Bono: Taking piano & writing new songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why's everyone suddenly thinking he's writing piano songs or even ballads? He's using the piano to compose, that's a whole different thing.

Paul McCartney used the piano for composing too, yet he nearly always played bass while performing.

U2DMfan said:

I agree and I think it's great news.

It's a good starting point and it can only help.

In fact this is the best news yet, not that Bono will turn into Billy Joel, he's taking lessons from children's teacher mind you, it's that instead of Edge coming up with most, if not all of the music initially, Bono might have 5 or 6 ideas that could help speed up the writing process.

When you start learning how the chords go together, as opposed to tinkling out melodies and saying "Hey, Edge...like this", it starts to really come together in ways it never did before. At least that's my experience, I've read musicisna who say the same thing.

:yes: Like others said, these are bits and pieces that will help start work on the next U2 product (EP? album?). I don't think he is capable of writing full-on songs on piano just yet. It will be interesting, if he pursues this long enough, how this will expand on his songwriting.

I figure Bono feels in debt as the rest (Edge in particular) had to work so much without him on Bomb. I also hope them being in the studio means the health issue is getting better.

Piano songs could be anything from NYD, Running to stand still, So Cruel, Stuck, OOTS, October...not all piano songs are pop.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've read all this and some of you have it right, but I must say, I have been a U2 fan for a very long time and have never been disappointed with their music.
The lyrics are always meaningful, whether it be ballad, rebel song or full on rock. Bono is a musical (lyrical) genius and without Adam, Larry and Edge, there would be only Bono! No U2 :(
Personally, I think they are getting better as time goes by and would welcome any new music by the guys, whatever it is that they choose to share with us!:love: :heart:

LJT said:
Why does using piano automatically make people think of Coldplay:huh:

Coldplay are not the only band on earth to ever use piano, they did not invent piano either...just because another band uses piano, does not mean any desire to imitate Coldplay.

Lots of early rock n roll used piano...listen to something like Loving Cup by the Stones on Exile On Main Street, better yet check out some blues piano....all very un-Coldplay like......

:up:

Because everyone wants to blame Coldplay for something. :rolleyes:

I bet Chris Martin stole Bono's October lyrics.

Sken said:
I wish Bono and U2 would just go into a complete media blackout regarding the new album, he can still do the Africa stuff. Finish the tour, go to the studio and don't drop any hints about whats coming. There's no need to justify to fans or reporters what instruments he is playing with or what lyrics he has come up with. Simply come back a year or two later with the finished product and release it in a big way.

I'd much rather be surprised by the finished product rather than know every step of the way roughly what the album will be.

We're all pretty surprised anyway, since Bono is notorious for not being truthful about what's actually happening in the studio. Remember when ATYCLB was going to be a raw rock record? And Atomic Bomb was going to be 'punk rock from Venus'?

Did anyone in the Chicagoland area hear Eric and Kathy talking about this this morning? :lmao:

"And everytiime bono hits a wrong note the rest of the band silently grimaces"

the tourist said:
Hopefully, it'll be less of a piano sound and more of a keyboard sound. Like a Killers-y synth. :)

:no:

AxverKeep in mind that Bono won't want to be stuck behind a piano for multiple songs during a concert. I think that's why Sweetest Thing hasn't been played all that much. So I think it's fairly likely that these songs will go to Edge, or at least to guitar.

So who will play guitar then? Will it look like this?

Bono - Guitar hero
Edge - Pianist
Adam - Drummer
Larry - Bass dude
Patti Smith - Vocals?????

God help us all. :|

If Bono played keys a bit instead of Edge, that would really add to their live sound. I like the fact that the band can learn new instruments as they go along. I know that Larry & Adam both had lessons in the early 90's. With just simple instrumentation they write great songs. Look at what a cool song October is, & the piano is beginner style.

It would be good for him to play piano on OOTS so Edge can be on electric guitar everytime.

In all honesty he should be able to play songs like OOTS with no problem at all. There are no complicated U2 piano songs. Any one of us could learn to play OOTS within a matter of weeks I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom