredible.

In all honesty, I could never have him as my preacher, I wouldn't be able to worship with him at the pulpit. It would be a sin anyway.
:giggle:

I do not believe he could ever lead services, for instance. But in the sense of being a powerful speaker who getting more comfortable to let the spirit move him (whatever you want to call that), I believe he is continuing to move that way...

JCOSTER said:
I believe he knows where God wants him to go especially as the believer he is. I really don't think he would want to become an actual "preacher", but if that is the only way he could make people wake up and listen then thats what he will do.
Even though the speech was short it was powerfully amazing, I really wonder if was reading from his notes or if he just went off. It really was incredible.

I agree with this. He's actually been good at speeches for a long time. This was one of his better ones though. The last part about "God being with . . ." is actually a line he's used before. Not that that's bad, but I think that helped him get more into it emotionally. It's definitely something he believes (as do I).

As I posted b4, he lit that room on fire. I'm telling U, when the spirit moves U, it moves U and those around U.

It reminded me of the ONE church I ever attended, which was a Pentecostal, predominantly attended by Blacks, in which I ever felt @ home.

Bono is at his best when he's passionate and angry. The last few years, he's been too careful and too politically-savvy, IMO, when he speaks. (I'm only talking about his style, not the substance of the speeches.)

The NAACP speech was one of the best I've ever seen him give. The "let ME step into the pulpit" had the same emphasis of that old "come up to ME and talk about the revolution" speech from SBS in R&H.

I don't think preaching and public speaking are synonymous. Somehow I just can't see Bono dropping everything to devote several years to seminary.

Liesje said:
I don't think preaching and public speaking are synonymous. Somehow I just can't see Bono dropping everything to devote several years to seminary.

Exactly. Although, I'd argue his theology is better than many who come out of seminary. Certainly his actions and attitude toward social justice are. He definitely knows the scriptures, too.

I think Bono's a preacher of sorts, he just does it in his own way to a much bigger audience. :wink:

Hi! I'm new here in Interference. I think it's a great site. And, I love Bono and U2. Yes, Bono tore the room up, out and away. He had those people on their feet. Man, I was psyched. Up until this point, I had been on a U2 fest. I have spent closed to $400 on U2 merchandise. I asked God, to slap me down if I purchase another U2 item. Anyway, I got some pictures to. I have a photobook of U2 and Bono pictures. I'm even planning on splitting them and making them separately the way some people do on their websites. I'll check in again later. I have to study for my exams. I just wanted to stop in and give a shout.

Peace:wink:

a guy that has been swearing in public?

and worn devil's horns?

no way.

coemgen said:

Exactly. Although, I'd argue his theology is better than many who come out of seminary. Certainly his actions and attitude toward social justice are. He definitely knows the scriptures, too.

I think Bono's a preacher of sorts, he just does it in his own way to a much bigger audience. :wink:

I think it's more Christ-like (as in, more in line with how Christ acted and preached) and more altruistic, but sometimes he seems rather shallow, theologically. I don't think he IS shallow, I think he just seems that way b/c why would he want to discuss his personal views on the creation story, Biblical exegesis, Christ as human vs. Christ as divine, etc.

I think in order to be a great preacher/pastor/priest/reverend, you have to have a good balance of both. Bono might be a great candidate in that he already has what most of the book-smart theologians and clergy lack: he practices what he preaches and he challenges people to be better Christians using the most relevant issues available (i.e., social justice and poverty are a better venue for being examples of Christian compassion than banning books with the word scrotum).

I think he could have been a preacher, but only if he had never become a "celebrity." But, yeah, it was like something came over him during his speech. I can tell that he has become a better speaker in the past few years. He used to stammer more and seemed a little scatterbrained, but he was totally with it and awake on Friday night. I was flabbergasted!

It occurred to me, also, that Bono said one time that he was giving up booze for Lent. I couldn't help but wonder if not drinking helped him speak better or if he is just better at it? But he may not have given it up this year. Just a thought. :shrug:

Bono has been preaching for years. When I leave a U2 concert, I feel like I've participated in a church service like no other.

Liesje said:

I think it's more Christ-like (as in, more in line with how Christ acted and preached) and more altruistic, but sometimes he seems rather shallow, theologically. I don't think he IS shallow, I think he just seems that way b/c why would he want to discuss his personal views on the creation story, Biblical exegesis, Christ as human vs. Christ as divine, etc.
Agreed. That's what I was trying to get at. I don't know why I didn't just come out and say it. Thanks for clearing up my thoughts. When he does share his theological views, I think he's on. I think he avoids a lot of it for obvious reasons.

I think in order to be a great preacher/pastor/priest/reverend, you have to have a good balance of both. Bono might be a great candidate in that he already has what most of the book-smart theologians and clergy lack: he practices what he preaches and he challenges people to be better Christians using the most relevant issues available
Right on, sister.

(i.e., social justice and poverty are a better venue for being examples of Christian compassion than banning books with the word scrotum).
Ummmm. You said $cr@t*m.

Bono's been "a preacher stealin' hearts at a traveling' show for years." Think about it.

Rachel D. said:
I think he could have been a preacher, but only if he had never become a "celebrity." But, yeah, it was like something came over him during his speech. I can tell that he has become a better speaker in the past few years. He used to stammer more and seemed a little scatterbrained, but he was totally with it and awake on Friday night. I was flabbergasted!

It occurred to me, also, that Bono said one time that he was giving up booze for Lent. I couldn't help but wonder if not drinking helped him speak better or if he is just better at it? But he may not have given it up this year. Just a thought. :shrug:

When he is speaking from a prepared speech or notes he is much more coherent than when he is speaking off the top of his head. You mention the stammering and seeming scatterbrained which is most noticeable when he is trying to think of what he wants to says as he is saying it. The news reports from Oakland on the same day as the awards show is a good example of this. He was not giving stock answers to questions so he was thinking as he spoke and as such was hesitant and a bit incoherent at times. Part of that I think is that he is probably going through different ways to say what he wants to say in his head trying to match the right one to whoever he is addressing and sometimes it sounds like he's trying to say something two different ways at once and getting them mixed up.

If you notice that he started off hesitant and a bit stammery at the beginning. The parts of the speech that flowed the best are the sections that he has used before in other speeches so they are comfortable and familiar. The end of this speech, the "God is with...." litany was used in the National Prayer Breadfast speech and most likely has been used in others. If he plans what he wants to say ahead of time he is smooth in his delivery but when he is speaking off the cuff he tends to hesitate and stammer a bit and sometimes things come out kind of scrambled or he'll start one line of thought and switch to another midstream.

Another factor is that in spite of his years on stage he still is shy and has stage fright a bit. Which gets worse if he is not getting a positive reaction from his audience. As he gets positive feedback from the audience he gets more relaxed and comfortable and more confident. I think the positive reaction he was getting during the speech allowed him the freedom to cut loose at the end like that and the last section had a bit of a feedback loop going there as their response fueled his delivery which in turn got a stronger response, etc.

Dana

Val said:
Bono has been preaching for years. When I leave a U2 concert, I feel like I've participated in a church service like no other.

Exactly. Bono already is a preacher, the most effective preacher God could have ever hoped to inspire. It blows my mind when I think of the genius behind it. The loving non-judgemental philosophy the whole band believes in cannot compare to a preacher stuck in a church building or arena saying the same thing, the same way to the same people over and over. U2's message is universally appealing and therefore reaches many more on many levels. They definitely "draw their fish in the sand" for those who want it to see it. It's not there for those that don't want to see it. How sexy is that?
It's genius and it's the way bring hope to a hopeless world.
U2 I think is much bigger than we know.... it's kind of spooky. :)
Oh and that thing moving Bono during his speech? It's called the HOLY SPIRIT.
:D Peace

I see him being a Billy Graham-type of preacherman in his later years - like when he's in his 60's and older. He also has a very high regard for Billy Graham.

Jeannieco said:

Exactly. Bono already is a preacher, the most effective preacher God could have ever hoped to inspire. It blows my mind when I think of the genius behind it. The loving non-judgemental philosophy the whole band believes in cannot compare to a preacher stuck in a church building or arena saying the same thing, the same way to the same people over and over. U2's message is universally appealing and therefore reaches many more on many levels. They definitely "draw their fish in the sand" for those who want it to see it. It's not there for those that don't want to see it. How sexy is that?

:bow: :applaud: You took the words right out of my mouth. "Goal" misses you.:shifty:

Jeannieco said:

Beautifully stated and your right kinda spooky too. I know exactly what you mean.

dietcokeofevil said:
Bono...please get your arse out of the pulpit and back into the studio.

:lol:

I am a little surprised at the current flurry of Africa/PR-related events and appearances recently. He did say that he was going to put this stuff on the backburner, let other people take over for a while, and focus on recording. Have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I'm hoping that this is a scheduled cluster of events to get them out of the way and not have them spread out throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom