Bono: The Man Of Many Voices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
Bono has obviously changed his style many times over the years. Although this may be too simplified, I've identified the following vocal incarnations of Bono Vox, most evident in live performances:

1) Early Years (1980-82). Sounds pretty good most of the time, but hasn't yet found his true voice yet.
2) War to Conspiracy of Hope (1983-86). Starts to sound s little bit more "rock and roll." Trademark soaring vocals are developed. Also begins to explore the lower range of his voice.
3) Joshua Tree (1987-88). Edgier, gritter voice. Bono increases his range, but sometimes sounds like Kermit The Frog (thanks, Snowlock!)
4) Lovetown (1989-90). Similar to Joshua Tree, but the voice is more powerful - screams a lot. Kermit is less evident.
5) Early 90's (1991-95). Still powerful, with a great depth and range. The start of Bono's falsetto period.
6) Popmart (1996-99). Bono's voive goes south. His range is diminished, the power is gone. Can't hit the high notes, and when he tries he sounds like Lemmy from Motorhead.
7) New Millenium Bono (2000-2005). The voice returneth! Not quite as powerful as the late 80's, but the range is just as good if not better than ever before.

personally, I like Bono's current voice better than any other, although Lovetown is a close second.

Which voice to you prefer, and why?

Last edited:
Probably Lovetown. He was still screaming a lot, with the touch of the lower, thicker/gravely Zoo TV voice but still the characteristic 80's Bono "colour" of his voice. Lovely falsetto too. Night and Day vocal sums it up best.

After that, his current voice. It started with Kite on ATYCLB, continued with Electrical Storm and Hands that built America and on Bomb. More clarity, more range than years before - also very good live. Favorite: either Kite or Mercy.

Also, honorable mention to UF voice. Out with the wailings of early Bono, here comes the more controlled, lower, "wider" voice. Favorite: Bad.

U2girl said:

Also, honorable mention to UF voice. Out with the wailings of early Bono, here comes the more controlled, lower voice.

good point. I'll edit my original post.

I'd go with the Lovetown voice, for its power, passion, depth, and range. But who's shocked? :wink:

Second would be his early days voice, and third would be today.

I love his actual voice, it's powerful and he's even hitting opera notes.

Beside that I love almost all of his voice between The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa. I like Pop but that was his worst vocal perfomance maybe.

Gotta go with Early 90's. Whether that is his best technically speaking or not, I don't know. Probably not. But he has never sounded that cool before or since, and neither has anyone else.

Sorry for the double post. Server issues.

Last edited:
Lovetown, if only for those deep, deep intros to songs like Streets and One Tree Hill that make me fall out of my chair. And the entirety of With or Without You. Oh man.

*goes off to... listen to Lovetown bootlegs* :wink:

I don't blame Bono for his voice being crap during PopMart...

...I wonder how it wuld've been without the surgery and rushedness of Pop

I'd have to say I'm a fan of both the War-Conspiracy of Hope voice and Joshua Tree voice. I guess I'm an 80's voice fan.

5) The early 90s. His falsetto then was simply amazing. Listen to live versions of Can't Help Falling in Love, coming after nearly two full hours of singing...it's incredible what his voice could do then. :heart:

Early 90s of course... without batting an eyelid.

Until The End Of The World, both studio and live!

Enough said.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, during the Zoo Era, I don't think Bono really lost that much of what his voice was during the JT/R&H era. I think he just developed/learned different techniques of singing. I think, if he wanted to, he could have sang 'Bad' in 1992 or 1993 the same way he did in 1988 or 1989. But he chose not to. Personally I'm glad he developed those new techniques. Just listen to 'Love Is Blindness', record or live, doesn't matter. I think that's one of his best vocal performances.

miss becky said:
5) The early 90s. His falsetto then was simply amazing. Listen to live versions of Can't Help Falling in Love, coming after nearly two full hours of singing...it's incredible what his voice could do then. :heart:

Yes, that has always completely baffled me as well :huh: :drool:

Probably ZooTV era, though now (Elevation-Vertigo) is a close close second. It always amazes me how much Bono can change his voice.

BlackElectric said:
I'd have to say the War-Conspiracy of Hope voice

Absolutely agree !! :up:

1983 was when I became a fan, I absolutely loved his voice from back then. :yes:

Secondly, I'd say his voice now, I just wish it was still as "strong ... powerful" as before. :bow: :applaud:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom